• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Going 100% Paperless

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I’ll stick with paper…lol

It's worked for millenia!
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I am using camscanner on my phone to scan my paper music and books. It's working but taking time. I'll update in here once my tablet arrives tomorrow.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am using the scan feature on my Brother DCP-L2550DW laser printer. Excellent results, saves as sharp, high-contrast PDFs. In my experience using a cell camera to scan gives mediocre/uneven results at best so I prefer a bed scanner.
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proteus wrote:
Am using the scan feature on my Brother DCP-L2550DW laser printer. Excellent results, saves as sharp, high-contrast PDFs. In my experience using a cell camera to scan gives mediocre/uneven results at best so I prefer a bed scanner.

My only issue with using my printer is my books I would have to tear them apart to scan them.
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often true - but the Brother software allows me to scan the page in any orientation and then rotate the image 90 or 180 degrees, so I never have to take books apart.
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Cannon printer/scanner for most things, and a scanner app on the iPad or phone at times.
The quality on the scanner seems to be better. (sharper lines, etc)
But the apps are more than good enough - sometimes a little awkward to get a flat scan.

Using a Mac you do have the built in ability to edit .pdf's and then again in Forscore.

I'm not 100% there yet, but very close. The last musical I played, because of time (I was a last minute sub), and numerous printed edits, cuts, and additions, I used paper.

I'm finding it extremely valuable for teaching lessons, not only can you carry a ton of music with you, but easy to send/share a page with and without edits to the student. "I don't have that book/music with me..." doesn't fly anymore.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proteus wrote:

I used to agree. But big books are a pain on a flatbed. And the cameras and apps have gotten so much better. My app locates the page edges and takes the scan without needing to push a button. If it detected that the camera isn't exactly straight it automatically corrects for it. There's even a tool that allows quickly cropping any page to maximize the image size. See my earlier post. I don't even have to hold the camera/pad.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pedals are you guy/gals using?
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Airturn pedal that I use once in a while. I find it to hard to find the right section of the pedal when I’m looking at music, so I only use it if I have to. I prefer to use the half-screen page function in Forscore. I can usually find a rest of a measure or two where I have the time to turn the page manually on the iPad.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Going 100% Paperless Reply with quote

[quote="nieuwguyski"]
LaTrompeta wrote:

I would echo those who mentioned backup plans. Not too long ago I played a gig with a bass player who had scanned the gig book and only brought his iPad... which, unfortunately, hadn't charged when last plugged in. There was an awkward moment while the band rearranged on the stage so the bass player could read off the piano player's charts.

This is the kind of mistake I fear. I triple check to make sure the iPad is charged, and I keep an auxiliary charging battery in my bag. I believe in Murphy’s Law because, hey, I could be related. But I’d still rather tote the iPad than several 4” thick binders.

And even if the iPad isn’t fully charged, it only uses about 20% of the battery for a 2 hr rehearsal or gig.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't bother with a pedal and I use half-page mode quite a bit.

And I also try to keep a backup USB battery on hand. I found an inexpensive one at Target that has short fixed cords for both lightning and USB-C. Works great and is cheap insurance.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
golfhorn4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Donating or Selling the filing cabinet of books and music? Reply with quote

I started playing in 1965 in school - now I have boxes and filing cabinets of music, methods, excerpts, quintets etc... Since most literature is now scanned and available online are there people still collecting the printed versions? Where is a good place to sell or donate?
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Donating or Selling the filing cabinet of books and musi Reply with quote

golfhorn4 wrote:
I started playing in 1965 in school - now I have boxes and filing cabinets of music, methods, excerpts, quintets etc... Since most literature is now scanned and available online are there people still collecting the printed versions? Where is a good place to sell or donate?

You can donate to high and middle schools
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
I have an Airturn pedal that I use once in a while. I find it to hard to find the right section of the pedal when I’m looking at music, so I only use it if I have to. I prefer to use the half-screen page function in Forscore. I can usually find a rest of a measure or two where I have the time to turn the page manually on the iPad.

John

This issue is why I went back to paper. Having three pages on my stand and needing to DC or DS and going back and forth between the pages is awkward using a pedal. I would frequently go too far or too little or just miss the pedal completely.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Donating or Selling the filing cabinet of books and musi Reply with quote

golfhorn4 wrote:
... Where is a good place to sell or donate?

------------------------
If you have complete parts (all instruments) for pieces that have appeal for public performance, you can probably sell them here or on other 'instrument' sites. Quartets, Quintets, full wind-band, polkas, etc.

My guess is that unless the material is really desirable, donating to school would result in band director doing a quick look-through, and then telling students to 'take what you want, we'll recycle the rest'.

My community band music archives is full of old stuff that will never be used.
Some things get 'old & good', most just gets 'old'.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I've tried some of the scanner tools on Android recommended here and found them very lacking compared to the basic scanner on Apple Notes.

Sadly, my iPad is basically non-functional at this point.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Going 100% Paperless Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:

Has anybody converted all their paper music to digital? I am looking for tips on the best way to do this without damaging my books. Of course, I realize I cannot share the digital copies with others -- that's fine. It's just for my own use.

The best way that I can think of is to carefully disassemble each book that uses staples, copy the pages, and reassemble. Some of the books are bound together with glue, however, and those I cannot take apart. This is where it gets tricky.

It's on the pricier side, but if you can swing it, I suggest a CZUR book scanner. The software flattens the pages, this way you don't have to worry about disassembling any of the books or anything like that. If the pages won't lay flat, no problem the software can do it. I can buzz through a 200-page book in about 5-10 minutes. Highly recommend it. I've found other uses too, for instance, I don't have to shop for a big printer with a document feeder because I have the CZUR scanner. I have one of the original models so I'm sure there are also improvements.

My dad was a band director and I inherited quite a bit of music and other literature from him which is why I purchased it. Between all of his stuff and all of my stuff, I'm only about halfway through and I've been at it off and on for the last 2 years.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
jengstrom wrote:

John

This issue is why I went back to paper. Having three pages on my stand and needing to DC or DS and going back and forth between the pages is awkward using a pedal. I would frequently go too far or too little or just miss the pedal completely.

For this, there is a way (in Forscore anyway) to put in programmed jumps to D.S. and Coda targets, but it's a kind of a pain to set up. The other, easier approach, is simply to edit the original PDF of the piece in question. I set it up with duplicate pages, especially for multi-page DS jumps, which are just as nasty with paper, honestly. Especially outdoors, with wind, page covers or clips, etc. I duplicate the pages, so that EVERY page turn is a next page, not previous. And I just highlight the jump locations. So, If it's 3 pages, with a DS from page 3 to page 1, then a jump to a coda back on page 3, just as an example, I'd duplicate the pages, rather than turn back, then forward again, across multiple pages. Takes a few seconds to set it up, then load it into forscore and never have to worry about this issue.. makes all jumps the same as a normal page turn.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
...there is a way (in Forscore anyway) to put in programmed jumps to D.S. and Coda targets, but it's a kind of a pain to set up. The other, easier approach, is simply to edit the original PDF of the piece in question. I set it up with duplicate pages, especially for multi-page DS jumps, which are just as nasty with paper, honestly. Especially outdoors, with wind, page covers or clips, etc. I duplicate the pages, so that EVERY page turn is a next page, not previous. And I just highlight the jump locations. So, If it's 3 pages, with a DS from page 3 to page 1, then a jump to a coda back on page 3, just as an example, I'd duplicate the pages, rather than turn back, then forward again, across multiple pages. Takes a few seconds to set it up, then load it into forscore and never have to worry about this issue.. makes all jumps the same as a normal page turn.

Along these lines, I will do as much prep work like this on my Mac prior to transferring to forScore on my iPad. I use a program called PDFPenPro, and I duplicate the pages with repeats of any kind. Then I "cover" the sections on the subsequent pages (that are not to be played on the 2nd pass) with the Rectangular Tool, where I've already designated such tool to be white in color to match the color of paper. You can do similar things in forScore, but working on my Mac is quicker for me. One of the professional bassists in town, who has taught at one of the large universities for years, told me over five years ago that he'd already scanned all of his books and solo rep into forScore and was no longer using paper. He said it took about 3-4 months of scanning to get there! (Not sure how many hours each day were involved.)

I have used my iPad on many musicals since 2017, and it has saved me a lot of grief regarding otherwise awkward page turns and upcoming mute changes, especially. Early on I purchased a PageFlip Butterfly foot pedal and used some 3-inch wide white tape that they use in the pit to put on both pedal sides, so that I could see it in the dimly-lit pit area. The white tape catches just enough of the ambient light in case things get slightly shifted from night to night.

I didn't watch "Dancing with the Stars," but I understand when they had a live orchestra (Rick Baptist on Lead Tpt was listed in the credits at the end of each show...orch was fired in Feb. 2014), but I was told that occasionally, the camera would pan around the orchestra, and you could see their music on a screen(s) that took up the entire music stand width and which could display two pages simultaneously. Someone here may be able to find a video link showing this. Anyway, that would be my preference, that is, to have two pages displaying at all times, so that I can see more of what's coming, especially when I'm first learning a show. I recall seeing an ad for a music stand with a double-wide screen like that, where you could load .pdfs of music. I imagine it'd still be pretty pricey if available now.

Re: using an iPad during shows. You have to be prepared to turn the screen off quickly if you're doing a show that has a swift blackout, like at the end of Act I in some shows. Other than that, I haven't experienced any challenges. Do not use it if you're playing a national tour, and the Lead Tpt is using paper; use the book, of course.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a 12.9" iPad Pro for a number of years almost exclusively. The only situations I still read from print is gigs where I do not get the music early or national tours. I have lost some vision and the consistent lighting and clearness of the iPad has made things much easier,

I also agree that with careful editing and using the Rearrange feature of ForScore, you can make it much more convenient that flipping physical pages. If you have the pro version of ForScore, you can also copy, paste, and move sections of the PDF file. Additionally, using the DropBox function, I have access to my rather sizable quintet library anywhere I have internet access. This has saved the day on more than one occasion where someone in the quintet has mislaid their part (***cough, cough; tuba players.... )

I used to use an AirTurn pedal, but it was one more charging issue. I now use a Flic controller. To go backward, you have to press twice, diminishing the chances of accidentally going the wrong way. Using magnets, in conjunction with plastic washers and nuts, I can mount the Flic on the valve block and use my left thumb to turn pages; super-convenient. The magnets make it a snap (pun intended) to swap the Flic from horn to horn. However, even without using a page turn device, I still prefer the tap rather than fumbling trying to grab the edge of the page. Remember trying to turn those filthy, ratty originals on Chicago national tours? And they were individual pages, if I recall correctly...

With that said, I do keep a charged power bank and hard copies with me in case of catastrophic failure. However, I've had no issues in my entire experience. I'm not sure about the reliability of Android or other tablets, but I feel confident with the iPad. To me, it's no more of an issue than making sure you have power for a stand light. My only issue is that my eyesight continues to degrade. I hope they will release a larger tablet as my vision goes south.

HTH

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: