• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Most Nimble Horn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a horn, what works for one player may not meet the demands of another player. In my case the answer would be my Olds Recording.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Kanstul 1600 that was interesting with respect to agility. If you were the least bit tense, it played like a brick. But if you relaxed enough, it was extremely agile. It was like driving a sports car. In that respect, it was a great teaching tool.

I loved that horn. It was a blast to play. However, it was only for jazz or big band. It just didn’t cut it in an orchestra setting. When I got my 72*, I found it would do everything the 1600 could do (with a little less agility), but with a better orchestral sound. And it still lights up in a big band setting.

The 1600 was more fun to play if I relaxed enough, but the 72* is no slouch in that regard.

Footnote unrelated to the original post: I’ve read many times that you will know the right horn when you first play it. Forever, I didn’t think I was good enough a player to make subtle distinctions between quality horns. When I got serious about replacing my old 43*, I was surprised (and happy) to find that I did indeed notice these things. The old saying is true: the right horn will find you. The 1600 was a LOT of fun to play, and sometimes I miss it. But I knew the first time I played the 72* that it was a keeper.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can ever get your hands on a great Chicago Benge, you will know exactly what a responsive and agile horn is.
The sound they can generate has a ring to it that basically few other horns have. They also fit in any genre you can think of.
I have two friends that have restored, gold plated Chicagos. One is from 1939, the other from around 1947.
They are just magnificent horns made by a man who was a great player and completely understood what a horn should do. And he was not an engineer, either.

R. Tomasek
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani asked

"Then why don't we all play a Schilke B6?
Seems like a bit of a smart aleck question, but I mean it. What do other horns have that the Schilke doesn't have?"

Well, I for one am not often looking for "nimble" in a trumpet.
I prefer stable, clear (not over-bright) and enough resistance so I can "lean in" when the going gets tough. That's why I usually end up on the Bachish side of the Bach-Schilke-divide

The closest to "nimble" I have is an amazing Adams A5. It blows free and wide open (almost to a fault) and responds to everything you want to do with it. If you find the valves to your liking is another question: They somehow feel "big", but I am not bothered by this. Try before you buy.
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha LA 8335II is one of the most nimble, responsive horns I have ever played. As soon as I saw your question, I thought of this horn. The first gen was not even close, but this one is fantastic. Plus it's not just bright, there's a fullness to the sound.

My other choices would be a Shires. Not sure which would model would suit you, as all players are different, but whatever magic they put into those horns is impressive. Definitely worth considering.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
And he was not an engineer, either.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Most Nimble Horn Reply with quote

tyler.slamkowski wrote:
What, in your opinion, is the most nimble (or agile) horn you have ever played? Nimble defined by the following:

-Fastest, most consistent valves
-Flexible
-Crisp articulation

Secondarily, is it good for all genres, or is more oriented to a particular style (mariachi, classical, jazz, symphonic, etc.)?

Go back and read this again and think of it this way. Rock solid slotting means hitting notes securely in fast runs, even jumping octaves. Then the OP wants a horn that can play all styles. So a versatile horn with very good slotting. Now what comes to mind?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
jcubed901

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two horns immediately come to mind:
- the Shires Destino III (the Doc Severinsen model)
- a J. Landress custom built trumpet (it was displayed on a wall at his old shop)

Both of these horns felt similarly, and exceptionally, nimble. They were very responsive, agile, and focused throughout the entire range of the horn

In some ways, they both felt like sports cars
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Nimble Horn Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
tyler.slamkowski wrote:
What, in your opinion, is the most nimble (or agile) horn you have ever played? Nimble defined by the following:

-Fastest, most consistent valves
-Flexible
-Crisp articulation

Secondarily, is it good for all genres, or is more oriented to a particular style (mariachi, classical, jazz, symphonic, etc.)?

Go back and read this again and think of it this way. Rock solid slotting means hitting notes securely in fast runs, even jumping octaves. Then the OP wants a horn that can play all styles. So a versatile horn with very good slotting. Now what comes to mind?

Thanks! That's close to what I'm asking. An all-around horn that really shines in it's flexibility, valves, and articulation. I play a Shires Model A (B-flat) and Model 4F (C), love the sound I get, but the valves actually don't feel better than my old Yamaha. Slotting is great. But recently, I wonder if there's something out there that fits me a little better (recitals, small group jazz, subbing in the symphony & big bands, eventual DMA with a focus on these things and teaching).
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:

Well, I for one am not often looking for "nimble" in a trumpet.
I prefer stable, clear (not over-bright) and enough resistance so I can "lean in" when the going gets tough. That's why I usually end up on the Bachish side of the Bach-Schilke-divide

In my opinion, the divide is more between Bach trumpets and trumpets that hew more closely to the original French Besson style and playability. The latter includes Schilke (who put his own spin on the Besson thing), Benge (who more closely stuck to the Besson thing), as well as actual French Bessons - either made in France or the later Kanstul build ones. There might be others as well - I'm not sure where Calicchio fits in this (maybe by Benge?), nor am I sure about makers like Olds or Martin, for example - but I think grouping Besson, Benge, and Schilke together as having similar leanings in terms of response and sound is more accurate.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Austrian German there's the idea of the "eierlegende Wollmilchsau":
A pig that gives meat, milk, wool and will also lay eggs

I was looking for this kind of trumpet: Rock solid and infinitely flexible, easiest response and fantastic projection, a dark rich tone that will easily cut through a loud band, ... see what I mean? What happened is that I kept trying for ways to make my heavy Bach-types more responsive and open while making my Benge-types more solid.

Guess what: At some point I decided to embrace my instruments the way they were and to find ways to use their respective strengths.

PS: My "nimble" votes go to the Adams A5 (if you like the valves) and my Yamaha 731 Flugelhorn. And I wouldn't play Tchaikovsky IV or Star Wars on either
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, having lived in Germany for almost 20 years now it’s been a while since the magic pig came up Seems like your decision to use the horns for their strengths is exactly what I decided to do. The rotary goes into orchestra and rotary things, generally the more disciplined direction while the Bach goes into the commercial and louder direction. Works just fine. I guess I could do everything with the Bach and a set of mouthpieces but the rotary is so much fun as well!

And I actually did play James Bond and Stevie Wonder stuff on the rotary
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Most Nimble Horn Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Then the OP wants a horn that can play all styles. So a versatile horn with very good slotting. Now what comes to mind?
My Schilke B1
LadFree

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most nimble horn is the one Allen Vizutti is playing!
Actually, if you want nimble,I would say get out the Clark book
and a metronome and go to work.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:

. . . wie gesagt.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:

"Eierlegende Wollmilchsau" -- what a brand that would make! And judging from the quick search that I just did, there are a number of potential images to choose from for use as an engraving on the bell.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolBrass Andrea Giuffredi
Bach LT1901B
Bach 43*/25-O
Yamaha 8310Z II
Most Schilkes
Olds Super
Yamaha 738
Yamaha 6320
Benge anything (L.A. and earlier)
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that there are so many different answers. I think we all want a horn we can get from note to note on with ease, so perhaps nimbleness is a fundamental of what we all look for in a horn.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '47 large bore Chicago Benge that is very easy to play, open in the top range, and just basically can do anything I want it to.

Great horn
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetJaguar wrote:
Interesting that there are so many different answers. I think we all want a horn we can get from note to note on with ease, so perhaps nimbleness is a fundamental of what we all look for in a horn.

Define nimble?

Quote: quick and light in movement or action; agile.

I have a combination that I tried recently. I combined my Conn 22B with a Curry 7M mouthpiece. Very nimble. But also very difficult to control. Lip trills are a normal part of the trad jazz I play, but this combination made it too easy. Each note slid into the next and I was sliding all over the place. Slippery slots indeed.

So nimble is good. But you also need accuracy. I went back to another combination after that.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: