• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece for Eb/D trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece for Eb/D trumpet? Reply with quote

I'm about to pull the pin on a Schilke E3 Eb/D trumpet and I'm curious as to what size mouthpiece I would use on it.

On my Bb & C trumpets, I use the same Taylor ML. The equivalent Bach would be a 2C, maybe?

Do people generally play on a smaller size mouthpiece on a higher trumpet?
Cornet: ‘84 Bach Strad 184 Shepherd’s Crook
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece for Eb/D trumpet? Reply with quote

NordicNorm wrote:
I'm about to pull the pin on a Schilke E3 Eb/D trumpet and I'm curious as to what size mouthpiece I would use on it.

On my Bb & C trumpets, I use the same Taylor ML. The equivalent Bach would be a 2C, maybe?

Do people generally play on a smaller size mouthpiece on a higher trumpet?

It varies from player to player. I'm performing a premiere of a requiem this week, written by a local composer, and I'm using my 4v B&S Eb (w/a Bach 239G bell) on most of it, and my Schilke 4v E (bell of the E/F/G) tpt on one mvt. (That mvt is in E major, and I rarely get to play the E side of the horn.)

I went back and forth between 3-4 different mpcs from a 1.25C (ACB MV version) to about a 3B size (Bush mpc). The largest one seems to work the best...so far. I'll know for sure at the dress reh with choir on Thursday. The orch hired includes: 3 horns, 1 tpt, harp, and stgs: 54431. The church is very reverberant...about a 6-second hang time with no audience. We had a run-through about 10 days ago. All of this can matter in selecting equipment, I believe.

He originally wrote it for a larger orch, but in saving $$, he scaled it back to one tpt, which means making some adjustment in equipment...for me. It's not really high, but with the orchestration the way it is, these two insts seem to work best but only with the larger 1.25C size mpc. You may find yourself doing something similar if you ever want your Eb to sound closer to a C tpt for a larger orchestra setting, or you may want something lighter in sound in a chamber setting, which is, I think, a good reason to practice with a "range" of mpc sizes to be prepared.

Charlie Geyer mentions in an interview on YouTube (look for "Trumpet Jerks") that he would occasionally try to look over at what mpc Bud Herseth was playing on certain repertoire, but Bud would cover his mpc, so that he couldn't see! I figure it was a way of saying, "Find what works for you!"
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience with Ebs, the best thing to do (after perhaps following some recommendations here) would be to pull out your box of mouthpieces and see what one "lights up" the horn.

Acoustically the mouthpiece is a part of the trumpet and sometimes it's a crap shoot to find one that really makes the horn sing
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do pretty well using the same mouthpiece as I use on my C trumpet, namely, either a Curry BC (slightly deep cup, light blank, big "Schmidt" backbore) or a Stomvi CVR (similar specs).

The last few times I used it was to play 3rd on Bach cantatas. If I were trying to match timbre with the first and second parts (both being played on piccs) I would have tried something else (or just played picc myself), but mostly I was in more of a "principale" role with timpani where a slightly heavier sound was OK.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I’m playing a bunch of sitting on top of the staff Gs or higher on my Eb, I have to go to a smaller rim and depth for efficiency sake.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always used the mouthpiece that came along with the horn - a H. Selmer 2D
I´ve tried others; however not finding anyone making my efforts more easy.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the repertoire is extreme, I use the same mouthpiece for everything between Bb and picc. That's always my starting point. Then if I don't feel like I'm getting exactly what I want, I experiment. For example, I played a Messiah in December where I wanted my picc sound to be really light and bright. For that I ended up using a mouthpiece that was slight narrower and shallower than my regular. I also use a slightly tighter backbore.
As background information, I play on a 0.650 rim so it's not like I'm trying to play high trumpets on a 1C.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much I use a different mouthpiece for every instrument. With Curry mouthpieces if you stay with the same rim size (3 for me) the rim is consistent from piece to piece (deep to shallow cups, and various backbones)

I believe to get the most out of each instrument the mouthpiece has to match. From a Bb to an Eb trumpet there are significant differences in the length of the trumpet, bore size/shape, bell shape, etc. Using the same mouthpiece can't logically be "ideal" for both.

In general my preferred pieces get shallower with the shorter instruments.
I have a large bore Bach D/Eb that has a C trumpet bell on it (189 239). Most of the time I use a 3C, 25 throat. This then feels very similar to my C trumpet, but to truly get an "Eb" sound I move to a little lighter design (Curry 3C-S)

Even with my 2 Bach Bb's I use different pieces; different models and used for different settings.
Bach 19037 (50th Anniversary) - Curry 3C or 3B (occasionally)
Bach L1901B (commercial) - Curry 3*(star)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a plain old 3C (27 throat) on Eb trumpet. FWIW I use a Pickett 1.5C on Bb/C (24 throat) and a Jens Pic mouthpiece (around a Pickett 9 rim I think) on piccolo. Every time I play a different Eb trumpet, I mess around with mouthpieces to find something that slots well and and has the right sound. I generally come back to something in the 3C range.

Of course, like with any other horn, mouthpiece choice is very personal so I'd recommend trying some different things until you feel like you're really dialed in. I know plenty of players that play the same rim as on their Bb and C and sound terrific, but that just never got the correct sound for me when I tried it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: