• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1-3 Minute Unaccompanied Solo for Orchestra Audition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skepticalasian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: 1-3 Minute Unaccompanied Solo for Orchestra Audition Reply with quote

I am slowly making a return to orchestral playing over the next year or so and have a quick audition question for you guys.

I am hoping to audition for one of the many community orchestras in my area (Chicagoland) and I am comfortable with the standard excerpts one would commonly encounter, but I am seeing some auditions request a short piece of my choosing in lieu of a specified trumpet solo work.

What kind of thing should I prepare for that part of the audition? Gut reaction was something like a Charlier but wondering if there is a set of standard/expected unaccompanied pieces when a specific solo work isn't specified.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
CTrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great unaccompanied piece to use would be Otto Ketting's "Intrada". Depending on interpretation, it's around 3-4 minutes in length. I think it's the perfect piece to display our trumpet skills (lyrical playing, varied articulation, range, etc). Best of luck!
skepticalasian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great suggestion, wouldn't have gotten there on my own. Thank you!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to check with the community orchestras and ask them the question.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
skepticalasian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kehaulani"]You need to check with the community orchestras and ask [i]them[/i] the question.[/quote]

Most of the audition coordinators are not trumpet players, and they've basically just given a canned response of "something that shows off multiple styles of playing"

In one case, the excerpts are more technical or heavy, so I was thinking in that case I would look for something more lyrical. Just trying to get some suggestions to help show that I am a (relatively) complete player.
Bachatit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Bachatit on Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bachatit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I request players auditioning for our orchestra play two contrasting etudes, one emphasizing technique and the other with emphasis on lyric playing. Standard excerpts are great but have limited value for a community orchestra (in my 10 years with the group, we've not played any major big orchestral piece). I might suggest coming to the audition likewise prepared with copies of the piece (s) to give to the panel. Ask them which one they would like to hear or if they prefer both in part or in full. I like your idea of playing an etude/piece that contrasts with required excerpts. Good luck!
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Ketting. It's a very musical and effective piece and covers both lyrical and technical aspects of the horn. Hard to go wrong with this one.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince.Green wrote:
Another vote for the Ketting. It's a very musical and effective piece and covers both lyrical and technical aspects of the horn. Hard to go wrong with this one.

A1+, this is a good solo piece. I did it for my grad audition and recently in the trumpet studio. It’s a fun piece too once you get it down.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: