• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ohio Band Company (Reynolds) Regent Vintage 1967 Raw Brass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldlipguitarplayer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Ohio Band Company (Reynolds) Regent Vintage 1967 Raw Brass Reply with quote

Ohio Band Company (Reynolds) Regent Vintage 1967 Raw Brass Cornet In Excellent Condition
---
I saw this horn on reverb. I like the idea of the raw brass look. Says excellent condition. Anyone? Opinion? Listed as cornet, I wrote note to seller and he said more like a bit small trumpet.

Thanks for you help.

https://reverb.com/item/28286264-ohio-band-company-reynolds-regent-vintage-1967-raw-brass-cornet-in-excellent-condition
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from 1940. Several companies used variations of this design. Interesting if you want to start collecting - though too pricey for me.

https://www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/Roth_list.html

If this is to be your first or only cornet, I would not recommend it to you at any price.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio Band Company (Reynolds) Regent Vintage 1967 Raw Bra Reply with quote

oldlipguitarplayer wrote:
Ohio Band Company (Reynolds) Regent Vintage 1967 Raw Brass Cornet In Excellent Condition
---
I saw this horn on reverb. I like the idea of the raw brass look. Says excellent condition. Anyone? Opinion? Listed as cornet, I wrote note to seller and he said more like a bit small trumpet.

Thanks for you help.

https://reverb.com/item/28286264-ohio-band-company-reynolds-regent-vintage-1967-raw-brass-cornet-in-excellent-condition

That does look like a Regent B flat / A cornet, as per https://contemporacorner.com/cornets/regent-cornets/.

I personally think Reynolds and its subsidiaries like Ohio Band Company are sleeper horns. Not as well known as Conn or Olds or Martin or other standard bearers of early through mid 20th century trumpet and cornet manufacture, but not necessarily any less in quality. Reynolds worked at York, ran the White (King) factory for decades, started his own brand, sold it, and later was coaxed out of retirement by Olds, where he developed several of their horns (like the Mendez) and hired Ziggy Kanstul. He's a major connecting thread in American trumpet manufacturing and design, in other words.

I have not played a Regent but find my Reynolds Argenta to be well built and of surprisingly good intonation, so much so that I may be eyeing another Reynolds horn.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
This is from 1940. Several companies used variations of this design. Interesting if you want to start collecting - though too pricey for me.

https://www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/Roth_list.html

If this is to be your first or only cornet, I would not recommend it to you at any price.

I agree with this. I just wrote that Reynolds made great horns, and I stand by it, but that's a lot of money for one of their more introductory / intermediate horns. I've seen Contempora cornets go for not much more than that, along with pro-level mid-century cornets from Conn, Olds, etc. It's an interesting horn, but that's a high price.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a student cornet. I've had one. It wasn't a bad horn and a bit fun to play, but played alongside real trumpets or cornets, it just couldn't match them. It didn't have the projection nor the sound quality.

I rarely say this, but that one is overpriced. A lot.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that they didn't take the design one step further and turn the loop into a tunable slide like the Puje.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: