• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

After a year of playing the X13.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: After a year of playing the X13. Reply with quote

I have now had and played the Edwards X13 for over a year and I can say it is the the most seamless trumpet I've ever played and besides its beautiful modern look it simply is easy to blow, has a gorgeous sound, and doesnt want to be out down. On top of this when I had an issue with the horn initially I sent it to Edwards and they Brett Getzen and his staff were totally professional. I believe this is one of the best new horns on the market and they will sell a lot of them. I see some on the herald here for sale by novices, someone is getting a great horn at a reduced price.
DezynGuy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my X-13 for just over two years, and I agree - it is a pleasure to play.

I'm curious if you've had the same "issues" as myself - namely, a lot of water coming out of this horn, specifically from the 2nd valve. I need to pop off the 2nd valve slide and blow the water out a few times during gigs. If I don't I can actually feel more resistance, and notes start to chip and split - then the eventual gurgle.

I also notice it collects water in the valve bottom caps. Mixed with valve oil it often leaks onto shirts during practice, rehearsals, performances. Quite the annoyance.

Maybe I'm just a blow hard full of hot air and the excess condensation is the result.

Thoughts?
Bach NY #7
Getzen Eterna Severinsen
Getzen Genesis
'41 Martin Handcraft Committee
'46 Martin Committee Deluxe
'48 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 (LB)
'54 Martin Committee Standard
Selmer Paris Flugelhorn
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine six months and can reiterate how much I love it.

I have two other nice horns, a 900 Eterna Classic and a 907 Proteus, and they are both solid. I had every intention of rotating the X-13 equally with them, but I play the X-13 two or three days in a row before I put it back in the case. It practically plays itself, feels absolutely effortless up to A above the staff, and makes it noticeably easier from there to my top-out F.

It does collect water quickly. I don't have second valve trouble, but the third bottom cap collects it. If I remember to empty the tuning slide Amado before it signals it needs it, it does not build up as often.

And the third valve slide EATS oil. I don't know whether or not that's because its tolerances are tighter than the other horns I own, but the slide needs a couple drops of slide oil every second to third day, much more often than the Eternas.

But, yeah, I didn't "need" the horn, but it is absolutely a thing of joy to play.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say I've had more water problems than other horns on my X13.
jhellerstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on all counts. Had the X-13 3+ years now, and have tried putting other horns in the rotation (some of them really nice) but always come back to the X-13.

I also get a fair bit of water buildup, seems like more than most other horns.

I did find the valves needed a break-in period where I had to oil them a lot but now they're just awesome.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: After a year of playing the X13. Reply with quote

improver wrote:
……I see some on the herald here for sale by novices, someone is getting a great horn at a reduced price.

“Novices”? Seriously?

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: