• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

PICCOLO TRUMPET STUDIES by Phil Collins

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:14 am    Post subject: PICCOLO TRUMPET STUDIES by Phil Collins Reply with quote

Etude #1 from Piccolo Trumpet Studies by Phil Collins

https://youtu.be/QINovPopgPo

When I finished recording Phil Collins’ “Mini Etudes”, I thought I was finished recording etudes. We had gone back to regular work weeks here with the San Diego Symphony and I was exhausted - both mentally and physically - from recording unedited etudes with the intent of releasing them for public consumption.

What was supposed to be a long term break, turned into only a two month break from recording etudes.

In June of 2022, the San Diego Symphony performed Mussorgsky/Ravel’s “Pictures at an Exhibition” and I started my work on that in May 2022.

Normally when I work up “Samuel Goldenberg and Schmuyle” on piccolo trumpet, I only practice just that. No other piccolo work. The piccolo trumpet has always been an instrument that I’ve never needed to practice that much, nor do I need to warmup to it. It’s always just kind of easily worked for me.

That said - I thought maybe I could make “Schmuyle” just a little easier for myself and play something - etudes - that could work me better into “Schmuyle shape” by not just hammering away at “Schmuyle”

Enter the Piccolo Trumpet Studies by Phil Collins.

These 106 short etudes for piccolo trumpet start easy and progress to a point where, if you can play the last etudes, you can play nearly anything that might cross your music stand written for piccolo trumpet.

As of this writing, I have recorded about 75 of the 106 etudes. I wasn’t able to finish because it really did get to a point where recording etudes was beginning to get in the way of preparing for other musical endeavors - and I couldn’t let that happen.

Having jumped around and recorded etudes throughout the book , I can confidently say this is a fantastic book for the student beginning on piccolo to the professional looking for something short and challenging to play without exhausting themselves on solo repertoire… or “Schmuyle”!

A side note - up to this point - every etude I have recorded has been unedited. I’ve only added reverb and EQ - but (for better or worse) I haven’t touched intonation or fronts of notes or anything else.

The Schilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet I have was made in the early 1970’s (the serial number is in the 6k) and I bought it from one of my first trumpet teachers, Donald Warnaar, during my sophomore or junior year of college.

I’ve added a 3rd valve ring, which definitely helps the intonation, but I don’t have a 1st valve ring - which seriously limits what I can and cannot play in tune.

Since these etudes cover all the keys - it would’ve been impossible to adequately record them all, with the limitations of this trumpet, without the help of Melodyne to get them more in tune and actually listenable.

Melodyne is a fascinating and powerful program. It’s been a lot of fun and a truly educational experience for me to learn and use this program on these recordings.

Thank you to those of you who have been following along! This will, however, be the final large recording project I’ll take on for the foreseeable future.

The plan for these is for them to be released every 3 days or so this year. We shall see if I get the remaining 30 or so recorded…

Thanks again for following along! As always - if you have any questions or wish to comment - I’m happy to engage!

- Chris

Last edited by Basically Buzzed on Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing these. I didn't know there was a picc book.

I just did Pictures myself in community orchestra. The hardest part is playing the early stuff on C trumpet, then resting for a while, then jumping right in on Schmuyle on picc.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeirvine wrote:
Thanks for doing these. I didn't know there was a picc book.

I just did Pictures myself in community orchestra. The hardest part is playing the early stuff on C trumpet, then resting for a while, then jumping right in on Schmuyle on picc.

Thanks for taking a listen, jeirvine - I appreciate it!

- Chris
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with piccolo playing is that my chops never last long enough to get some real work done, especially when there's some really technical passages or something that can take a long time to really get a few bars down.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sd4f wrote:
My problem with piccolo playing is that my chops never last long enough to get some real work done, especially when there's some really technical passages or something that can take a long time to really get a few bars down.

I think a lot of people have this issue. The best advice I got was to never play the piccolo more than 5 mins at a time. This makes working on and learning challenging repertoire difficult - but with patience and organization, it’s not an insurmountable task.

Good luck!

- Chris
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etude #2 “Heroic” from Piccolo Trumpet Studies by Phil Collins

https://youtu.be/k2hfn0DtYqQ
3bflat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your Piccolo and trumpet playing. I really enjoy listening and find them inspiring while I'm slugging away with daily fundamentals
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3bflat wrote:
Thanks for posting your Piccolo and trumpet playing. I really enjoy listening and find them inspiring while I'm slugging away with daily fundamentals

Thank you for the kind words and for following along, 3bflat - I appreciate it!

- Chris
deleted_user_34face8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: PICCOLO TRUMPET STUDIES by Phil Collins Reply with quote

acompton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've purchased several of Phil's books since I started listening to your (Chris's) recordings of the Mini-Etudes. They're delightful pieces of music and really seem to lend themselves to practicing basic musicality and lyricism in ways I haven't sufficiently done with other studies. Perhaps in time I'll own all his books, but the four I have now is a treasure trove of enjoyable practice opportunities!

Highly recommended!

ac
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: PICCOLO TRUMPET STUDIES by Phil Collins Reply with quote

Alex Brain wrote:
Basically Buzzed wrote:

A side note - up to this point - every etude I have recorded has been unedited. I’ve only added reverb and EQ - but (for better or worse) I haven’t touched intonation or fronts of notes or anything else.

The Schilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet I have was made in the early 1970’s (the serial number is in the 6k) and I bought it from one of my first trumpet teachers, Donald Warnaar, during my sophomore or junior year of college.

I’ve added a 3rd valve ring, which definitely helps the intonation, but I don’t have a 1st valve ring - which seriously limits what I can and cannot play in tune.

Since these etudes cover all the keys - it would’ve been impossible to adequately record them all, with the limitations of this trumpet, without the help of Melodyne to get them more in tune and actually listenable.

Melodyne is a fascinating and powerful program. It’s been a lot of fun and a truly educational experience for me to learn and use this program on these recordings.

Thank you to those of you who have been following along! This will, however, be the final large recording project I’ll take on for the foreseeable future.

The plan for these is for them to be released every 3 days or so this year. We shall see if I get the remaining 30 or so recorded…

Thanks again for following along! As always - if you have any questions or wish to comment - I’m happy to engage!

- Chris

Hi,

I'd like to preface by saying what a incredible workload and ethic you have shown over the past couple of years, its extremely inspiring and admirable!

This really isn't meant to be a criticism, so please don't take it that way. I feel it is worth pointing out that, having read your reasons for using artificial intonation-correct software; Maurice Andre (or indeed a number of others) recorded all sorts of piccolo rep, in all sorts of keys, without using auto-tune software, so I personally would disagree with the suggestion that it would be 'impossible to adequately record them... without the help of Melodyne...'.

Doesn't detract from what an impressive feat of dedication you have shown though, and that much I cannot praise enough!

While I accept the criticism - as I said at the outset - on THIS piccolo trumpet - which is setup for orchestral playing in about 4 different keys - it would be impossible for me to play in tune in all the keys. In 20+ years of professional trumpet playing, I don’t think I’ve ever had to play 123 or 1234 valve combinations - which many of these etudes require.
I am in no way comparing myself to Maurice André - I’m simply recording etudes to present as what COULD be expected from a live performance - albeit with some help intonation-wise.
I suppose I could’ve said nothing about the use of Melodyne - but then that would’ve truly created an unrealistic expectation of what could be accomplished on an average piccolo trumpet.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acompton wrote:
I've purchased several of Phil's books since I started listening to your (Chris's) recordings of the Mini-Etudes. They're delightful pieces of music and really seem to lend themselves to practicing basic musicality and lyricism in ways I haven't sufficiently done with other studies. Perhaps in time I'll own all his books, but the four I have now is a treasure trove of enjoyable practice opportunities!

Highly recommended!

ac

Excellent! Have fun with these, Andrew!

- Chris
deleted_user_34face8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: PICCOLO TRUMPET STUDIES by Phil Collins Reply with quote

Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etude #3 “Tranquil” from Piccolo Trumpet Studies by Phil Collins

https://youtu.be/M1gkqia6JzE
3bflat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your playing. Inspired me to purchased the etude book.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etude #4 “Song” from Piccolo Trumpet Studies by Phil Collins

https://youtu.be/epn-FGXlxCw
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically Buzzed wrote:

Man! Beautiful tone!

I gotta find this book. I feel like with piccolo trumpet, I've never found a whole lot of etudes that I enjoyed and I always end up working excerpts or old baroque solos, but whew these really are beautiful and seem to include useful technique that even an undergrad piccolo trumpet beginner would benefit from.

Gotta give it a shot and see how it works for my students.

I hope to meet you in March as well! I plan on being in town auditioning for the 2nd trumpet position with San Diego. Short drive for me in LA.

Great work!
Bach 183 Flugelhorn
Bach LB 229 Eb/D Long Bell
Bach 184 Cornet
Kanstul 920
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etude #5 “March” from Piccolo Trumpet Studies by Phil Collins

https://youtu.be/qVPilok7n-g
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stradbrother wrote:
Basically Buzzed wrote:

Man! Beautiful tone!

I gotta find this book. I feel like with piccolo trumpet, I've never found a whole lot of etudes that I enjoyed and I always end up working excerpts or old baroque solos, but whew these really are beautiful and seem to include useful technique that even an undergrad piccolo trumpet beginner would benefit from.

Gotta give it a shot and see how it works for my students.

I hope to meet you in March as well! I plan on being in town auditioning for the 2nd trumpet position with San Diego. Short drive for me in LA.

Great work!

Hi stradbrother! Thanks for taking a listen and commenting! Phil’s books can all be purchased from him directly by messaging him on Facebook.

I hope to meet you when you are out in San Diego!

- Chris
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etude #6 “Lumbering March” from Piccolo Trumpet Studies by Phil Collins

https://youtu.be/VHfAtoY5Hwc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: