• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How wet is wet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: How wet is wet? Reply with quote

I play on a "wettish" embouchure. I lick my lips and give the mouthpiece a tongue swipe before playing. But recently I was practicing K tonguing and that produces a lot of saliva. After a few measures the entire area between lips and mouthpiece is swimming in saliva. My lips slide around, I lose my grip, and I can't play above the staff. It seems that what I consider a wettish embouchure is still dry enough to grip the mouthpiece. I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile to practice playing with a really wet slippery embouchure?
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure exactly what you're asking or if it is actually an issue or only an issue when you do k-tongue exercises.

The goal is to practice like you're going to generally play. If things get "too wet" and you're in the middle of a line or exercise, finish it out because that is what you will have to do in the real world.

If you want to isolate an issue that recurs often, then yes, practice with things super wet and slippery to make sure you're confident. This is "how to practice 101."

Good luck!
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not. You should have an embouchure that is wet enough to freely vibrate, but what's the point of having a slip-n-slide on your face? The mouthpiece needs to stay put. You will want to learn how to reduce the saliva or find another way to keep things stable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: