• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

moving

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffT453

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: moving Reply with quote

So I’m in the process of moving and getting stuff packed. The first floor bedroom that I practice in is almost empty and has hardwood floors, 10 foot ceiling, a glass wall, kind of a bump out area, and is about 12’x10 or so.

OMG the acoustics in there are now amazing! So nice to practice in there, I should be recording or something before I move out! lol
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago we had flooding in a portion of our house due to a faulty plumbing issue. We had to move all of our furniture from our master bedroom to remove the soaked carpet. For days all that was in that 17'x22' room were a few pictures on the walls and a concrete floor. It took almost two weeks of shopping/deciding on new flooring (tile that looks like wood) and lining up a tile guy. During that time, I reveled in the sound, practicing all kinds of hours in it. One mother of a voice student of my wife heard me one day while sitting in the front room. She said that I sounded great! It sounded great to me, too!

Before I was married, I used to practice a lot in a parking garage in Houston late at night...10pm-2am!...crazy, I know! But I loved being able to tune intervals with lingering pitches. It caused me to relax more in my blow and my general approach to playing became more efficient. A few months before our wedding, the adjoining high-rise office bldg to that garage had a business that started having a split shift up until maybe midnight, and they hired a security guard who ran me off (in a nice way). Sad experience.

Years later when teaching tpt lessons at Houston Baptist Univ. (now Houston Christian Univ.), the old music bldg was flooded at one point from a hurricane (I think it was Ike in 2008), and the new music bldg had "theatre changing rooms" that we adjuncts could use. They were so dead, I chose to use a stairwell! It was like old times!

Some call these not "echo chambers," but "ego chambers," and I get that. I'm convinced, though, that there are benefits to playing in extreme acoustic settings...very dry to very wet. I even posed the question in a TH thread some time back (in the past 2-3 years) about how to design a room in your home that mimics that very wet acoustic. No responses are memorable. I guess the only way is to have a concrete floor and nothing else. I would think you could have cabinets, but only if you could attach a very "reflective" material to them, like a very hard tile? Ideas?
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you want to practice more, I don't see an issue with that. Dry rooms are boring and painful to practice in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: