• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Props to ACB!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Props to ACB! Reply with quote

Really like ACB’s products and service. Their generous return policy is a welcome way to find a perfect fit and avoid ending up with an expensive paperweight collection!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree- I cycle between three mouthpieces I've bought from them - all excellent.
https://yourbrass.com/
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me on trumpet, ACB makes the best mouthpiece that works FOR ME.

Best balance between efficiency and great sound, easy response and very flexible.
Rim is VERY comfortable and I get plenty of over and 'under' tones, giving me a beautiful sound.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bounce between probably too many mouthpieces - ACB and Monette on trumpet (with one Pickett thrown in the mix), Monette and Bach on cornet, Curry on flugel - but ACB definitely makes some of the most efficient and most comfortable mouthpieces out there, in an incredible array of styles, blanks, cups, rims, etc. We're lucky to have such dedicated craftspeople.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that ACB mouthpieces work best for a couple of my horns. They make great products and are very helpful in guiding you to solutions.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Scott42486
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an ACB mouthpiece on my main horn and can say the quality is way up there and the value is great too.

Also purchased a doubler's flugel from them at ITG for a killer deal and couldn't be happier. You will have to spend SIGNIFICANTLY more on a flugel to have a noticeable jump in quality/performance.

It also helps that Trent is a pretty cool guy and I feel good spending money supporting his shop.
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repeat the message written on another topic:

I have 3 of their mouthpieces: the TA1, the TA2 and the MV 3C.
Personally I have never been comfortable with these mouthpieces. I don't consider them exceptional at all. I just don't like the TA1 how it sounds. The TA2 slightly better, but it's not for me. The MV 3C has an rim that I am not comfortable with. It doesn't hold me back, I'm always in the balance. However, this too is not the sound I want and in any case it is very far from the Bach 3C MT VERNON.
Like all mouthpieces, some people like it, others don't. I sold all 3 of them.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a TA1CS today. I had been using the regular TA1 but never found the medium deep cup to my liking. I use the regular TA! for band work and the ACB 5CS for solo, playing jazz standards, etc.

I already tried the TA1CS ( similar to the ACB 3CS cup ) and it is a winner. I'll probably end up using it for everything. I also like the fact that the TA1CS has a shorter shank.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACB makes the best cornet mouthpiece I've ever used (1.25C-b).
678music

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered one of the Custom Reserve pieces from ACB. I'm looking forward to giving it a test drive and seeing what the experience is all about. Trent and the crew are outstanding and I've had all positive experiences with them.
brassmoose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say...I've been unhappy with my experiences with ACB. I made several purchases, both through their ebay store & their web site, and had stock problems. Both ebay purchases were refunded because the item was no longer available. And twice I ordered stock items from their website where, after several days, I asked "where's my shipping info?" and the reply was "oh, we'll need to make that...it'll take 8 weeks." Um, no stock info on the site? 8 weeks for custom, sure. 8 weeks for out of stock, sure. But not a word on their site about availability. I requested a refund & explained my experiences and all I got was a "here's your refund, thanks". No attempt to retain my business.

I do own 3 ACB mouthpieces (all for sale, BTW). The 1.25CS Gen II top has a really nice sound, but the rim peaks too close to the ID, so no good for me. I have a 1.5R Gen II top with the same peak issue, but feels as big as the 1.25CS (bigger? for a 1.5?) and has an odd tone to it. I also have a one-piece 1.5C that sounds really mellow and nice, but sounds like it's out in the room, not in or near the horn. Strange. I love the width of the rim on it, but again it peaks too close to the ID, so the wide rim is useless to me and it feels ultimately like a narrow rim.

Certainly, this is all personal preference for feel & tone & rim issues--no grudge there--but given the sales and stock experiences, my days with ACB are over.

With that said, I hope you enjoy your ACB pieces. Just had to share my experience and sad face.

Cheers,
- Moose
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand . . .

I have nothing but excellent and personal relation with ACB. This is a custom Adams trpt, Adams flglhn., Committee, Yamaha and a few mouthpieces. On one occasion, they actually hunted down a horn I was looking for.

The TA-1 CS I have is very comfortable and I use it with my Committee to feed my inner Chet Baker. I usually orbit around Purviance 5*K4 but this ACB is a good match with my Commuttee.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased 3 ACB mouthpieces in the past. Never got on well with anyone.
Never understood the success of the ACB mouthpieces, but obviously someone likes them.
puzzleheadedcow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALETRUMPET wrote:
Purchased 3 ACB mouthpieces in the past. Never got on well with anyone.
Never understood the success of the ACB mouthpieces, but obviously someone likes them.

My Custom Reserve mouthpiece fits me like a finely tailored suit. Delivered quickly, packed incredibly well, and I received amazing professional followup. Beats the heck out of other companies I have worked with in the past.

The good part is that if you don't like a certain brand there's plenty of others that will be able to hopefully help you! I am never looking back!

PHC
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different strokes for different folks. Especially when it comes to mouthpieces.

I remember some time ago I had a trumpet friend visiting me. We tried out each others equipment, to see how they play.

He wanted me to try his favorite mouthpiece, which he really loves. It was awful for me, when tried it.

I let him tried my favorite ACB mouthpiece and he also had an awful time playing on it.

Which shows clearly that the mouthpiece that works for me, may not work for you.

I have played Bach, Curry, Monette, GR and Marcinkiewicz Mouthpieces. And for me the ACB mouthpiece played much better then any of the other mentioned. Much more comfortable, more colors and responded much better to my lips vibrating.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="brassmoose"]Gotta say...I've been unhappy with my experiences with ACB. I made several purchases, both through their ebay store & their web site, and had stock problems. Both ebay purchases were refunded because the item was no longer available. And twice I ordered stock items from their website where, after several days, I asked "where's my shipping info?" and the reply was "oh, we'll need to make that...it'll take 8 weeks." Um, no stock info on the site? 8 weeks for custom, sure. 8 weeks for out of stock, sure. But not a word on their site about availability. I requested a refund & explained my experiences and all I got was a "here's your refund, thanks". No attempt to retain my business.

I do own 3 ACB mouthpieces (all for sale, BTW). The 1.25CS Gen II top has a really nice sound, but the rim peaks too close to the ID, so no good for me. I have a 1.5R Gen II top with the same peak issue, but feels as big as the 1.25CS (bigger? for a 1.5?) and has an odd tone to it. I also have a one-piece 1.5C that sounds really mellow and nice, but sounds like it's out in the room, not in or near the horn. Strange. I love the width of the rim on it, but again it peaks too close to the ID, so the wide rim is useless to me and it feels ultimately like a narrow rim.

Certainly, this is all personal preference for feel & tone & rim issues--no grudge there--but given the sales and stock experiences, my days with ACB are over.

With that said, I hope you enjoy your ACB pieces. Just had to share my experience and sad face.

Cheers,
- Moose[/quote]

Here is my perspective.

I ordered a flugelhorn mouthpiece last spring and it took a very long time due to an issue with the platers. Not ACB's fault.

I also ask what they have in stock before I order. I have a buddy who ordered a Pickett mouthpiece and the turnaround time was at least 4 weeks for a 3C. Probably a plating issue as well.

I have bought many things from ACB and always had a positive experience. There are some manufacturing things beyond their control in the times we are living in.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an addendum to show a nice touch. I have recently bought an Adams and a Martin trumpet from ACB and in both cases got an eMail with a short recorded play demo of my horn before it went out to me. Classy.
(Wish I had the chops of the demonstratee.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Just an addendum to show a nice touch. I have recently bought an Adams and a Martin trumpet from ACB and in both cases got an eMail with a short recorded play demo of my horn before it went out to me. Classy.

They did the same for me when I bought my Olds Recording. Yes, that is a nice touch.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

They did the same for me when I bought my Olds Recording. Yes, that is a nice touch.
George

As they did for my flugelhorn. It's a wonderful touch.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: