• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thompson music price gouging in the wake ofVan Laar death

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reading of the OP's post is that:
1) some time in the past the online price was 2400
2) OP called and TALKED with seller about price - ASKING if still available for 2400
3) it is unclear what the online price was at time of the call, or if the price changed during the call / negotiations

IF the online price at time of the call was 2400, the OP is justified in believing that it could be bought for that price. If the online price had earlier changed ... negotiations.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hate to say it because it might seem that I'm taking sides, which I'm not, but that's Capitalism. There can be a difference between what's fair, what's legal and what's ethical. Don't like it, change the system.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the OP think to ask why the price had gone up?

If it went up as a consequence of Hub’s passing, then yes, it is opportunistic raising a price to make more money. That can defined as price gouging. If you think it suddenly refers only to essential goods and services, it may be to reconsider. If there was suddenly a lack of trumpet teachers in my area and I added 20% to my lesson fee, I have no doubt that it could be seen as price gouging. Of course, you may want to ask why - it may be I was lazy and didn’t up my price to be in line with expectations or a number of years, or I wish to only teach those who are committed enough to pay a premium, or… add whatever.

Bottom line, the now silent OP seems to have missed a chance to make a clear account of what happened.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Did the OP think to ask why the price had gone up?

If it went up as a consequence of Hub’s passing, then yes, it is opportunistic raising a price to make more money. That can defined as price gouging. If you think it suddenly refers only to essential goods and services, it may be to reconsider. If there was suddenly a lack of trumpet teachers in my area and I added 20% to my lesson fee, I have no doubt that it could be seen as price gouging. Of course, you may want to ask why - it may be I was lazy and didn’t up my price to be in line with expectations or a number of years, or I wish to only teach those who are committed enough to pay a premium, or… add whatever.

Bottom line, the now silent OP seems to have missed a chance to make a clear account of what happened.

Yup, he did. In his initial post he wrote:

Kaboom wrote:
When I confronted Mike about the price change, he indicated the change was because he was having lots of inquiries on the trumpet.
Kaboom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

Let me fist start off with, I appreciate that people have their own opinion and that the Trumpet Herald community is made up by many people for different communities, states and Counties .

I noticed reading through the reply that there are a lot of people who have had great interaction with Thompson Music and some are even friends with Mike, and that is great and I hope you continue to have great interaction with Mike. Unfortunately, my interaction was not great and extremely disappointing. No different then many people have great experiences with Walmart and some not.

The other thing I noticed, is that some are trying to attach legalities to my post. In no way did I say Thompson Music was breaking the Law in the US. Their are Legal definition for Price Gouging and they are common definitions. In my opinion, I am not a lawyer, raising a price of something to make more money, based on the situation of an event, in this case someone passing away, would fit the bill. In my jurisdiction, changing a prices when someone is buying an item is illegal in itself and would come under consumer potation laws.

As some of you have noted, I was quite upset when I wrote this post it for a few reasons. The biggest was, That I have been saving up for a Van Laar trumpet for many years now as they are quite expensive. To import one into Canada with the exchange Rate, taxes and duty, a Van Laar trumpet is roughly $7000 to $10,000 depending on the model and features. In September I finally had the money to buy a used one. I have tried to buy a few in the past few months, a B3 from Trent at ACB, one located in Canada, an Orim, the B2 form Thompson Music and a few others

I know someone is going to try and call me out on my math. So here it is: $3,990 +$200 for shipping (from Jlandressbrass) USD to CAD is $5,669.70 Plus 13% tax $6,406.76 and this would not include Duty, Trumpets are not an option in the duty calculator. This would be the cost of a B series Sliver Plate. I don't know about you, but I do not have that cash just laying around. It took me awhile to save the money, and it is unfortunate that Mr. Van Laar Passed away.

So the question becomes, why am I telling you all this? From Reading the replies, I get the feeling that there are a few people on this forum are quite upset with my "Review" of my interaction with Thompson music, because it conflicts with their own experiences. I get this form people picking apart every word of my review, I wont call anyone out by Names, by call my review slander and by saying that I am just plan wrong. I have the text messages with Mike and the ad for the B2 on Reverb, but I have no reason to post those as I have provided my "Review" and people believe the situation or not. This would be no different form a review of Walmart or any other retail store. This review was from my perspective, and I am sure Mike has his perspective, Somewhere in the middle is where it all lays.

Thanks,
I will not be comment further on this post.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaboom wrote:
Hello All,

Let me fist start off with, I appreciate that people have their own opinion and that the Trumpet Herald community is made up by many people for different communities, states and Counties .

I noticed reading through the reply that there are a lot of people who have had great interaction with Thompson Music and some are even friends with Mike, and that is great and I hope you continue to have great interaction with Mike. Unfortunately, my interaction was not great and extremely disappointing. No different then many people have great experiences with Walmart and some not.

The other thing I noticed, is that some are trying to attach legalities to my post. In no way did I say Thompson Music was breaking the Law in the US. Their are Legal definition for Price Gouging and they are common definitions. In my opinion, I am not a lawyer, raising a price of something to make more money, based on the situation of an event, in this case someone passing away, would fit the bill. In my jurisdiction, changing a prices when someone is buying an item is illegal in itself and would come under consumer potation laws.

As some of you have noted, I was quite upset when I wrote this post it for a few reasons. The biggest was, That I have been saving up for a Van Laar trumpet for many years now as they are quite expensive. To import one into Canada with the exchange Rate, taxes and duty, a Van Laar trumpet is roughly $7000 to $10,000 depending on the model and features. In September I finally had the money to buy a used one. I have tried to buy a few in the past few months, a B3 from Trent at ACB, one located in Canada, an Orim, the B2 form Thompson Music and a few others

I know someone is going to try and call me out on my math. So here it is: $3,990 +$200 for shipping (from Jlandressbrass) USD to CAD is $5,669.70 Plus 13% tax $6,406.76 and this would not include Duty, Trumpets are not an option in the duty calculator. This would be the cost of a B series Sliver Plate. I don't know about you, but I do not have that cash just laying around. It took me awhile to save the money, and it is unfortunate that Mr. Van Laar Passed away.

So the question becomes, why am I telling you all this? From Reading the replies, I get the feeling that there are a few people on this forum are quite upset with my "Review" of my interaction with Thompson music, because it conflicts with their own experiences. I get this form people picking apart every word of my review, I wont call anyone out by Names, by call my review slander and by saying that I am just plan wrong. I have the text messages with Mike and the ad for the B2 on Reverb, but I have no reason to post those as I have provided my "Review" and people believe the situation or not. This would be no different form a review of Walmart or any other retail store. This review was from my perspective, and I am sure Mike has his perspective, Somewhere in the middle is where it all lays.

Thanks,

Bob reeves is also a Van Laar dealer and has a B2 and b5 in stock.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an observation - if one can justify paying over $6,000.00 for a trumpet, with all the other highly refined horns out there at a fraction of that, one had better be able to play their ever-lovin' a** off.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Just an observation - if one can justify paying over $6,000.00 for a trumpet, with all the other highly refined horns out there at a fraction of that, one had better be able to play their ever-lovin' a** off.

Keep Dreaming!

DB
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaboom wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks,

I apologize for my skepticism. You're right. I'm sorry.
puzzleheadedcow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like ABC has one in stock:

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/very-lightly-used-hub-van-laar-b5-trumpet-in-silver-plate/

I really want to find one of those Oiran trumpets they look so COOL!
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by veldkamp on Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Aaronis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little ridiculous. Prices fluctuate literally all the time. If I look to buy an instrument at xxx amount of dollars, it could easily be more at a later time. If I get a quote for a product for a specific price, that quote is generally good for 30 days, as the price may change from the quoted price.

I honestly don't know how this is even a debate(if it even is).
1955 Mt. Vernon Bach
1947 Olds Super
Holton Revelation Model 48
1964 Holton Galaxy Cornet
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...do I understand correctly? You're not happy that the price went up a few hundred $$? That's most definitely not price gouging. Think toilet paper ~March 2020. That's price gouging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: