• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Ultimate Eb Trumpet Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisroyal wrote:

for the Thein instrument, is that the same as the current E/Eb/D? They also have a 3 valve, but I'm told the 4th valve adds some sonic weight.

Yes, but it’s the piston valve instrument, E, Eb, D, C…

Amazing instrument.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was years ago but in university I had access to a Stomvi Elite Eb/D and a custom converted Bach

Stomvi Elite Eb/D
Very easy to play, nimble, somewhat of a lighter sound, few intonation issues but are easily compensated for, perfect amount of resistance, highly recommended

Converted Bach (not sure of specifics but it was older and a popular conversion)
A relatively heavy feel, quite a few bad intonation issues, took a lot of time to get used to, many pitches were hard to center, a lot of resistance, I avoided it if possible

If i ever get around to buying an Eb/D I'll be going for a Stomvi Elite or a Shire 6MS8 (simply because I'm a Shires fanboy)
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&S Challenger II Eb/D.

Got it a couple of years ago, new.

I was/am astonished at how nicely it plays.

My old Eb was an old Holton, which was... functional. Worked for chamber orchestras and the like. Got the B&S In, and pulled out the Holton for comparison. The Holton played ... like a middle of the road Bach. Adequate, but no more. Warmed up on that just to get the feel and sound firmly in my head. Then put the same mouthpiece in the B&S and it was like night and day. Effortless play, great valves, rich sound. I've played a couple of Schilkes and Yamahas and they were good (Better than the Holton), but I like the Challenger a LOT.
YMMV
chrisroyal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the Thein rotary E/Eb/D (4 valve) in silver. I had some initial reluctance in purchasing without ever playing one; but trusted their reputation...

So,

This is absolutely the best E/Eb/D I have ever played! Maybe the best trumpet as well. Incredibly well crafted. Very rich sound and even character, even when using the 4th valve. Upper register speaks very easily and pitch is spot on (alternate fingerings for Eb and E top staff are actually noticeably sharp and "normal" fingerings are spot on. G above the staff is not sharp at all. It does not play like a smaller (than Bb or C) chamber instrument. Imagine a realistic substitute for Bb and C when needed in terms of timbre and range (because of the 4th valve).

It has a pitch finder trigger and has a heavy bell. The instrument itself is heavy- as in substantial, not just heavy valve caps or rings.

I got it with their recommended Thein 1.5CF mouthpiece. I tried using Breslmair rotary pieces and it sounded very good but darker. Using the Thein mouthpiece (which is more bowl sharped) makes it ring the best. Highly, highly recommended.
Schagerl Bb, C and Picc rotors
Yamaha and Schilke Flugels
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisroyal wrote:
I just received the Thein rotary E/Eb/D (4 valve) in silver. I had some initial reluctance in purchasing without ever playing one; but trusted their reputation...

So,

This is absolutely the best E/Eb/D I have ever played! Maybe the best trumpet as well. Incredibly well crafted. Very rich sound and even character, even when using the 4th valve. Upper register speaks very easily and pitch is spot on (alternate fingerings for Eb and E top staff are actually noticeably sharp and "normal" fingerings are spot on. G above the staff is not sharp at all. It does not play like a smaller (than Bb or C) chamber instrument. Imagine a realistic substitute for Bb and C when needed in terms of timbre and range (because of the 4th valve).

It has a pitch finder trigger and has a heavy bell. The instrument itself is heavy- as in substantial, not just heavy valve caps or rings.

I got it with their recommended Thein 1.5CF mouthpiece. I tried using Breslmair rotary pieces and it sounded very good but darker. Using the Thein mouthpiece (which is more bowl sharped) makes it ring the best. Highly, highly recommended.

Kudos! I played one of these at TMEA in Feb. 2020 and was equally impressed. I did find that the 23 fingering combination was sharper than normal (low Eb = concert Gb in staff). Of course with all of the Thein triggers, particularly PF, you always have the option to "trigger" any note down. The horn also was noticeably small in the hands (when you're accustomed to playing, say, a Bach Eb/D with the long 239 bell). Not saying that was negative, just that in some ways it felt closer to my Schilke 4-valve G tpt in overall size, even though I know they are substantially different. Enjoy! Many envious readers here!
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a bit left field but the easiest one I have played is a Yamaha 6610S. Someone brought it for me to check out to make sure it was working OK. Either I was having a very good day, or it was really easy to play.

Of instruments I have owned, the Schilke E3L-4 was the best. I think the extra weight of the fourth valve made it sound more robust than the three valve version. You would probably need to order a smaller bell though. I had the D bell and slides also.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shout-out to a couple of Ebs that I have right now.

Firstly, a Selmer Radial, probably 70s-ish. I've owned three of these over the years and always regretted getting rid of them. Light sound, plays great and in tune. They are really great little trumpets.

For whatever reason, I also have a Voight leadpipe and tuning slide, which are the same bore and fit for this trumpet (I have a Voight bell, too, shame I don't have the valve block! It's the trumpet that was sometimes sold as the John Wallace 4 valve Eb). I haven't permanently mounted the leadpipe yet, but I might - it does open the horn up a little. Or I might send all the bits back to Voight to finish off.

The other, more recent acquisition is a Melk Bach Eb/D conversion with the 239L bell in Eb (229 for D) and an MLV525 leadpipe. That is an excellent trumpet - far bigger sound than you would expect for an Eb (but maybe not with that bell), and it plays like a bigger trumpet too. Described as a "dandy" in a post by fleming earlier in this thread...I concur!

Great to have choices!

In the past, I've had Shilkes - E2D, E3L, E3L4, those tiny old English Besson Imperial/ New Standards, Stomvi Elites, Yamahas - 6610, 9635. I like swapping too much for my own good.

Interested in the Adams, Carol and Shires...but I think that Thein might be on the list for ordering at some point now.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Thein is, without a doubt, the most underrated make out there. It's amazing that it *only* costs what it does, even thought it's not "cheap" by any standard.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Eb Trumpet Thread Reply with quote

Theshinytrumpet wrote:
Hi Folks,

Thank you to everyone for the positive early response. I hope that this becomes a very educational forum for those looking to add an Eb to their collection

I've spent too much time digging through this website on the hunt for good testimonies on Eb trumpets. They are in there, but I think it's time we organize our opinions to help those in the market for an Eb. As a member of this community for the past ten years, I have noticed that we have neglected a few topics that I think are valuable for those doing some research before investing in a new instrument.

If you own(or have owned) an Eb trumpet, please post the following information.

What is it? Brand, Model, Age, Configuration
How does it play? Intonation, tone qualities, quirks
Do you feel that it is a good value for money?
What else should someone in the market for an Eb know about this instrument?

Monette
About 10 years old give or take
Looks just like a little B-Flat
Plays well, a little rough below low C
in tune as well as a B_Flat
Tone is better than others I played. More like a B-Flat sound
A bit too much money for how much I play it.
If you have the money, I would get it. If you're not using it a lot, maybe not.
Playing in tune without fighting or bending notes is a big thing for me and a huge plus with this trumpet. The one before the Monette was a Yamaha and almost impossible to play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: