• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hickman's Mute - Planel mvmt. 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Hickman's Mute - Planel mvmt. 2 Reply with quote

Currently working on Planel for DMA auditions and a recital. David Hickman's recording of the Planel concerto is one of my all-time favorites. Anyone know specifically which mute he used on the second movement?
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler,

Thanks for the nice compliment. I did not use any mute in the second movement of the Planel. However, when I perform the piece with piano accompaniment, I use an adjustable Dennis Wick cup mute.

I find that with orchestra in large concert halls, the cup mute is too soft to be heard well. If I play louder, the tone will tend to become too harsh. Often times, composers assume that a mute has the same effect as a mute added to the bridge of a string instrument, which softens the sound without making much change in color. So, I think what they really want is an open sound, but really soft. . . so I just play very softly.

David Hickman
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
Tyler,

Thanks for the nice compliment. I did not use any mute in the second movement of the Planel. However, when I perform the piece with piano accompaniment, I use an adjustable Dennis Wick cup mute.

I find that with orchestra in large concert halls, the cup mute is too soft to be heard well. If I play louder, the tone will tend to become too harsh. Often times, composers assume that a mute has the same effect as a mute added to the bridge of a string instrument, which softens the sound without making much change in color. So, I think what they really want is an open sound, but really soft. . . so I just play very softly.

David Hickman

Wow, thank you! All I could hear was a change in volume, not color, so this explains a lot. I have never felt the latitude to omit a mute when it was explicitly requested by the composer. It is good to know this is an option, under the right circumstances.

Yes, wonderful recording. I worked very hard to match your tone color and articulation on this album when I was in graduate school at the University of New Mexico. It was very instructive. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: