• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

UMI King Legend Cornets and Flugelhorns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: UMI King Legend Cornets and Flugelhorns Reply with quote

Hey Folks. Anyone have any experience with the UMI King Legend cornets and flugelhorns? These had huge 1st and 3rd slide triggers and had incredible engraving and metal work.

I've only played on a King Legend Bb trumpet and man it didn't work for me at all.
agroovin48

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: UMI King Legend Cornets and Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I do not have any experience with either of those instruments, but do have a lot of time on the King Legend 2070 Bb trumpet. I am curious about what you mean specifically about it not working for you. I would appreciate learning your perspective on it.
Thanks

Alan Cahill

1933 Conn Victor 80A Cornet
King Legend 2070
Adams A1V2
Brrrsh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a King 2220 Cornet for about 8 years. It was my 1st instrument before joining a British brass band (BBB). Its a fine horn. Since then, I've played a Getzen 3850 in my local BBB & now own a Yamaha Neo 8335G.
The Legend 2220 plays just fine. It does not have as solid a core as the two others, but plays in-tune & its monel valves are very light & fast. It's lacquer is gone from about 20 percent, but the tri-color metal & factory engraving is lovely. My daughter has just started playing it in a BBB.
Both the Legend & the Yamaha have a smaller wrap, so those with large hands may find it constrictive. The Copper bell Getzen is perhaps the darkest in timbre, the Yamaha most in tune with itself and perhaps easier above the staff. The A above the staff does not need alternate 3rd valve, but the 3rd line D is slightly less solid on the legend than the other two. All three exhibit this to some degree, a common issue with triggered cornets, likely a resonance node.
Price may be your determining factor, as the King should have advantage in the used market due to far less sales penetration. Mine came with a King 7 mouthpiece, similar to a Wick 2. Hope this helps.
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a UMI Benge 3 Flugelhorn. It looks just like a real Benge and it plays just fine. I traded a intermediate King trumpet and a Besson 10-10 trombone for it even-up at a local Instrument Exchange store. It is in near mint condition. I got the Bone from local Goodwill store for peanuts.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Benge_3_Flugelhorn.jpg
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: