• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Orchestral Auditions!!!: How much sight reading?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Orchestral Auditions!!!: How much sight reading? Reply with quote

Please this is a critical question!!!My question is aimed at the professional orchestral or military band players. To audition, we all have to play a solo and excerpts....but then the sight reading! At an audition, what did you sight read? How much time was spent on sight reading? I am trying to persuade my advanced students to give more attention to sight reading!!!
Schilke
Getzen
CodyMac90

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s going to be more of concern when it comes to military band auditions. The only times I have ever had to sight read, was in a few DC band final rounds. Even then, it’s really standard stuff.

As for orchestra, you probably won’t run across sight reading, unless it’s your first audition and you make it to the final round. Meaning, if your making finals, you’ve probably come across any rep that they will put in front of you. The BIGGER concern will be, can you transpose. They may put a different edition than you’re used to seeing, and it’ll mess with your eyes. The stronger you can be at transposition, the more quickly you can relax in your seat.

So, advice, get easy etude books(Aruban Art of Phrasing), and play two, each day, in different keys. Obviously advance to other etudes after that. This will simulate the feeling that you’re trying to create for your students.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we keep this consolidated? Come on Jason.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Your right kehaulani !!! Reply with quote

Sometimes I get greedy for answers
Schilke
Getzen
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In orchestra auditions, sight reading is usually in the final rounds. If you make it that far then they are interested in you. If you know the rep then you won't be surpised at what they give you for sight reading. If all they want to do is trip you up, then they can find some impossible obscure piece to give you. But I don't think that that is their aim. Just know the standard rep and you won't be sight reading.
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
In orchestra auditions, sight reading is usually in the final rounds. If you make it that far then they are interested in you. If you know the rep then you won't be surpised at what they give you for sight reading. If all they want to do is trip you up, then they can find some impossible obscure piece to give you. But I don't think that that is their aim. Just know the standard rep and you won't be sight reading.

Do you know this from experience? I've never encountered sight reading in the dozens of auditions I've taken, and the several that I've won. I've also sat on committees and we've never asked for it. Curious as to your experiences.

GR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: