• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn Director trumpet with Coprion bell - thoughts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christophomicus

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Conn Director trumpet with Coprion bell - thoughts? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Four trumpets isn't nearly enough to call a collection, so I figured I'd get a few more to make it legit. I've been keeping my eye on a nice Conn Director with the Coprion bell for a few days now, and the auction's ending soon on eBay, so I was thinking of swooping in and grabbing it. Lacquer looks about 95% intact. The horn looks so damn gorgeous I'll probably buy it anyway just to look at.

Anyone played one? How much should I pay before it becomes too much?
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay much more than 100 USD. Maybe $150 if it is in excellent to mint condition. They are just very solid student trumpets. Not unlike the Olds Ambassadors, but prettier.

The Coprion Director *cornets*, on the other hand... Still only fetch about $100-150, but the ones from the correct years have gorgeous tone!
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Mdbri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnArtist wrote:
The Coprion Director *cornets*, on the other hand... Still only fetch about $100-150, but the ones from the correct years have gorgeous tone!

Sorry, but what are the correct years? I'm looking for a cornet, and I wouldn't mind a nice Conn Director.

Thanks.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best years, in my opinion, are 1958-1959. This is when they had the large bore (0.485") and the 5" Connstellation bell. The cornets. *not* the trumpets!

It is not as free blowing as some large-bores, and a lot of resistance in the upper register, but the timbre is gorgeous. I think most would prefer not to use this as a pro horn, but I play with this on gigs all the time because, though it is a bit harder to play up high, the tone is just gorgeous with a proper, deep mpc.

Some people say these sound like flugelhorns, but I say they just sound the way a cornet *should* sound. Very mellow. I use words like "buttery" "smokey" and "velvet" to describe the texture of sounds that emanate from this horn...
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Conn Director trumpet with Coprion bell - thoughts? Reply with quote

Christophomicus wrote:
Hi folks,

Four trumpets isn't nearly enough to call a collection, so I figured I'd get a few more to make it legit. I've been keeping my eye on a nice Conn Director with the Coprion bell for a few days now, and the auction's ending soon on eBay, so I was thinking of swooping in and grabbing it. Lacquer looks about 95% intact. The horn looks so damn gorgeous I'll probably buy it anyway just to look at.

Anyone played one? How much should I pay before it becomes too much?

Better to look at than play IMO.

Kind of dull sounding.

Decent student horn.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Conn Director trumpet with Coprion bell - thoughts? Reply with quote

Quote:

Better to look at than play IMO.

Kind of dull sounding.

Decent student horn.

My first horn was a Conn Director from 1969 or 1970. I always remembered it being a fairly tight blowing horn, and quite bright. A friend of mine in our concert band actually brought one to rehearsal the other night. It is in amazingly good condition. She let me play it...and it played exactly as I remembered it...tight and bright. However, neither my Director "way back when," or my friend's Director had the Coprion bell...so I can't say how that combination would play.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Mdbri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ConnArtist
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 1970 Coprion Director locally on craigslist... $40.
There is a `62 one in nice condition on eBay right now.
Kosax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son has a 1958 (verified by serial number) Conn Director Coprion trumpet. Either someone removed the lacquer or it has totally worn off, but is totally gone. I bought this for him around 2011 and think I paid 125 dollars for it. Now my son is an outstanding trumpet player-- Played lead in the Cadets D&B and passed audition for the Marine Corps D&B in DC, also scholarship to Univ of the Arts in Philly. He absolutely loves this horn and states that it has a nice mellow sound. States they are much better then any modern student horn. I definately think it depends on what year(s) of production though. I've heard the 1958-59 ones are the best.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Conn shooting stars Director trumpet with coprion bell that might go for cheap: Conn - Trumpet - In Case - Not Tested
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: