• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Llewelyn Model Holton 1928 leadpipe question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricealumni95

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Llewelyn Model Holton 1928 leadpipe question Reply with quote

Hi all
I’ve got an original gold plated Llewelyn deluxe version trumpet in amazing condition that at some point had a modern mouthpiece adapter plugged into the end of the leadpipe so it could accept modern mouthpieces. It wasn’t done very well cosmetically. I’m not sure if it’s completely sealed or how to improve this. My mouthpiece fits nice and snug and there aren’t any tuning problems but it does lengthen the leadpipe by about 1/2 inch which seems that it would throw the horn out of whack. Thoughts ?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we are talking about this?

https://reverb.com/item/36453203-frank-holton-llewellyn-1929-silver-trumpet-mint-collectable-incredible-player

If you have your tuning slide pulled 1/2" or so and the trumpet is in tune, you probably have not changed the actual length of the leadpipe or the mouthpiece leadpipe gap. It may just be that more of the mouthpiece shank is enclosed by the replacement receiver.

If you like the trumpet enough a repair tech with lathe skills could make you a replacement. A receiver for an old Holton MF 302 could perhaps be turned down to look like the original.

Another approach - if you have the original receiver, have it installed then have a mouthpiece shank turned down to fit.
ricealumni95

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes…that’s the trumpet in the reverb link you sent, although mine is gold plate and a different deluxe variation and a little older, but not by much. It’s not a major issue with the receiver plug , it’s just not very attractive. The horn plays great. I got tired of Bachs and wanted something with significant symphonic history to enjoy and talk about.
Thank you so much !
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The receivers on those is a different taper than the standard American Morse taper used today. A competent tech can ream the receiver with minimal effort and make a mouthpiece fit.
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: