• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

If "The Adam Routine" isn't a warmup, what is?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: If "The Adam Routine" isn't a warmup, what is? Reply with quote

I know that whatever is used as an Adam-inspired warmup, concentrates first and foremost, with attitude; a clear sound concept, etc But given that, what is a good, specific routine that melds with Adam principles? What's a good Adam inspired routine between mouthpipe blowing and "The Adam Routine"? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're looking for. People can argue all day about what constitutes a "warmup" and what constitutes a "daily routine," and frankly the semantic argument there is pretty much pointless and only exists because some people feel that warming up for more than [5 minutes/10 minutes/1 nanosecond] is an indication that you are bad and you should feel bad.

Mr. Adam never said this to me, but I've heard from multiple people that when asked what they should do if they didn't have time to play their routine before a gig or rehearsal or whatever, his answer was typically, "Get up earlier." So whatever you want to call it, I think that most of us play most of our routine before we do anything else. If somebody interprets that to mean that I warm up for an hour every day, that's fine I guess. I have a job playing the trumpet and that's what I do to ensure that this situation continues. (And for the record, the more I have to play in the day, the more diligent I am about playing my full routine.)

Anyhow — to give a more concrete answer, I feel pretty good about playing the trumpet after:

- leadpipe
- long tones
- Clarke
- chromatics
- Glantz

If I'm pressed for time, I might only do a dozen or so long tones and a dozen or so Clarkes. But I try not to make a habit of this. My full routine isn't much more than that — I just add some Thieck and Williams.

So I guess that's kind of an answer? I think the underlying principle is something like this: Make a great sound on one note. Then practice keeping that great sound as you expand outwards from the centre of your range. Then add tonguing and flexibility in whatever order works.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was looking for. Thanks, Richard.

I was asking because in the Adam Forum, those in the know all said that the "Adam Rourine was not a warmup, so I wanted to know what people did before they went into the Adam Routine.

Much of what you call Warmup is already in the Adam Routine, though.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this in a post I made on another thread 15 years ago!

“… Any good player (and definitely any pro) needs to be able to play well (to be "warmed up") 5 minutes after they get out of the car and hit the stage or the studio. However, the deeper I get into my playing day (and the more of my daily routine I work through) the better I will play.

In other words, if I can warm up for 5 minutes I can pretty much play whatever I need to and sound good and not hurt myself. If I can follow that up with another hour or two of practice I will be so much more physically attuned to the instrument and mentally relxed and focused that my playing will improve markedly. If I practice the proper way for 2 hours before a gig I will have more endurance and play better on the last set than if I only have time for a 5 minute warm-up.

If this is not true you probably are doing the wrong kind of practice routine.

However, reality dictates that you can't be addicted to a long and deliberate practice session masquerading as a warm-up.”
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
That's what I was looking for. Thanks, Richard.

I was asking because in the Adam Forum, those in the know all said that the "Adam Rourine was not a warmup, so I wanted to know what people did before they went into the Adam Routine.

Much of what you call Warmup is already in the Adam Routine, though.

Yes — whether you call it a warmup or not, it's the first thing I do every day.
ECG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember years ago Robert Baca saying that the routine is the quickest way into your sound. You can't focus on your sound if your mind is in a state of panic or if you are constantly playing difficult, hard, heavy-hitting literature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: