• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scammer on the Herald

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Scammer in the Herald Marketplace? Reply with quote

Should I be concerned?

There are some horns posted for sale in the marketplace. Couple of red flags:

Will only accept PayPal Friends & Family. No 'you pay the fees for normal', just 'only friends & family'.

Fair number of typos in the ads. They look to be written in a hurry.

There are four times as many ads as there are forum postings. Eight marketplace ads, 2 forum posts. One saying that he thought Doc Severinsen was a good player.

Should I be concerned or annoyed? Or shrug it off?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Scammer in the Herald Marketplace? Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
Should I be concerned?

Will only accept PayPal Friends & Family. No 'you pay the fees for normal', just 'only friends & family'.

Fair number of typos in the ads. They look to be written in a hurry.

There are four times as many ads as there are forum postings. Eight marketplace ads, 2 forum posts. One saying that he thought Doc Severinsen was a good player.

Should I be concerned or annoyed? Or shrug it off?

I cannot think of a reason why a seller would not allow the buyer to avoid FaF by paying the fees. They might not know about putting in the “you pay the fees for normal” text.

So IIWM, I would contact them to see if they would accept normal if I agree to pay the difference. If they won’t do that I would run away fast.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Scammer in the Herald Marketplace? Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
Should I be concerned?

Using F&F for the sale of merchandise is a violation of the terms of the seller's agreement with PayPal. If they are violating their terms of service (using PayPal's service but cheating them our of their fee for the service), and inviting you to join them in this fraud, then likely they're not trustworthy. It also means the buyer forfeits any buyer protection.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Logan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the best way for me to sell my trumpet without being scammed? I don't wanna make somebody travel for something that's going to be expensive already, and I don't wanna get scammed by having somebody send money(or have the post steal it). I was thinking paypal, but is there a better alternative?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan wrote:
What would be the best way for me to sell my trumpet without being scammed? I don't wanna make somebody travel for something that's going to be expensive already, and I don't wanna get scammed by having somebody send money(or have the post steal it). I was thinking paypal, but is there a better alternative?

Do not agree to use PayPal friends and family. It lowers the fees but removes the protections if a dispute or outright fraud happens. I am sure many people have had good experiences using it on transactions, but that will not help you if you end up connecting with a scammer.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only agree to Family and Friends if it actually involves family and/or friends. On occasion, I have agreed to buy something on line and the seller has insisted on PayPal Family and Friends. If I really want the item badly enough, I will suggest that the seller include the PayPal fees in the final price. It is worth it to me to pay a little more and have full PayPal protection. If the seller still refuses, I assume it is some kind of scam and I will walk away.
Logan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
I only agree to Family and Friends if it actually involves family and/or friends. On occasion, I have agreed to buy something on line and the seller has insisted on PayPal Family and Friends. If I really want the item badly enough, I will suggest that the seller include the PayPal fees in the final price. It is worth it to me to pay a little more and have full PayPal protection. If the seller still refuses, I assume it is some kind of scam and I will walk away.

I'm looking to sell a trumpet, not buy one. I'm trying to to get scammed by somebody who wants the instrument but doesn't want to pay.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan,

If you are selling, and you use PayPal, you don't ship until you have the money in your account, and avoid the friends and family, use the business mode.

About the only thing the buyer can do to you is claim you have in some way misrepresented your item, or it was damaged in shipment (buy good shipping insurance just in case.) Bed sure your ad has clearly shown any flaws or irregularities. Insurance and transaction protection cost money, so price your horn accordingly. Frankly, that is why I usually use eBay.

You could try Craigslist for face to face coin of the realm transfer, but even that has its dangers. That is how I do local sales, usually meeting at a local parking lot in daylight. And even then, I "carry" for which I am licensed. Our world is scary now.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Logan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Logan,

If you are selling, and you use PayPal, you don't ship until you have the money in your account, and avoid the friends and family, use the business mode.

About the only thing the buyer can do to you is claim you have in some way misrepresented your item, or it was damaged in shipment (buy good shipping insurance just in case.) Bed sure your ad has clearly shown any flaws or irregularities. Insurance and transaction protection cost money, so price your horn accordingly. Frankly, that is why I usually use eBay.

You could try Craigslist for face to face coin of the realm transfer, but even that has its dangers. That is how I do local sales, usually meeting at a local parking lot in daylight. And even then, I "carry" for which I am licensed. Our world is scary now.

Thanks for the help, I've never sold anything online before and this seemed like a great place to sell my trumpet because there are some talented people who know what they're looking for. I'll keep all this in mind.
Steve 2061

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Payment Methods Reply with quote

Is it prudent to use Venmo to receive a payment when I sell a trumpet? I just joined and want to sell my 1975 Yamaha YTR-734 but have not done this before? Is UPS a good form of shipping to the buyer.

Any advise much welcomed.

Thanks all.

Steve
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Payment Methods Reply with quote

Steve 2061 wrote:
Is it prudent to use Venmo to receive a payment when I sell a trumpet? I just joined and want to sell my 1975 Yamaha YTR-734 but have not done this before? Is UPS a good form of shipping to the buyer.

Any advise much welcomed.

Thanks all.

Steve

Don't use venmo if you aren't meeting in person. You have no recourse. UPS should be fine, but get payment up-front.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Current scammer pattern Reply with quote

Quote:
I recently purchase some items from a member here @[username], [item] are among the items he's willing to part out with. You can email him at [email address] if he still have it available for sale.

I've recently been sent some messages similar to the above. The email address and supposed username vary. Scammer all the way, 100%.

-td
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Another scam from this morning Reply with quote

Quote:
INTERESTED IN YOUR ADVERT.
Hello, I am interested in your advert and i would like to ask for the price and any available photo if it's still for sale.
send the current photo to my mother email address below

Some of these came in this morning, apparently.

-td
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Another scam from this morning Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
Quote:
INTERESTED IN YOUR ADVERT.
Hello, I am interested in your advert and i would like to ask for the price and any available photo if it's still for sale.
send the current photo to my mother email address below

Some of these came in this morning, apparently.

-td

I did as well. Seemed weird. Glad you posted this. Thanks. Delete fodder!!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest:

Quote:
Do you still have it for sale ?. Email Dad more photos for closer view

Scam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: