• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lotus Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a 7M on fb marketplace just to give these a shot. I really love it. For reference, I've been playing AR for the last few years. I know there's been a lot of talk over designs between the two, but the Lotus is way different in my opinion. The rim is much fatter and has a bit more of a bite although it's still very smooth. The AR is just super rounded going into the cup. Blow on the Lotus feels bigger. Even with the L backbore on my AR C cup, the Lotus just feels larger. However, it is still really easy to play. The M cup is really cool. It will brighten up nicely when pushed, but also has a fat thick sound at the same time. Low notes are no problem, and the blow is incredibly even throughout all registers. I've heard Adam say that people usually size up when playing the Lotus pieces and I would have to agree. I find the 7M a little constricting compared to my comparable AR stuff. Went ahead and ordered a 3L2 and a 3XL2B yesterday. Looking forward to trying these out as I generally like a bit more cup volume than the M offers. But I have to say, this particular M cup is the easiest M cup I've ever tried. I've never really owned any Monette stuff so I can't compare and contrast the two, but I really think Adam has developed some great tools at a great price. It has sparked my interest in his horns as well. I still really like my AR pieces.... So many great choices these days. We live in a golden age of music gear!
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick8801 wrote:
Picked up a 7M on fb marketplace just to give these a shot. I really love it. For reference, I've been playing AR for the last few years. I know there's been a lot of talk over designs between the two, but the Lotus is way different in my opinion. The rim is much fatter and has a bit more of a bite although it's still very smooth. The AR is just super rounded going into the cup. Blow on the Lotus feels bigger. Even with the L backbore on my AR C cup, the Lotus just feels larger. However, it is still really easy to play. The M cup is really cool. It will brighten up nicely when pushed, but also has a fat thick sound at the same time. Low notes are no problem, and the blow is incredibly even throughout all registers. I've heard Adam say that people usually size up when playing the Lotus pieces and I would have to agree. I find the 7M a little constricting compared to my comparable AR stuff. Went ahead and ordered a 3L2 and a 3XL2B yesterday. Looking forward to trying these out as I generally like a bit more cup volume than the M offers. But I have to say, this particular M cup is the easiest M cup I've ever tried. I've never really owned any Monette stuff so I can't compare and contrast the two, but I really think Adam has developed some great tools at a great price. It has sparked my interest in his horns as well. I still really like my AR pieces.... So many great choices these days. We live in a golden age of music gear!

After you get your 3's can you tell me what AR you think it closest in size? Although I am really enjoying my Lotus's I am also curious about AR.
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
nick8801 wrote:

After you get your 3's can you tell me what AR you think it closest in size? Although I am really enjoying my Lotus's I am also curious about AR.

I can tell you that the Lotus 7 feels slightly smaller than my AR MS rim which is supposed to be their size 7 equivalent. But I think a lot has to do with rim shape. Like I said, the AR is super rounded. I love the AR C cup for how smooth the whole thing feels. Slots and attacks are a little looser, but for solo jazz, it's a lot of fun.
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got both the 3XL2B and the L2today. The XL2B is perfect for me. Big and fat, but enough cut when I dig in to work for most of the playing I do. The L2 has a different edge to the rim that I don’t really dig. It’s too sharp for my tastes. If I had to compare to any of the AR stuff I’ve owned, I’d say it’s right around where the M rim feels. Bach 3 territory width wise. Man this xl2 is a lot of fun. I’m still curious about the regular L cup. I could see wanting something a little brighter for certain gigs, but for now I think I’ll just enjoy this new piece.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick8801 wrote:
Got both the 3XL2B and the L2today. The XL2B is perfect for me. Big and fat, but enough cut when I dig in to work for most of the playing I do. The L2 has a different edge to the rim that I don’t really dig. It’s too sharp for my tastes. If I had to compare to any of the AR stuff I’ve owned, I’d say it’s right around where the M rim feels. Bach 3 territory width wise. Man this xl2 is a lot of fun. I’m still curious about the regular L cup. I could see wanting something a little brighter for certain gigs, but for now I think I’ll just enjoy this new piece.

The 3LB is the favorite one I own by far. It works really well for most everything I do. I kind of agree that the L2 feels sharper. I have to be careful when I use it or I seem to tire out faster.
I did try an XL2 briefly but found it a bit too big. I also have an M and S which are super fun, although I don’t get to use them too often in actual performances. I imagine if I do some community theater soon I’ll put them to use.
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went ahead and ordered a 3L. Landress had one in stock and I know they’re hard to come by so I grabbed it! Should be a nice compliment to the 3XL2B. I could see using the XL2 for solo/small group stuff, and the 3L for more traditional/commercial stuff. Really into these.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been following the discussion with lots of interest. Seems like nick8801 and I just went the opposite way: I ditched the Lotus for AR and nick went to Lotus from AR. The interesting thing about this is that I completely agree with nicks description of both pieces a few posts up, especially his description of the rims. I much prefer the round rims of the AR tops over the somewhat sharper Lotus rims. The sound I‘d get from my Lotus 3S-N is, however, pretty impressive.

And yes, I also agree with nick on the rim size. A Lotus 3 is close to an AR M diameter.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t call the Lotus stuff sharp. It’s fat and round, but the L2 definitely has a sharper inner edge. I really dig the fat feel on the Lotus rims. Very comfy.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn’t mean sharp sharp, but notably less round than the AR. I just seem to get along with the AR rims much better. JK Exclusive rims are fine as well as are Warburton and GR, for me anyway. The Lotus rim is just not quite there for me but I do like the sound.

If I factor in the rim AND the response/playability it’s AR up front, followed by Warburton. GR or JK on the flugel.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I didn’t really mean “sharp” either. Just sharper than the 3LB I have. Of course they keep changing things too so maybe that part of it? My 3L is polished inside, the 3L2 is a matte finish. And now they also offer the HC (high compression) option.

If anyone is interested I’m probably going to list the 3L2 in the marketplace tomorrow.
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my 3L the other day. Perfect companion for the XLB. For the kind of playing I do, I don't think I'd need anything shallower. It's a really sweet, well-rounded mouthpiece. Played a small party type gig last night on the XLB. It was very appropriate in a small, echoey room. Can't wait to play in a section with the 3L. Really dig these!
deleted_user_34face8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Brain wrote:
Hello and seasons greetings to you all!

For those of you interested, here is a video I just made on my LOTUS 3XL2 HC. Nothing flashy, but hopefully a good measure of the sound.

I have been enjoying my LOTUS mouthpieces greatly, I now own 5 or 6 and think that, hyperbole and superlatives aside, they do offer an improvement in the equality of the blow, intonation and I have been impressed at the play-ability of the deep cups into the high register (that element isn't really shown on the video).

I was confused by a couple of the comments above that suggested the L2 and XL2 had different rim shapes; as I understand it, each rim number (1,2,3,7) is the same across the range, regardless of the cup. Theoretically a 2XL should have the same rim shape and contour as a 2S.

If I had anything to add; I would personally suggest that their current comparison chart seems a bit off some of the comparisons to me: as far as Warburton comparisons go (contrary to their suggestions) I would say the 2 rim is most like a Warburton 3, the 3 rim like a 4, and the 7 rim like a Warburton 5.

Finally, I would have to say that, on more than one occasion, I have found ordering through LOTUS directly to be a bit of a disappointing experience; huge waiting times and limited communication, and then (most recently) mistakes with the order in question, which is hard to swallow after a 9 week wait. Without a doubt, it is a great team with some superb products, I just hope they improve the sales side of their business. If they do, I can genuinely see them breaking into the mainstream of trumpet equipment.

Thanks

Link

Brian,

Maybe you're commenting on some of my posts...having to do with the 3LB and 3L2 that I had? As far as I know the cups are all supposed to have the same rim, just like you mentioned. That being said, I felt a difference between the two. Maybe it's just that the entry point to the cup is a little different? I'm not as good at controlled comparisons to be able to say exactly what it is.

I do also feel like there have been changes along the way, either design changes, or quality control changes. I had to send several pieces back throughout all of my ordering stages because of flub ups.
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, definitely a major difference in the ones I had. The L2 was noticeably sharper feeling than any of the others I tried. Could be a different run or something? I dunno. Also, as much as I like the way these play, my XL2 has some scuffing on the finish, and my L2 has a little pit of silver just under the rim on the outside of the mouthpiece. There might be some manufacturing kinks they are working out? Still love the way they play, but perhaps there are still some issues on their end to work out.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick8801 wrote:
Yeah, definitely a major difference in the ones I had. The L2 was noticeably sharper feeling than any of the others I tried. Could be a different run or something? I dunno. Also, as much as I like the way these play, my XL2 has some scuffing on the finish, and my L2 has a little pit of silver just under the rim on the outside of the mouthpiece. There might be some manufacturing kinks they are working out? Still love the way they play, but perhaps there are still some issues on their end to work out.

I will say this. If you contact Charley they'll likely replace whatever is messed up. I sent several back and received replacements. Most issues seemed to be with the finishing phase.
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
nick8801 wrote:

I will say this. If you contact Charley they'll likely replace whatever is messed up. I sent several back and received replacements. Most issues seemed to be with the finishing phase.

Good to know....It's not enough of an issue to deal with all that, but they should definitely get on that, as they are trying to sell high end boutique stuff.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick8801 wrote:
acritzer wrote:
nick8801 wrote:

Good to know....It's not enough of an issue to deal with all that, but they should definitely get on that, as they are trying to sell high end boutique stuff.

Yes…some of the consistency issues definitely need to be straightened out. I would think they’ve had enough time to get it resolved by now, but maybe not.
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this post reminded me i ordered a mouthpiece from them back in september. i emailed//messaged them this past week & am waiting for a response.

been about 16 weeks since the initial order. hoping to get an update.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on the M or L2 cup in bronze? I get the idea that bronze cuts down on high partials and M cups being in the highs, what happens? Is the M cup in bronze a good match?
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
Can anyone comment on the M or L2 cup in bronze? I get the idea that bronze cuts down on high partials and M cups being in the highs, what happens? Is the M cup in bronze a good match?

I don’t have personal experience with this combination. But I would guess that an M2 in bronze would be easy to mellow out, and also driven to commercial style.
I didn’t care for the L2 but do own a brass M2. It’s very versatile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: