• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best method book for range development?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went from Spaulding to Maggio. With Spaulding I generally skipped the meat-chopper thing and just played the exercises. I don't know about promising double high C in 37 weeks but I do think they're good exercisers.

OP, you do know, though, that no matter how good the exercise is, it doesn't matter if you don't have a solid foundation. Or, no set of exercises will do you any good if you're playing is otherwise faulty.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I think that Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach, and the additional assigned flexibility studies, covers the bases really well. If you want a routine to follow to build range (and technique), that's a good one.

Second, if I had to narrow that down further, I'd go with flexibility studies alone. There are many good books of flexibility studies, but I'd offer Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities and Claude Gordon's Tongue Level Exercises as two of the best in terms of their completeness (linear and vertical). I feel that flexibility studies can help develop slotting in a way that scale-based studies, for example, do not.

All that said, the "how" is considerably more important than the "what," so working with a good teacher will probably yield better results than working on your own. Good luck!
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing to help with increased range: use a student model or a cheap Chinese (I know that's redundant) horn after your warm up. Head for the high notes on the student or cheap horn. Take a good rest. Pick up your pro horn and head for the high notes. It's like picking up first a 50 lb. bag of rice and then picking up a 15 lb. bag of rice: the 15 lb. bag will seem very light.

I played on NON-pro horns for 45 years. Then I bought a Yamaha 6320S and traded/sold an unbranded copy of a Bach Strad (known to the purchaser) for a well used Bach Omega that I nursed to clean and very playable. The same effort to produce a C6 on the student horns and Chinese horns produced E6 through F#6. I just got (arrived 3 days ago) a new "open box" Bach 180S37 from the Mighty Quinn Brass and Winds eBay store (for $2,497.88 out the digital door). Now G6 is available to me and I feel like G#6 and A6 are around the corner. Not that I would normally play these high notes in my context (amateur church musician), but reaching them reliably/consistently on demand gives me tons of confidence for the occasional A5 through D6 when necessary.

So when I pick up my Olds Ambassador cornet, that's a work out that now gets me E6. But I switch to my Strad and get E6 with considerably less effort. Worth trying.

Now, to answer the question, this is a great method resource for high range development: "Sail the Seven Cs" by Clyde Hunt.

https://www.bflatmusic.com/sevencs.html
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some posters speak about a solid foundation. I can second that. In itself a sine non qua.
If you want to expand your register you should not only extend the higher one but also your ability to produce nice fat tones in the other parts of the register.
As I have posted several times, the BE method deals with all aspects of the embouchure. Thoroughly done (and I mean exactly that) ad modum the essence of the book your way of playing is bound to become so much better and a superb range will become but one of the advantages.
It is not about technique if we by that mean the ability to play lightning fast runs - but it sure lays the foundation.
But as with all methods, you gotta give a lot! Otherwise garbage in garbage out (as McLuhan once sad).

Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Systematic Approach and Spaulding have really helped my playing, they cover all of the fundamentals.
fleming

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: A good teacher Reply with quote

Making a long term commitment to study with a good teacher is far and away your best option.
trumpetfarts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by trumpetfarts on Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe coincidence but sometimes a name describes perfectly the content.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: