• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Going 100% Paperless

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Going 100% Paperless Reply with quote

With the way modern tech is, I am thinking of going 100% paperless. It would be incredibly convenient to have everything I could possibly need or want to play just on my iPad.

Has anybody converted all their paper music to digital? I am looking for tips on the best way to do this without damaging my books. Of course, I realize I cannot share the digital copies with others -- that's fine. It's just for my own use.

The best way that I can think of is to carefully disassemble each book that uses staples, copy the pages, and reassemble. Some of the books are bound together with glue, however, and those I cannot take apart. This is where it gets tricky.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an app on my phone called Genius Scan to scan music and other documents into pdf’s. It works really well. Then I bluetooth music to the Forscore app on the iPad.

FYI, Genius Scan works on the iPad too, but I have found it to work better on the phone.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
I use an app on my phone called Genius Scan to scan music and other documents into pdf’s. It works really well. Then I bluetooth music to the Forscore app on the iPad.

FYI, Genius Scan works on the iPad too, but I have found it to work better on the phone.

John

How high is the image resolution?
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an app called Newzik. It has a built in scanner to add files. You can adjust and crop so the ones from glued books look better without taking the book apart. It is a subscription service which I realise people don't like but I find it very useful. It comes with web access too which acts as a backup. I found ForScore to be sometimes unreliable but that's just my experience.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent most of my books to 1DollarScan. They do a terrific job at 300dpi, which works well for music. You can get 600dpi for an added fee, but I've found that to be unnecessary. They don't send the books back, however, so that may not be an option for you (though perhaps they would return books for an extra fee).

For scans of shorter pieces, or when I need something quickly, I use Adobe Scan on my smart phone. Works well, especially when the pages lay flat. Automatically corrects for shadows, skew, etc.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
jengstrom wrote:

John

How high is the image resolution?

It depends on the camera and whether you fill the whole screen with the image, but for most current phones, it will be around 300 dpi. I have found, when scanning with my printer into a laptop, that 100 dpi is plenty for music.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for GeniusScan! It works great on iPhone and iPad.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are pros and cons to going paperless.

With the wedding band I was with, we used backing tracks, and because of that, everything in the book was always on the table for every gig, which mean that I had 700+ charts in the trumpet book. When I first got to the band, we had a paper book because we only had 100 or so charts - everything would go in a D-ring binder, which eventually led to a hard spine legal binder, and that was both ugly and unwieldly, not to mention that we eventually outgrew that too.

We ended up initially going with a Music Pad Pro, but those had their own shortcomings and when iPads came out, it was a no-brainer to make the switch. It was a massive undertaking for the bandleader who scanned and organized everything himself.

With the wedding band, there really was no other viable way to do it than to go paperless. It was go paperless, or start culling charts from the book to bring it down to a manageable size, and the bandleader didn't want to do that.

Now for the cons....

With electronics, it's never a matter of if it's going to fail, it's when, and whether or not you have any kind of fault tolerance built in.

I've used my iPad here and there for smaller jobs, but by and large I'm back to paper. Lots of things can happen with paper, but it will never fail like electronics will.

Regarding scanning music, I tend to use Adobe Scan on my iPhone these days - it's about as painless as it gets, although I've actually used the camera itself to "scan" music in a pinch before I had a good scanning app. I took a photo, cropped it, and then adjusted color and contrast until it was black and white, but ultimately I had to convert it to something a bit more document friendly than an image.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I will likely just use my own scanner and upload them that way. It's a long project, though.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Going 100% Paperless Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
The best way that I can think of is to carefully disassemble each book that uses staples, copy the pages, and reassemble. Some of the books are bound together with glue, however, and those I cannot take apart. This is where it gets tricky.

Decades ago I took trumpet lessons from a teacher who would sell his students his recommended thick method books, like Arban and St. Jacome, that he had taken to a copy shop and paid them to cut the glued spine off and convert the whole book into a "comb bound" version that could be laid out flat on a music stand. He even had the covers laminated. He claimed he charged no markup and the price seemed reasonable; I still have my comb-bound copies of both books.

I would echo those who mentioned backup plans. Not too long ago I played a gig with a bass player who had scanned the gig book and only brought his iPad... which, unfortunately, hadn't charged when last plugged in. There was an awkward moment while the band rearranged on the stage so the bass player could read off the piano player's charts.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note...during halftime of Monday's Rose Bowl game I saw a Penn State Sousaphone player reading off of his phone. It's all fun and games until you drop your phone.

Kent
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timely question, as I'm just in the process of going paperless this week starting with a big band gig tomorrow night. Now all paper for our brass ensemble, concert band, big band and pops orchestra will be on one screen; no more binders!

I scan my sheet music on my Brother DCP L2550DW b/w printer/scanner and save as PDFs. The quality is excellent.

Just picked up a Dell Latitude 2-in-1 7390 laptop (https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=dell+latitude+7390+2-in-1+laptop&_sacat=0). The 2-in-1 allows the screen to be folded back 360 degrees, effectively making it into a tablet with a 13.1" screen. Brightness is also excellent. Cost me $350 CDN, would be $270 USD.

Software is MobileSheets (https://zubersoft.onfastspring.com/). *Highly* recommended and extremely versatile, can do anything you need and more. Cost is about $18 USD.

Have fun.
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
On a related note...during halftime of Monday's Rose Bowl game I saw a Penn State Sousaphone player reading off of his phone. It's all fun and games until you drop your phone.

Kent

Ok, now there is a scenario where I would NOT go paperless!
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would jump in here with questions. Getting a galaxy tab s7 fe delivered tomorrow. . It's a 12.4" tablet and should work well for music. I have some pdfs and think mobilesheets will be my best option.
For scanning my books or sheet music I have. Would it be better to try and use my phone, the tabs7 or a hp printer I have that's not hooked up currently? It was given to me and just never got any ink for it, so never hooked it up. It's an hp45020.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sure your printer would do it, but it’s a whole lot easier using the camera on a mobile device. Just make sure you’re using a scanning app to create a pdf file. A pdf uses a fraction of the storage space a photo will.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
I’m sure your printer would do it, but it’s a whole lot easier using the camera on a mobile device. Just make sure you’re using a scanning app to create a pdf file. A pdf uses a fraction of the storage space a photo will.

John

What did are you using for the scanning?
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my 12-inch iPad with a foot pedal for page turns for musicals since the fall of 2017. It has definitely helped with page turns. I have gradually scanned a few solos and shorter books for use in forScore on my iPad. A string bass instructor at a local university told me that he had scanned all of his music to use on his 12-inch iPad. He said it took him three (3) months to scan his entire library. This was four years ago! Man, do I feel behind!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and when it comes to playing musicals, I always mark up the book with the same edits that I have made in forScore in case something "happens." It could be disastrous for a last-minute sub if a personal emergency arises. And that hard copy book remains on the stand the entire run of the show.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do most all my scanning with Genius Scan on my iPad. I've found that if I put the iPad on a suitable size box on a table with the camera hanging over one side. Then I can just set the source material on the table. When you initiate the scanning the app surveys the field until it finds the edges then snaps the scan, no need to push a button. Then you have several seconds to change to the next page and again it finds the edges and snaps automatically. Afterward, it helps to go through the scans and crop to maximize the image but the app makes that pretty easy. I've omitted a few details for brevity. This is TONS easier than any flatbed scanner or handheld phone I've ever used. I've done some pretty big jobs fairly quickly with great results.

Then in a single step, the app converts it to PDF and uploads to a cloud location. Then I import it back into Forscore.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll stick with paper…lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: