• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Trumpet Blog!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: New Trumpet Blog! Reply with quote

Hello fellow trumpeters! I'm a bit of a zombie trumpet herald member. You might remember (actually you probably don't) that I had a blog called The Jazz Daddy that unfortunately got killed by malware in 2014. After a long hiatus, I've been researching the new trumpet market and am ready to blog again!

This new blog, "TRUMPET MADNESS", will be your definitive resource for researching and purchasing new Bb trumpets. You can check out the first two articles here:

https://trumpetmadness.wordpress.com/2022/11/24/what-b-flat-trumpet-should-i-buy-part-1-overview/

https://trumpetmadness.wordpress.com/2022/11/26/what-b-flat-trumpet-should-i-buy-part-2-the-trumpet-madness-scoring-scale/

Future articles will give a deep dive into different pricing tiers, starting with the highest priced horns (e.g. Monette) and working down to the more conventional price points. My Monette article is super fun and is close to being ready to publish!

I'll also be sharing info on the best dealers, resellers, and used trumpet sites in future articles as well. Lastly, I'll be including play tests as well.

I would love your thoughts and feedback on what I missed that could help you in your quest to find the ideal horn.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW ... my first thought is that someone looking for a $5000+ trumpet isn't looking for information at your site. I suspect that most traffic would be driven by ...

(1) new players looking for a student horn
(2) possibly folks looking for intermediate horns ... the answer here, IMO, is get a used pro horn instead
(3) people looking for their first pro horn

Good luck.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you combine this with YouTube videos. Link your blog to the videos - link the videos to your blog. I'm a sucker for comparison videos but find shorter excerts - mainly orchestral - more useful than long technical or jazz improv examples. You might want to watch some of "Jon Talks Trumpet" on YouTube.

Oh - good luck.
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'm planning on incorporating play tests into the site with companion YouTube/Soundcloud channels.

I'm still getting my A/V stuff set up, but through December and January I'll be looking to post play tests Trent Austin style (okay more like Trent Austin lite) for the Bach 37, Getzen Eterna, and Schilke HC2. Stay tuned!!
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I've launched a companion YouTube channel to my blog called @Trumpet_Madness, which will be where I post all of my playtests and other reviews. Check it out and subscribe! So far I've got a few clips up contrasting the Bach 37 and the Getzen Eterna 900.

https://www.youtube.com/@Trumpet_Madness

If you've spent any time (ahem, obsessively) researching trumpets like I have, you'll know that it's tough to compare trumpets playing the same tune with the same player, mouthpiece, recording setup, etc. I'm organizing my YouTube channel with Playlists that will allow you to explore a specific horn, or listen to multiple horns on the same musical excerpt (https://www.youtube.com/@trumpet_madness/playlists).

Also stay tuned and subscribe to the blog itself, where I'll be posting more detailed playtest articles in December and January.

I've got a Schilke HC-2 on the way this month, which I'll do an unboxing and playtest hopefully soon!

https://trumpetmadness.wordpress.com

Here's a sample clip:

Link

Enjoy!

Last edited by JSco on Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a beautiful lyrical trumpet sound concept.

Enjoyed the clip
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have a beautiful lyrical trumpet sound concept.

Enjoyed the clip

Thank you!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: