• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TheMoosesHorns on EBay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: TheMoosesHorns on EBay Reply with quote

OK, so I have a bit of a rep for being hard on retailers, and harder on EBay sellers. But in the last few months, I have had amazing experiences with two of them that appear widely on EBay, and TheMoosesHorns is one of the two that I really feel I should break with tradition and say something positive about (notice, I didn't say everything - can't go too far from who I am after all)

I was in a pinch trying to put together a display of readily available vintage and current, or representative of current, production horns for someone who is looking to get back into playing after many decades away, but who once played at a fairly capable level. I wanted to include a particular brand that I have been hesitant about, but which has been gaining steadily in build quality and performance to the point that they are, (even in my arrogant book) serious contenders.

The horn I was looking for is a new model, so finding one used at a significant discount off new was a real gift - or so I thought. Looking at it, I spotted that the lacquer had been removed at certain spots - the edges of escutcheons, the incised lines, etc. - all of the places that angled surfaces come together and tinted lacquer normally pools into dark lines. I also spotted tell-tale scorch marks (as I call them, not actual carbon) on the spring boxes. I have enough experience with brass in an ultrasonic (cleaning cooling system fittings alongside stainless instrumentation fittings) to recognize these as signs of an "overcooked" horn. As tight and angular clearances between surfaces focus the energy in the cleaner, those areas are attacked much more aggressively. When someone leaves the pistons in, that includes the casing walls.

Still, I was in a pinch, and The MoosesHorns said it seemed OK when photographed. Well, not everyone has spent hundreds of hours with an ultrasonic and brass.... Yeah, the valves leaked really bad.

But, I had no one to blame but myself.

Still, hearing of this, they wanted to make things right. I had also worked over what I believe to have been the reason someone left the horn in WAY too long, which was calcified hard wax on the slides. As I had abrasively altered it to clean-up that issue, asking them to take it back would be completely unfair to them. They offered a partial refund when I made this argument, and I expressed again that I bear some responsibility, and declined to suggest any amount. They refunded me the cost of a valve job.

Wow.

I am left in awe of this. They had no requirement to do so. I had admitted my responsibility. Still, they covered the full cost of the major issue.

I am not used to encountering integrity and generosity like that very often - in fact I can think of only 2 other times in hundreds of transactions over a dozen years (vs lots at the other end of the spectrum ....).

So, while they did not ask me to say anything, I thought, especially seeing that they have very little mention here, I should post something as a way to say thank you to a very decent and generous EBay seller.

There will be another of these posts from me shortly. I owe a more frequent appearance here a bit of an apology and tribute for proving my skepticism wrong - so more on that seller another day.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20

Last edited by OldSchoolEuph on Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ultrasonically cleaned easily over 10,000 instruments and never had it cause any issues with valve tolerance that weren't already in the horn when it arrived, nor have I ever heard any other repair tech mention this in my entire time in the industry.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Getzen Capri cornet from TheMoosesHorns. Despite it being a 50+ year old horn, the nickel silver inner slides are like new. There is a little bit of lacquer loss around the valve casing and one spot on the bell bow where it appears a dent was removed, but it was clean like a new horn. It came with new silicone water key pads and new valve felts, as well as the original case in great condition (even smells new). It plays beautifully, and the price was much less than I think the horn is actually worth. I would happily do business with them again when I have some money and they have a horn I want.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
I've ultrasonically cleaned easily over 10,000 instruments and never ....

I would hope. The point of this wasn't the ultrasonic cleaner abuse - which happened prior to TheMoosesHorns having custody of this horn - rather it was how amazing it was for them to share the loss when they were not at fault. Unless you had experience with leaving brass in an ultrasonic for 2 orders of magnitude longer than you should, you would not recognize the signs.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done many experiments with leaving things in for hours at a time to see what can happen.
Ultrasonic cleaners and chemicals used for instruments are not the same as those used in heavy industry.
puzzleheadedcow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I haven't been on this forum for a long time it seemed like the OP is an expert. To think a cleaning machine could wear out valves... that sure sounds like an expert opinion

I might have to rethink reading and believing that persons posts from now.

-PHC
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puzzleheadedcow wrote:
While I haven't been on this forum for a long time it seemed like the OP is an expert. To think a cleaning machine could wear out valves... that sure sounds like an expert opinion

I might have to rethink reading and believing that persons posts from now.

You can lead a horse to water, but apparently you can't make him use grammar, punctuation, or reason.

This post was created to recognize a lesser publicized EBay retailer for having gone above and beyond. Some readers may want to consider that when deciding who to buy from on EBay.

Sorry if pointing out that some folks' favorite short-cut in the shop can be abused upset them.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: