• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fluffy sound some days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewKennedyMusic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Fluffy sound some days Reply with quote

Hi guys, have been back playing trumpet for about a year after a 20 year layoff.

Anyway, I’ve noticed that some days, probably every second day actually, I’ve got no attack on my notes. I just get a fluffy soft attack like “FAA FAA FAA” rather than “BAA BAA BAA”. What could be the cause of this and what would I do to get more consistently?
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to Trumpet!

Unfortunately there are quite a number of factors that lead to fluffy soft attacks. But let's assume that you: are putting the mouthpiece in the same place everyday, you are not swollen, you are not damaged from previous days playing, you are well rested, you are well hydrated, you have the right mindset, and you are blowing the same way everyday. Lots to assume (and some answers may lie in that list).

Ultimately, your mind, tongue, air and chops work together to create that clear attack. Your mind has to know exactly the note you are about to play, the color, the quality. You chops have to be in the right position to achieve that note. Your air has to be right for the note and your tongue should not get in the way and can actually facilitate some things.

What are some things an internet stranger can tell you that will help you and not do too much harm? If you are keeping the sound you want in your mind, you can experiment with any of the parameters listed above and see if it gets better or worse. Without an instructor, a lot of self-learning is quite a bit of trial and error. Hopefully that gives you some ideas of where to start. Feel free to ask any specific questions as you experiment!

As far as consistency, most people get this backwards. It is not the number of "right attempts" that breeds consistency, it is rather consistency of approach. If you play the same way every day, you will eventually get good at the way you play. So be sure of HOW you play and then WHAT you play will have a fighting chance of becoming consistent.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have some inconsistency in how you prepare embouchure and air - sometimes it's good, but other times slightly off.

In addition to the info from abontrummpet, I suggest practicing 'air attacks' NO tonguing to start the sound. Do it slowly with notes in your easy playing range. The goal is to get a good (non fuzzy) sound immediately, and to be able to maintain it for a few beats.

The purpose of the exercise is to learn the coordinated embouchure and air activities to produce the note/pitch. Learn and remember what is needed for each note.

Tonguing should only be the 'switch' for more crisp attacks - it shouldn't be needed to establish the embouchure and air.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But let's assume that you: are putting the mouthpiece in the same place everyday, you are not swollen, you are not damaged from previous days playing

Actually, that's exactly what it sounds like is happening.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be getting a bit "muscle bound". Take more time to warm up - I don't mean warm up more - take more time at it. A few seconds of mouthpiece buzzing then flexibility exercises for a minute or so - then stop and do something else for an hour or so.

I can't explain it but it seems the second time around things go better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: