• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mariachi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giardinelli512

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Mariachi Reply with quote

I had the chance to join a Mariachi group when i turned 18, but turned it down because it wasn't "what i was into". Now i'm kicking myself 'cuz it probably would have been fun. Anyone have any experience with Mariachi trumpet playing?
Yamaha 232s
Bach TR-300
Holton t602
Holton C602R Cornet
Scott42486
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a bit actually, helps me pay for school. Rather than get into another of these threads you're welcome to PM me any questions you might have.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in tons of latin groups when I was in college. They pretty much put me through school for a few years.

But I never got into a Mariachi group. I'm not sure why. I think it may have been a racial thing. White guys were welcome in latin pop bands, cumbia and salsa bands, but Mariachi was something different. I think there is an element of cultural and racial purity that demands homogeneity in the ranks.

I did have a friend of Italian decent, who could "pass." He was married to a Latina and was fluent in Spanish. He had tons of work and loved it.

Also, the charts were never written, at least back then, so I think one would have had to sit down for weeks to learn the tunes by memory. And, your bandmates, in many cases wouldn't speak English. Awkward.

I think things have changed somewhat in that area. In the school district in which I teach in California, there is a quasi/pseudo Mariachi group in one of the middle schools. It has written music and a gringa director. They perform for all kinds of audiences.

There is definitely a different style of trumpet playing involved. I remember a humorous incident a few years ago when a female player showed up to play in a local rehearsal band. She said that she had played in Mariachi groups all through high school. She must have weighed about 90 pounds.

She took out her trumpet and began to produce the HUGEST most GODAWFUL sounds that you had ever heard coming out of a trumpet in your life! She had obviously spent some time on the trumpet, but........

Still, I really enjoy listening to great Mariachi bands and think it would be a blast to play in one. It couldn't hurt if you speak the language and can sing.
acatrp61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

Im a 'Gringo' living in Acapulco, and I've played just about every form of latin group, from Mariachi to an all Cuban Salsa band to Chili Frito in the town square.
I can tell you that Mariachi is truly a different kettle of fish. First, they never use charts or read, its all learning the song as you go. Second, intonation is a luxury most bands dont know or care about what it is. Third, it will force you to work on your articulation and double'tonguing for sure. AND......there is the vibrato element, which while not hard to learn, can really get inside your head and screw up your other playing! In fact, I heard a story that Mendez got fired as a studio player in LA because he couldn't stop that vibrato.
If you want to hear some great latin Trumpet playing, check out the TV cable channel 'BandaMex'. There is some serious tight playing going on. And on a related note, while I love playing Salsa, if you really want to get your articulation and precision down, listen to the modern Merengue bands. Those guys are smokin and playing up to Double A's.
Hope that helps,
Ed
Branson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Mariachi bands and then there are wana-bee Mariachi bands.

If you are to play with a true Mexican Mariachi band, there are some playing styles which must be done correctly. As a Texas gringo from Iowa at the time, I had a hard time getting the true Mexican sound.

For me it required a lot of listening and practice. The group was called the Matamoros Brass out of Dallas lead by a wonderful trumpet player by the name of Tommy Amador.

He taught me a lot about playing with a true Mexican sound and it requires a concentrated effort to match both the sound and the articulation style.

I would suggest that if you want to do it correctly, listen to every good Mariachi band you can get music from.

I rate good Mariachi music to good Dixieland music for both are fun to play as well as listen to.
Antoni Hopmann

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Mariachi sound Reply with quote

I should like to play Mariachi music on my trumpet.
The problem is how to come to that special sound.
Could anybody help me with this problem.
Txs

blow your tune
Antoni Hopmann

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mariachi sound Reply with quote

Antoni Hopmann wrote:
I should like to play Mariachi music on my trumpet.
The problem is how to come to that special sound.
Could anybody help me with this problem.
Txs

Really nobody who can give me some "tips".

blow your tune
dracul
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion to you would be to listen to a lot of mariachi music. You will notice the emphasis on exaggerated crispness of attacks and a unique vibrato. It is well documented that the equipment typically preferred for that unique bright and focused sound comes from but is not limited to horns like the Conn Constellation 38B,and the Kanstul 990, 991. Those horns are typically the most sought after for Mariachi playing. If you start you think of your instrument as a percussion instrument as well as a lyrical one I think you will start to get the idea of Mariachi playing. Best of luck my friend.
Antoni Hopmann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracul wrote:
My suggestion to you would be to listen to a lot of mariachi music. You will notice the emphasis on exaggerated crispness of attacks and a unique vibrato. It is well documented that the equipment typically preferred for that unique bright and focused sound comes from but is not limited to horns like the Conn Constellation 38B,and the Kanstul 990, 991. Those horns are typically the most sought after for Mariachi playing. If you start you think of your instrument as a percussion instrument as well as a lyrical one I think you will start to get the idea of Mariachi playing. Best of luck my friend.

Hallo Dracul,
I thank you very much for this detailed information.
It will no doubt be helpful in my efforts to learn playing Mariachi.

blow your tune
Roel.Flores

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in a mariachi as you can tell from my avatar. Lots of fun. It's great to work up new tunes and it is a challenge when they ask for songs at the gig. The best part of it all.... 1 hour and then you get paid.
Antoni Hopmann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roel.Flores wrote:
I play in a mariachi as you can tell from my avatar. Lots of fun. It's great to work up new tunes and it is a challenge when they ask for songs at the gig. The best part of it all.... 1 hour and then you get paid.

Aha.You play in a Mariachi,Roel,Flores.
That is very nice,but can you give me some tips
for playing trumpet in a Mariachi.

blow your tune
Roel.Flores

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very expressive lyrical lines (vibrato) and tonguing.

Here is a youtube video (Mariachi Sol de Mexico)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev-vExGNbSk
Antoni Hopmann

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much.

blow your tune
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Listening Reply with quote

One of the premiere mariachi bands in existence is the Mariachi Cobre, who have played at the Mexico pavilion in Epcot since its inception. They are regularly featured at mariachi festivals worldwide. There are many videos of them on Youtube, and I'd pay particular attention to Steve Carillo, their magnificent trumpeter. He's also a superb singer, and it would blow me away when they would play "Granada" and immediately after playing the difficult intro, he'd put the horn down and sing a gorgeous melody. We accused him of having external auxiliary lungs.

There are a lot of mariachi bands, and a wide variety of skill levels. I'd recommend listening to the very best (in tune, musical, excellent phrasing and dynamics) like Mariachi Cobre. There is a distinctive style and a characteristic sound identified with mariachi trumpeters, but in listening to someone like Steve Carillo you know you're hearing an excellent trumpeter and musician who is playing a particular style. There is a characteristic style of vibrato and a breadth of sound that, done properly, is a real pleasure to listen to.

On the flip side, bad mariachi is every bit as much torture as a bad bagpipe or banjo player...
kghtpt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Agree! Reply with quote

I second Yammie's recommendation of Mariachi Cobre. I first heard them years ago when I was playing a pops week with the Milwaukee Symphony and Doc brought them in as guest artists. We had a great time, and now whenever I take my family to Disney World, we always make sure we stop to listen and chat with Steve and his brother Randy. The band is terrific, but when I think of them I always get hungry! The filet medallions with mole sauce- mmmm...
JuanColorado

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Mariachi trumpet sound Reply with quote

The guy credited with creating the Mariachi trumpet style is a guy named Miguel Martinez. I recommend that you find as much of his stuff as possible. There is a good CD it’s called Homenaje A Miguel Martinez by Mariachi Tepalcatepec De Michoacan. It features Martinez covers ..nothing but mariachi trumpet songs. Actually Miguel Martinez mariachi songs, it’s really good. Also, learn to breathe. You are going to need a lot of air. The biggest problem with new trumpet players in Mariachi is they never seem to have enough air, especially younger students. Also, you will never be able to keep up with a Mariachi if you only read music. A true Mariachi is a master of Solfege as well as a fluent reader. BTW, while its okay to read during practice, sheet music is frowned upon during performances ..you’ll never hear the end of it if you bust out sheet music at a gig. Last but certainly not least, you must take voice lessons and learn to sing Spanish.
I played classical music in high school. Man it was easy by comparison. You get to sit in a big chair with a huge music stand. No pressure to sing or dance, or say anything. Not Mariachi, man you have to be on the ball. It requires a lot of concentration. A good beginners’ horn would be an Olds Ambassador. You can find them used for about $200. They play great with a fat sound and the horns are real tanks. They play forever!! I hope this helps some.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest I ever cam was a spate when I played with a "Salsa" band. They actually played music from a variety of genres. And it was a terrific education and I'd highly recommend it to most any trumpet player.

Mariachi doesn't sound like the sort of thing anyone could pull off without a major commitment to the style, possibly at the exclusion of most all else.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instrumental parts in the opera "Cruzar la Cara de la Luna" are fully composed and there is no improv in performance.

The original production used the well known group Mariachi Vargas but the parts are set down in full music notation. Thus the score for the opera is an excellent way to actually see what the trumpets are doing when playing mariachi music. Combine that with listening to performances of the opera played by a group like Mariachi Vargas and you should have a good start on understanding what is required.

(That said, you will find that while "Cruzar" is a great way to access the concepts, you likely will still be a long way from realizing the style in your own perfomances.)
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving this post.

I’ve been playing mariachi for a living since 2004. I’m a non-Spanish speaking trumpeter so for me the most challenging part is making the association between song names and the melodies.

Since it’s based around guitar chords, 99% of the time you’ll only be playing in C, D, E, F, G, or A (concert).

As long as you are knowledgeable of those scales (major and minor), mariachi music is not difficult to pick up. Building your rep takes some time, but once you start gigging you’ll realize that a majority of clients request the same songs. Mariachi Loco, Cielito Lindo, Volver, La Negra, etc.

As a trumpet player, you’re usually not expected to sing songs solo. That typically falls on the guitars and violins…but if you’re willing and able to sing, no one is going to tell you no.

These days there is plenty of mariachi music available online, and recently mariachi has become recognized as a major ensemble by TMEA.

I do wish more classical and jazz trumpet players would get into mariachi. It’s fun music and it pays great!
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracul wrote:
...... It is well documented that the equipment typically preferred for that unique bright and focused sound comes from but is not limited to horns like the Conn Constellation 38B,and the Kanstul 990, 991. Those horns are typically the most sought after for Mariachi playing........

True story: Many decades ago I was in El Paso and had occasion to have lunch with the local musicians union president. I had my Connstellation trumpet with me and he admonished me saying, "Whatever you do, do not take that Connstellation trumpet over into Juarez because there are people there that will kill you to get that horn." He was absolutely dead serious when he said it.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: