• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scherzer Piccolo 8111 vs 8112

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swe1987

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Scherzer Piccolo 8111 vs 8112 Reply with quote

I've been trying to find out information about Scherzer piccolo trumpets and am curious if anyone knows the difference(s) between the 8111 and the 8112 models. I'd like to say I'm saving up for one, but it'll be a while till I have the funds. I would love any information anyone could give in regard to those horns.

I don't know if it matters or not but I play on a Yamaha YTR-9830.

Thanks!
claf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 8112.

8111: 5 valves. Left-hand valve is the 3rd valve trigger and right-hand 4th valve is the "4th valve".
8112: 4 valves. Left-hand valve is the 4th valve, no 3rd valve trigger.
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

claf has it correct, I play a 8111. I actually played on a Yamaha 9830 before I bought the Scherzer, both are great horns but I found the Scherzer to have a "warmer" sound. Took a little while to get used to the rotary valves but haven't regretted the move.

I've found the 3rd valve trigger nice to have, don't use it much for baroque music but it's great to have for musical theater stuff. I played it for a production of Into the Woods last fall and I'm using it for a production of Something Rotten this spring, lots of 1-3 valve combinations that I use the trigger on. I've never played an 8112 though so not sure if the trigger has an impact on the sound of the horn.

One challenge I found was finding a stand for it, the K&M clarinet stand that I used for my 9830 doesn't work for the Scherzer because the weight of the horn isn't as centered around the bell. Ended up getting a Hercules 3-peg trumpet stand and using a clarinet/flute peg for the piccolo.
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a used 8111 for sale on here: https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=138783&s=Scherzer-Rotary-Piccolo-Trumpet

I've played that horn for over 10 years, and am only selling it because I find myself using my piston valve piccolo all the time and hate to have this beautiful horn just sitting in the case indefinitely, not making a sound.

The bigger bell, gold brass, and rotors make the tone warmer and smoother than a typical piston piccolo trumpet. It's a really great solo instrument. You can also use firmer articulations without it sounding too punchy. Mine is certainly well used but it's way less expensive than a new one.

One note: mine is a 8111 but it doesn't have the "5th valve." I don't know when they added that to the design, and it would certainly be cool to be able to toggle the 3rd slide. The intonation is decent if you move the slides to work in whatever key you're going to be playing in. It's well in-tune for D major with the A pipe, which is 90% of what we typically do on picc, at least in my experience.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 8111 with the "fifth valve." It's not a valve, of course, just a third slide trigger, but on these horns it's extremely useful. It's a very well-placed trigger which makes playing those pesky D's so much easier. If you're looking for one, I'd suggest either finding one with the trigger or adding it later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: