• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams A4 vs Benge 6x

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaelos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Adams A4 vs Benge 6x Reply with quote

I'm looking to try a large bore horn next and have two options at the moment, a Benge 6X and an Adams A4. What can you guys tell me about some differences/similarities between the two?
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Adams A4 vs Benge 6x Reply with quote

Kaelos wrote:
I'm looking to try a large bore horn next and have two options at the moment, a Benge 6X and an Adams A4. What can you guys tell me about some differences/similarities between the two?

Other than both being large bore horns (the Adams is .470 and the Benge is .468) you couldn't have picked two horns more different. I would suspect this is why you've had no response.

Both are mouthpiece sensitive, but the Benge will be generally brighter (tubing is all brass - no nickel) compared to the Adams. The Benge has a smaller bell rim diameter compared to the Adams, which should produce more sound by comparison from behind the horn.

I'm not a big fan of either, but I would suspect you'd find the Adams more versatile.

But it depends on you - what you're after in a horn.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played a Benge 6 but spent a longer time with an A4 (non LT). Nice optics, great valves, easy to play. Not sure I would make it through a longer 2-3 hour gig because it’s quite the open horn. You’d need a nice mouthpiece to complement it but then again, I’m not a pro.

The thing that made me put it away was the sound. Very hard to describe, it was not dull, but dull-ish, very hard to color and when I stepped on the gas it just started blaring. The sound wasn’t breaking up, still nicely together but it just didn’t sound like I felt a decent trumpet should sound. Very hard to put into words, but it certainly lacked the brilliance and sparkle I was looking for in a trumpet sound.

At this occasion I much preferred the Bachs and a Conn V1.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played both, briefly, but have a lot of Benge experience with which to compare the 6X. Yes, the Benge will be generally brighter, but this is the Adams A4 it's being compared to. Most trumpets will be brighter than that. I really like the 6X. I prefer it to the 6X-CG, because the sound is more solid (denser core) and stable through its dynamic range. It is similar to the 5X in that the timbre is more in line with the ubiquitous Bach 37 style sound. However, the 6X (like the 5X) has a reputation for huge sound projection and volume.

The A4 is a bit of a conundrum, because it is offered in so many variations. Which one are you looking at? The light weight models have a more mainstream sound and response. The heavier horns seem geared much more to a dark jazz combo sound that seldom wants to be brilliant. Either version is, IMO, much less usable in typical ensemble settings.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it matters, the word "Lightweight" is relative to the weight of this particular Adams' normal version, not "lightweight" in relation to the universal weight, i.e. Yamaha Shew, Benge etc.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Benge 6X do you mean? Burbank? Los Angeles? UMI (which is called a Benge but is a different design from Burbank and LA Benges)?

I have a Burbank 6X and also an Adams A8. They are vastly different horns in design, response, sound, etc. The A8 is at least similar to the A4. However, the A4 and A8 are both available in various configurations, so it begs the question "Which version of the A4 are you talking about?"

I designed my A8 to produce a big, full, dark sound (which it does). My 6X produces a much brighter sound than my A8. The playing characteristics between the two are very different. The better all around horn, by far, is the 6X because the sound it produces and the way it plays are much better suited to a variety of situations. My A8 is for combo in small venues only, at least for me.

Shofarguy mentioned the Benge 6X-CG (usually just called the CG). I generally agree with his comments. However, the CG is extremely nimble and responsive and gets a great sound. To me it's the most fun Benge of all and I have a Chicago LB, Chicago ML, Burbank 2X, 3X, 3X+, 5X and 6X in addition to my CG.
Kaelos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might actually be a UMI Benge, the ad didnt specify but it did say it was dated to the mid 90's. I'm not super knowledgeable about Benges so I'm not sure. The Adams is a standard weight with an adjustable mouthpiece reciever. I'm definitely looking for the more dark jazz sound, I have a Strad 37* that works perfectly well for when I need to sound bright.
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaelos wrote:
... The Adams is a standard weight with an adjustable mouthpiece receiver. I'm definitely looking for the more dark jazz sound, I have a Strad 37* that works perfectly well for when I need to sound bright.

Then, not to state the obvious, the A4 should suit you. But as Brian points out, there are a number of A4 variations - not just weight - including bell materials (yellow and red brass), and both standard and shepherds crook options, and bore sizes (the large bore A4 is identified by an "L" on the valve block).

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: