• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why don't ACB mpcs, get no respect?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Maybe you don’t believe me

You're right, I don't.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Delano. Making mouthpieces is incredibly profitable, so you really can't blame the mouthpiece makers, especially because people are willing to pay ridiculous prices for them. Whether or not they are an improvement over your standard Bach, Yamaha or JK is up to each individual to decide.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mish-mash of thoughts here.

ACB's web site design is a mess. They need to hire a better web designer to clean up the site so that information is more logically organized and presented.

Similarly the mouthpiece line isn't easy to digest because there's a little bit of this and a little bit of that. However I think that's also a strength for people that happen to be looking for something they have. It's like a collection of custom mouthpieces.

Personally I don't like the look of the standard blank.

Thinking outside ACB, it's nice we have so much choice but the stuff from the traditional makes like Bach, Schilke, and Yamaha are still quality mouthpieces at very reasonable prices. A lot of the pros I come into contact with are playing dull normal equipment.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
delano wrote:
Maybe you don’t believe me

You're right, I don't.

That’s a real blast.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
That’s a real blast.

I stand by my statement: I don't believe you when you imply that anyone using any boutique mouthpiece by any maker is gullible. However, I'll concede that I do believe you when you state that some mouthpieces don't work for you.

Irving wrote:
Well said Delano. Making mouthpieces is incredibly profitable, so you really can't blame the mouthpiece makers, especially because people are willing to pay ridiculous prices for them. Whether or not they are an improvement over your standard Bach, Yamaha or JK is up to each individual to decide.

No, well said Irving. Yours is a good way of sharing an opinion without claiming it as a universal truth or calling people who disagree gullible fools.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the take-away from delano's post is that we should think for ourselves and not be drawn into a me-too mentality.

I usually revolve around a Purviance 5*K4 (Reeves, Bush, etc.) but recently I've been playing a plain ole Bach 6B. Sixty bucks. It's comfortable with a wonderful sound.

Don't know if that will be my go-to mpc. eventually, but it's nice. And inexpensive and I think too many get caught up and are overly impressed by the internet mythology of designer mouthpieces being overall superior.

Riffing off an earlier post of just letting a horn be that horn, if I do go with the Bach*, it will likely be with my Committee and keep using the Purviance with my Benge.

(*or ACB TA-1 CS.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Delano says, not with what other people say he says!!!!

Back to the topic of ACB mouthpieces, I have not perceived that they have no respect, in general I read more positive comments than negative ones.

Anyway, in any economic sector, building a good reputation takes time, and ACB has been making mouthpieces for a relatively short time, compared to other brands.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I like Trent and purchase from Austin Custom Brass, I have one criticism about Trent's mouthpiece system: He uses a Bach-like rim numbering system, but he does not stay true to Bach rim sizes.

I corresponded with his mouthpiece person who kindly sent me a google doc with their mouthpiece specifications.

However, when I asked about 1.5 rim specifications and availability, he indicated that they altered rim specs rather than using Bach rim specifications, especially on sizes that did not sell well, e.g., 1.5 rims. In fact, Trent's Custom Reserve line does not even offer a 1.5 rim size.

That struck me as odd, because Bach 1.5 rims have great popularity among orchestra and wind ensemble players in Southern California where I play.

Thus, Trent's mouthpiece system has the weakness in that it lacks rim uniformity with the Bach system on all sizes. So, a person who purchases one of Trent's mouthpieces online based on what they like in the Bach system may get disappointed by the nonuniform sizing.

Systemic consistency has great importance when going on a mouthpiece "safari," because I believe that most people try to logically keep the mouthpiece specifications and traits that they like and fine tune the traits that they want to improve.

Due to divergences from the Bach system, I would suggest that Trent use a more technical system for describing his mouthpieces (either in millimeters or thousandths of an inch) and then describe each dimension of the mouthpiece similar to how Mark Curry does.
John Mock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen either a Wild Thing trumpet or ACB mouthpieces that I can remember.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently playing on an ACB 3C, and I have an assortment to choose from:

Jupiter XO 3C
Bach 3C
Curry 3C
Shires 3C (I think these are made by Pickett maybe?)

Interestingly, they all have different playing characteristics.

The ACB seems to be the best balance of sound and playability for the Shires Model B that I usually play, so that's what I use.

Curry 3C - plays a bit crisper in terms of articulation than the ACB, (and this is just a minor thing) but the sound is brighter with a bit of an edge, but otherwise feels about the same. I suspect that the difference is in sound is due to the backbore. It's noticeably brighter, so even though it plays the best of the bunch by a smidge, the ACB sounds a good bit better.

Jupiter XO 3C - I use this with a National Guard issued Yamaha Xeno when I march. The rim on this is a bit more forgiving and allows for a bit more pressure, but I don't really care for how it plays for any other situation.

Shires/Pickett 3C - this mouthpiece is just a touch on the narrow side, and although it sounds nice - very round, I feel like it closes off in my upper register, which is probably a playing technique/pressure issue. But with that in mind, I find that it marries up well with my C trumpet, so that's the mouthpiece I use for that because it rounds out the sound a bit. I like the ACB too, but in that horn, the Shires 3C seems a bit more centered.

Bach 3C - I'm not sure how I acquired this one, but I dislike it enough that I don't really use it and it sits on the shelf.

So isn't that funny - they are all 3Cs, but they are also all different.

John Mock wrote:
Never seen either a Wild Thing trumpet or ACB mouthpieces that I can remember.

I've played a Wild Thing - it was a nice horn, but I wasn't as wowed by it as many are.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record: I am not attacking Trent, he is a nice guy and using his business opportunities is of course legitimate.
And of course Irving added to my statement that what I implied, he made it dummy proof which seems to be necessary so now and then.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve loved their Papa Bear and Baby Bear sizes so far.
I also enjoyed the NY1, but it wasn’t as good of a fit for me as the Bear line.

I personally have had much more success with ACB mouthpieces than I ever have with Monette or Bach. But it’s all just a preference thing.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
we should think for ourselves and not be drawn into a me-too mentality.

My sentiments exactly. And that goes both ways, preferably without either side resorting to personal insults.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
For me, the take-away from delano's post is that we should think for ourselves and not be drawn into a me-too mentality.

I missed this when I perused through the thread earlier, but yes - this is definitely a good point because we are all different, and (in general) what works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for someone else. There are exceptions - a crappy horn is a crappy horn, and it's probably not going to work for anyone.

It with a similar mindset that I posted what I did regarding the various flavors of 3C mouthpieces I have and why I use different ones for various tasks.

I took things back to basics in the practice room and part of that was to find a mouthpiece out of accumulation of stuff that I felt worked the "best."

I highlight the word "best" because I think that when it comes to trumpet, nothing is perfect - there's always a compromise somewhere. In this case, the Curry was the most crisp when it came to articulation, but we're talking just very slightly, so I compromised that in order to get what I felt was the superior sound from the ACB.

In any case, brand name was not important to me when I went through that process, I wasn't really thinking about brand, model or size - I went through a lot of stuff, but discarded some right away. I also have an ACB 3B, and even though on paper, that should be a bigger, rounder sound, it wasn't that different, and it was harder to play than the 3C, so it got put back on the shelf.

I should probably sell off some of this stuff that I'm not likely to use again.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are, it’s ‘any respect, not, no respect’.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
My thoughts are, it’s ‘any respect, not, no respect’.

You've got to be kidding. You don't recognize tongue-in-cheek?

And just a general comment: the internet is no place for the Grammar Police. How condescending to presume that we know a person's background and to judge them for it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
puzzleheadedcow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty bizarro thread but seems very typical for this forum I have surmised.

All I know is that I love my Custom Reserve piece and am thankful for it.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puzzleheadedcow wrote:
This is a pretty bizarro thread but seems very typical for this forum I have surmised.

That's an interesting thing to say considering all of your 19 posts and 7 months of membership to this forum. I'm not sure you fully understand what is or isn't typical on this forum.
- ACB Doubler

puzzleheadedcow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
puzzleheadedcow wrote:

That's an interesting thing to say considering all of your 19 posts and 7 months of membership to this forum. I'm not sure you fully understand what is or isn't typical on this forum.

Just because I don't post much doesn't mean I haven't been lurking on this site for years... I just created a username recently but have been lurking since 2015 when I got into the trumpet.

PHC
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the topic, as others have said the nomenclature and sizing is frustrating. I'd say that they sort of takes it for granted that the presumed buyer has tried lots of mouthpieces of all different kinds and knows the supposed differencies between different Bach mouthpieces of different eras by heart. The word "respect" in the thread title is really appropriate, it's hard to respect something that confusing.

That said, the TA1 was my main mouthpiece for some years but it had a frustrating side-effect, if I played it extensively for some months I couldn't play any other mouthpieces well and that was really bad for me. Later, I moved back to bigger mouthpieces and the ACB 1.5B became my next choice. That was a great mouthpiece for me! Best I had played so far in my life, without doubt, but it felt like luck and nothing but luck that I managed to get one piece in the line-up that really fit me.

Now, when I've moved on it is to another maker whose sizing I get and whose pieces share the same sense to my embouchure regardless of the size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: