• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thoughts on formal vs. street learning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on formal vs. street learning Reply with quote

A topic that regularly comes up here is formal vs. street education. I found the linked talk below very interesting.

This woman is a successful film scorer, but her observations are applicable to all musicians. She additionally has some thoughts about the role of social media in our education.

Anne has a BM from the Netherlands in Film Composition and has also done advanced work at UCLA, so she sees education with a good perspective. She owns her own Film Scoring Production company in L.A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGtrq9Qnx6I

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was definitely interesting. Thanks, kehaulani. She is a pretty smart young lady.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't watch the whole video, but the initial part about music theory seems to be more about HOW a composer gets 'musical ideas' for a new piece. I think the main point she is making is that having formal training and understanding music theory does not assure having the 'creativity to imagine' good new pieces.

I think she does allude to the need for training (or acquired skill) to 'flesh-out' initial musical ideas to become a fully produced score or arrangement.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
HenryJam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Thanks for the link Reply with quote

I want to say that this video is very interesting. I've found a lot of useful information for me. Thanks for sharing. The linked talk seems interesting as the speaker brings a unique perspective as a successful film scorer with both formal education (BM from the Netherlands, advanced work at UCLA) and practical experience (owns a Film Scoring Production company in L.A.). I think that it can be useful material for my college task, which I do along with https://essays.edubirdie.com/assignment-writing-service service, as it's hard for me to find all the necessary info by myself. It would be valuable to hear her thoughts on the balance between formal education and street education, as well as her insights on the role of social media in education.

Last edited by HenryJam on Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fun thought provoking subject. I always say, my degrees don't qualify me for a playing gig. If a high school prodigy plays better than me, they are getting the gig.

From a "classical" perspective, on the subject of formal higher education, I think the model needs to be examined, especially in the US. My thoughts on the matter: long story short, if you have to go into unmanageable debt to get a music education, you should rethink getting a formal education or you have to know that you are of a caliber to succeed.

I once had this debate with a Canadian colleague. He thought the US system was too relaxed with admissions and preferred the limited education spots in Canada. I fought him saying -- everybody should have a chance. But having been on faculty at places where they accept anybody with a pulse and been part of competitive music environments where people still aren't getting jobs after graduation, I think that the elitist/German system (that she references) actually does a bit of a service. They say: you have to meet these standards to get a formal music education in this country. For many that means, they will adjust course and won't get a music education. This limits the amount of non-working musicians in the country creating a higher rate of employment for musicians in general. It doesn't give everybody an opportunity but saves a lot of people a huge headache after the fact.

Is it elitist? Yes. But those that want it bad enough can seek out private/street education (edit: but usually and unfortunately they have to have the means and privilege to do so) and continue to chip away at it until they meet the threshold for entry or they can continue to chip away at it until they win a job outright. I didn't get as much money as I wanted between my MM and the next step, so I took a year off, gigged, practiced and the following year I got into 7 programs with a full ride. I had my eye on my goals.

Formal education does offer great things, free-exchange of ideas with significant amount of people (usually propelling growth and progress) as well as a network for current and future employment. But it is not the only path forward. If you are curious enough, resourceful enough, and have the right mix of talent and hard work, you can go very far for less money than the US system is currently charging. Anne-Kathrin Dern of the youtube video proves it. She was denied and then fought like hell to figure out a way.

Last edited by abontrumpet on Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I held off saying this, but I have a BM and MM in Composition (as well as a Doctorate in Conducting) and have worked in theatrical music like Anne-Kathrin, although taking a different career path.

I am not an academic and have never had a job where my advanced degrees mattered. It was only what you could do.
(caveat: there were two jobs which I needed a degree to qualify for the auditions for but after that, it only mattered what you could produce.)

I know it's popular on the internet to scoff at formal education and that one could learn the same things on their own. I leave comment on that for another day.

But for myself, I don't think I learned anything in university that wasn't to my advantage. Anything. (O.K. maybe not Texas history, LOL.) But I got my Doctorate in particular for me.

I repeat what I heard a guy say in a heated exchange years ago, "It's not what you know. It's how you use what you know".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To dig down into the pre-collegiate foundation, not so much for those who would like to go into music professionally, but for any kid who plays in a high school instrumental program:

What are the things that an instructor/band director should be required to teach students so they have an adequate command of music, whether they're a star who wants to play professionally, or an average kid who may just want to play in a community band?

I felt that I got an adequate amount of instruction on the mechanics of playing, but nothing at all about how music works. And that affected the way I felt about playing until it became an onerous chore that I eventually quit.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
What are the things that an instructor/band director should be required to teach students so they have an adequate command of music, whether they're a star who wants to play professionally, or an average kid who may just want to play in a community band?

I felt that I got an adequate amount of instruction on the mechanics of playing, but nothing at all about how music works. And that affected the way I felt about playing until it became an onerous chore that I eventually quit.

Sorry to hear that music became a chore, I hope you at least had some joyful moments.

The band director has to deal with a lot. As such, I'm not sure they are always able to give the most personal attention which means they are better off with broad strokes, instilling a love for the music, instilling love of listening, instilling a love of the "journey" of improvement.

I will not provide an exhaustive list of how to navigate music learning and making but I will offer at least one aspect that seems to get overlooked by quite a number of people. Listening! I will always take an opportunity to post one of my favorite articles (thank goodness for the wayback machine -- https://web.archive.org/web/20220703091234/https://www.dansr.com/wick/resources/preparing-to-become-a-professional-musician-part-one). But for an adequate command of music, a massive diet of listening is required. The article navigates how to listen and the time and effort required to listen.

I was given the Phil Smith orchestral excerpt CD in 7th grade. I spent probably 30 minutes a night listening to that. Then my dad took me to the "record" (cd) store and I eventually purchased all the complete works of the excerpts on the cd. And from my piano playing years I always loved the baroque which led to bach piano works, bach cello suites, and the orchestral and baroque repetoire was my exclusive listening diet from 9-12 grade. Easily over an hour a day.

Listening to greats let me become more critical when I listened back to recordings of myself (another massively important aspect of improvement) and comparing where I was to where I knew I wanted to be (thanks to listening). Too many kids I teach have NO idea what good is and how they pale in comparison to someone like Maurice Andre. They genuinely cannot tell the difference between their peers and the greats.

Listening is pretty "street" as far as education goes. But from the formal perspective, from this point, the instructor can talk about how a phrase works (using the classical repertoire - mozart) and start to illuminate the building blocks of phrasing

You asked about how music works, so that's what I focused on. Let me know if you have any questions!
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, ab. Suffice to say that, after a 39-year break, picking up the horn has become an indispensable part of my day. I'm nine years and four horns into the comeback.

I think one thing instructors can do is not to assume that kids who may very well LOVE music come from homes that have anything but a most rudimentary knowledge of it. My folks were both from poor families where taking an instrument in school was not possible, so any knowledge I would get had to come from school. I knew what a chord was, but I didn't know what notes were in them, how different chords worked together, or how one could create a riff. If it was not written on staff paper, I was lost.

The analogy I use is that a kid who progresses through high school who has been taught merely to "read music" without knowing how the notes, rests, etc. work together to form a living documennt is akin to a kid who is taught to "read English" simply by reciting the letters in words as isolated units with no connection, no way to figure out how the "words"and "sentences" were constructed.

I grew up in the heart of the rock era. If any instructor had said "Hey! How about Smoke On The Water? Know what that is? It's a minor blues!" I might have had more incentive to dig into the instrument more. Triple-tonguing Arban day after day? Yeah, sure, good mechanics. But feeding a love of music? Nah.

I guess I just ideally would like every program to find a way to light a fire under any kid for whom the tinder is already there, and then they can take it as far formally or "on the street" as they wish with a solid grounding.

At least I was able to teach my kid how to play John Lee Hooker's Boom Boom on the French horn. I considered it one of the triumphs of parenting.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
The analogy I use is that a kid who progresses through high school who has been taught merely to "read music" without knowing how the notes, rests, etc. work together to form a living documennt is akin to a kid who is taught to "read English" simply by reciting the letters in words as isolated units with no connection, no way to figure out how the "words"and "sentences" were constructed.

Babies learn language well before schooling and are then taught "the rules" later. We learn how to speak out of the necessity of needing to communicate and are then expected to improvise communicational solos for the rest of our lives. We are taught grammar and expected to read lots of literary compositions so that we might learn how to improve our verbal improvisations and write our own compositions.

Music is a language, but unique in our educational system in that a performance is expected. If every sixth-grade student studying Spanish or French was expected to participate in a mass dramatic reading -- and the parents felt comfortable criticizing individual students for their performance -- do you think the teacher would be concentrating on language comprehension, grammar, and vocabulary, or simply "reciting the letters in words as isolated units with no connection"?

My sympathy is with the band director here. He or she is most likely facing impossible expectations.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that the 10th-graders in my band were taught no more deeply than the 6th-graders, other than being expected to play the unconnected units faster and to pay more attention to the pp's and ff's.

I also had a 40-minute small group lesson once a week in which nothing but Arban was used or talked about.

And I don't consider that adequate instruction from the distance of 50 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: