• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Air pocket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have come upon a problem lately. I have a nice fat tone in all my registers, low to high. But, it seems that when I am tired, and try to play a High C any louder than a solid f, my top lip will start to fill with air. This also happens around High E when I am tired. What is going on? It doesn't matter how tight I keep my corners, my lips just fills up with air. Can anyone tell me what is happening?? Thanks for any help.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to tell for sure without watching you play, but i suspect that it may be due to the fact that you are rolling your top lip in and losing contact with the mouthpiece. What would happen then is that the air flow would be directed into the lip instead of the mouthpiece. As this happens the air would cause an air pocket in the lip and as you blew harder the pocket would continue to get bigger and affect your playing more and more.

If this is what is happening, try to visualize suction cups on the outside of your lips that are gripping the mouthpiece.

Either way you should consult with a good teacher in your area if at all possible.
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldenchops55

I have the same thing going on right now, but with my lower lip!

I didn't even know it, but my new trumpet instructor pointed it out during our first session.

Allegedly, his opinion, is that the embouchure is too weak and therefore an air pocket forms.
Which really makes sense now because you/me are "tired".

I was advised just to watch it and adjust as needed.
For me I adjust my chin out and down, but I can't imagine that would work for a "puffy" upper lip!

Just my 2 cents

[ This Message was edited by: sean007r on 2002-04-13 07:55 ]
tim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air pocket thing in either the top lip or the bottom lip is (in my humble opinion) one of two things.
1. your corners are too weak and are allowing air into your set - very bad!!! This will cut down flexibility, sound and consistency.
2. your chops' way of protecting themselves from pressure between the teeth and the horn - this is straight from Arturo Sandoval. I was watching him during a lesson recently and he was playing stabs on a high E. After the 4th note, he suddenly put a noticable amount of air behind his bottom lip. His sound didn't change and he said that he felt he could put it in and take it out when he wanted to almost like an air bag for his chops...
Just for what it's worth...
Cheers,
Tim
macleod13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also get air pockets, but it has never affected my sound. In fact, when I'm playing very demanding music it gives me added endurance. I don't know... maybe I'm just a freak or something.
maynardwannabe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air pockets used to be a problem in my embouchure, and I'm going to suggest that you either teach yourself to get rid of them, by consciencely pulling the air in when you notice that happening, or building up enough endurance so that your lip won't get that tired.

I don't know how it works on your lower lip, but I've had air pockets in my upper lip SEVERELY effect how my range would go. If I have to sit and play for hours in the middle register, however, I still do it now and then. Its a great little endurance cheat, if you can manage it without damaging your tone. Still, I'd suggest removing the air pockets for safety's sake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: