• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece buzzing, what say you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Learson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
Andy Del wrote:

For all the noise of the very invested in disproving and ranting against [anything they don’t agree with] there are many many players who do engage in the exercise.

Know why? It works for them and they can’t be bothered protylising to the masses. I think of so many great players I know, and they ALL buzz on their mouthpiece. Some more than others, as they do what works for them.

There it is - this hits the nail on the head. I understand the arguments against buzzing, but the sizeable majority of the best players I know do it regularly, and advocate for it unhesitatingly. That tells me everything I need to know. Yes, it can be overdone, or done badly, or done aimlessly, but that's also true of every other practice technique, on the trumpet or off.

That's an interesting insight.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always an interesting topic. I do a very small amount of mouthpiece buzzing. Doc Severinsen has said that he buzzes on the mouthpiece until he finds the right sound before ever picking up his horn. John Daniel has an excellent chapter on mouthpiece buzzing in his book.
I leave it to personal taste.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrumpeter wrote:
Buzzing is a controversial topic, one that is very divisive, and has ruined many a great friendship on TH

I've gone back and forth over the years on whether or not I like it, but I've accepted that it has merit. One of the best resources I've used is the Sachs Daily Fundamentals for Trumpet book. To quote Mr. Sachs, "Buzzing on the lips alone or with the mouthpiece strips tone production concepts to their basic core. However, if overdone or incorrectly applied, buzzing has the potential to produce stiffness and become counter-productive. When done properly, a little goes a long way." - buzzing softly and aiming for a very pure and controlled sound is the way to go. A great example of really high-quality buzzing is this Dave Bilger video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG-bM25GBps

I think that most people buzz too loudly on the lips or mouthpiece (and often for far too long) to sweep their production issues under the rug, so when we eventually find that we are stiff and have experienced negative repercussions, we blame buzzing entirely rather than our approach. I think the same goes for approaching the James Stamp book - how often have you heard a trumpet player blasting the crap out of those warmups? I used to not like the Stamp book, turns out I was falling into the meathead tribe and approaching it wrong.

Great post. Paraphrasing my Stamp-trained teacher, buzzing is like medicine, a little can cure but a lot can kill.

I was advised to buzz the lips and the mouthpiece but not for very long at all. And mouthpiece buzzing should always be low in volume and with an airy quality to it. Even then if it doesn't result in improvement over time, leave it out.

I certainly do hear far too many players blasting their buzzing exercises or pedal tones in ways I'm pretty sure are counterproductive.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say no. Others say yes. I haven't found it to be super-effective for me. But yes, the Stamp studies do have a strong case for it.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that the resistance of the mouthpiece alone is very different from the resistance of the mouthpiece + trumpet.
Therefore, your embouchure will not be the same for both.
Therefore, you are building two different muscle memories. Maybe that is not good.

You would need to add tension somewhere, to compensate for the lost resistance of the horn. So you are intentionally teaching yourself to play with detrimental tension.

However, if you are unable to blow "sirens", that may be an indication that your embouchure or technique has problems.
So I tell my middle school kids, you should only practice sirens if you cannot do them. Once you can do them, just play the horn.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two magnificent trumpet players advocated mouthpiece buzzing: James Thompson and Bud Herseth.

However, Herseth advocated doing no drills on it, but to play tunes. He also that believed doing an occasional practice session on the mouthpiece alone could be beneficial. Herseth always carried his mouthpiece in his pocket and for the fun of it, would sometimes "serenade" his foursome while on the golf course.

Jim Thompson wrote a book called Buzzing Basics that came with a CD. I have used both methods. I do prefer to play songs on the mouthpiece alone, but just as a warm-up before putting it in the horn. I do not do that every day, but when I hear things in my sound I do not like, playing a simple song on the mouthpiece seems to correct things quickly.

In high school, I was taught the proper way(s) to use the mouthpiece.

R. Tomasek
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
My experience is that the resistance of the mouthpiece alone is very different from the resistance of the mouthpiece + trumpet.
Therefore, your embouchure will not be the same for both.
Therefore, you are building two different muscle memories. Maybe that is not good.

You would need to add tension somewhere, to compensate for the lost resistance of the horn. So you are intentionally teaching yourself to play with detrimental tension.

However, if you are unable to blow "sirens", that may be an indication that your embouchure or technique has problems.
So I tell my middle school kids, you should only practice sirens if you cannot do them. Once you can do them, just play the horn.

Since you are an educator by trade, may I ask you to consider a few assumptions I see in your text above?

First, you seem to say that resistance establishes the embouchure a player uses. How then was it that I have been able to completely change my technique and approach concerning the muscles I now use in comparison to what I learned in elementary school. I successfully made this change using the same trumpet and mouthpiece.

Secondly, you state that this difference in resistance necessitates a different use of muscles. Could we not also say that applying the same muscle mechanics to this different resistance tube will produce different results in terms of pitch and tone quality? Is it not then possible to accept these differences and discover specific consistencies that may transfer to the full instrument?

Thirdly, you state that using two resistance systems builds separate and distinct muscle memory systems. It seems to me that you are missing the purpose of isolating specific aspects of the complex act we call “embouchure,” in order to bring those factors to mind and improve them.

Isn’t this your goal as a teacher? Don’t you, in your day to day, observe, analyze, isolate and alter what your students are doing so that they may improve? Of course! The student doesn’t know what the teacher knows, doesn’t believe what the teacher believes, because they have yet to experience what gave the teacher that different perspective.

If you have yet to experience the benefits of the exercises this thread discusses, perhaps it’s a matter of the lack of an effective demonstration of those techniques, or a set of assumptions that have created a barrier to learning them?

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original context was in regard to a trumpet newbie, the OP. I advise against insisting that the student buzz the mouthpiece ONLY as the introduction to the instrument. Specifically for beginners, and as a developmental exercise for new players that have not developed the skill of even a reasonably good tone.

Beginners have significant difficulty recognizing and exploiting the acoustic resonance of the FULL instrument. They have NO established precedent, skill, or habits in regard to playing the instrument. They may have a pre-conceived idea based on what they have seen, of players using great effort to belt-out tones that are usually loud or high. The major obstacle is the beginner's tendency to over-clamp and contort the lips using excessive embouchure effort along with use of excessive blowing effort. Buzzing, mp or free, for a beginner encourages BOTH of those actions.

A beginner can barely recognize or feel the instrument resonance, much less the tiny resonance in the mp. If they are taught to forcibly buzz the mouthpiece, they will forcibly "buzz" the instrument.

Regarding resistance.

It's not simply flow "resistance" that the full instrument offers. The actual flow resistance of the mouthpiece vs the full instrument is dominated by the mouthpiece throat and is not that much different for either case with only slightly more for the full instrument. Adding the resistance of the lip aperture which is also present in both cases. So, the total air flow resistance of each case is not terribly different. But air power applied to a resonant tone introduces the resistance of the acoustic impedance which is very significant. The air power is then applied to tone which, for the same blowing effort does a cascade of things: It increases the total resistance and therefore reduces the air flow. This reduces the viscous flow air power losses through the aperture in particular and through the mp throat. The mp throat now becomes a more significant contributor in an acoustic sense, rather than just a simple flow resistance alone. The air power is applied to the tonal power and not just the air power losses through the high-flow aperture.

There IS an approach that encourages a student to exploit and recognize the instrument acoustics AND gives them a far better chance of producing a nice tone with less effort WHILE realizing the resonance of the instrument. It puts them on a trajectory of more immediate and long-term success and productive habits. It involves playing the FULL instrument.

Buzzing for advance players is yet another thing. It ranges from those who do it poorly purely out of habit and in such a way that it is a deterrent. (e.g. "Walk-ins", CRINGE!)

I do some particular mouthpiece work that undeniably helps, with sometimes very good results. It is a very passive approach effort-wise that explores the TINY bit of resonance that the mouthpiece does have. AND as calisthenic, on occasion I will extend a Caruso exercise by "playing" them on the mouthpiece.

One should never buzz anything. Always "PLAY" it.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
The original context was in regard to a trumpet newbie, the OP.

One should never buzz anything. Always "PLAY" it.

I certainly agree with your last statement. And I cannot say anything about your discussion concerning beginning players, because I don't think I was taught to "buzz" my lips or mouthpiece at the beginning. It was 50 years ago, so I cannot recall accurately, one way or another.

What I can comment on is that learning on the full horn does not necessarily ensure proper technique, either. I started playing trumpet in the 5th grade and played through 3 years of college. I was good enough to elicit compliments from players from other bands and from my music theory professor who was a Juilliard graduated concert pianist. Still, my technique was so painful that I decided to quit playing rather than continue cutting the inside of my upper lip and continue developing a hernia. Both of these conditions were brought on by following the basic instruction of the band teacher that taught me to play.

When I finally decided that there had to be a better paradigm to playing the trumpet, I discovered the method described by Roy Poper in a book that I purchased and was best explained by Clint "Pops" McLaughlin on his website, i.e. the compression embouchure. Coincidently, Pops advocates both lip and mouthpiece buzzing within the parameters of the technique he teaches.

In fact, I remember hearing a tale of a very well known trumpet (cornet?) teacher who started his students by teaching them to free buzz the lips. Then, he would add in the mouthpiece. Only when the student had progressively achieved satisfactory success with those two skills would this teacher introduce the horn into the equation. Sadly, I don't remember who this was, just that I was surprised that such a well respected and well known teacher would utilize this process.

Perhaps, it's a matter of the teacher as well as the Indian with the arrow.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
That was Mendez who did that with his beginning students.
R. Tomasek
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpiece buzzing: Do It!

An amazing teacher that I once had always reminded me: "If you cannot buzz it, you cannot play it."

I recall a Bobby Shew seminar wherein he said that the mouthpiece IS the instrument and the trumpet merely resonates what happens between you and the mouthpiece.

In terms of physics, our lips must vibrate sympathetically with the standing wave vibrating in the air column between the mouthpiece and bell to sustain a tone.

However, the initial characteristics and qualities of that wave begin within us (air pressure and oral cavity shape), and our face muscles control how we control and release that air pressure and the tonality created by how we shape our oral cavity.

Strong embouchure muscles come from working out those muscles by playing, buzzing, and using strengthening devices like Warburton PETE.

I cannot comprehend why anyone would not want to strengthen their embouchure without the trumpet through mouthpiece buzzing, free buzzing, and a PETE device. I theorize that those who do not strengthen their embouchures away from the trumpet often end up pressing and having playing problems due to inherently weak embouchure muscles.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There have been many threads here on buzzing that become long and useless and a waste of time reading. Nothing gets settled."
George

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recall a Bobby Shew seminar wherein he said that the mouthpiece IS the instrument and the trumpet merely resonates what happens between you and the mouthpiece.
A cute anecdote. But false. A trumpet with a mouthpiece inserted is THE instrument. The fact that they separate into two parts is purely arbitrary and convenient.

The trumpet not only resonates, it also transmits. Forcing a repeating air impulse into a mouthpiece does not produce a pleasing tone when the trumpet is added.

Quote:
In terms of physics, our lips must vibrate sympathetically with the standing wave vibrating in the air column between the mouthpiece and bell to sustain a tone.
Correct. And removing the trumpet from the mouthpiece sustains no standing wave and the tone stops.

Quote:
Strong embouchure muscles come from working out those muscles by playing, buzzing, and using strengthening devices like Warburton PETE.
These can absolutely be useful for strengthening the embouchure, especially since more effort is required to play the equivalent tones on the mouthpiece alone. It's like training physically by running with ankle weights or swinging a baseball bat with a weight "donut".

Quote:
However, the initial characteristics and qualities of that wave begin within us (air pressure and oral cavity shape),
I would say embouchure posture for pitch and air pressure for dynamics. The oral shape is irrelevant acoustically. Many pay attention to the mouth and tongue posture, and for good reason, as it is useful for controlling the embouchure state. The popular metaphorical claims of air-speed and oral resonance by the oral shape are simply that, metaphors. If you literally believe those things, and it helps you perform, then knock yourself out.
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think of so many great players I know, and they ALL buzz on their mouthpiece

All, it seems to me an exaggeration, although if you're referring to the limited world of symphony orchestras, that's probably true. But that's due to the enormous influence of Herseth and the Chicago school in that environment.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Mouthpiece buzzing (plus free buzzing, floppy buzzing, leadpipe buzzing, after market toy buzzing etc) are means to an end. That’s it.

What end do you think it's a means to?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall sitting in the lobby of Chicago’s Blackstone Hotel waiting for the door to the Jazz Showcase to be opened. Art Farmer walked by and he was buzzing as he walked. I decided then and there if it was good for him it would be good for me, too.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the various sides to this argument are stated in this thread, already, but I'd like to know this:

Are there any readers who believe, or have heard taught, that the activity of mouthpiece buzzing is identical for them/others as actually playing the instrument? I'd be curious to know if things are that extreme somewhere.

Personally, I have tried, and in some cases continue to use, all kinds of aids and approaches to help me become a better trumpet player. I'd say those "aids/approaches" are less than 5% of my time with the instrument, though. I recently viewed, and have been using fairly regularly, some Wim Hof breathing techniques and embouchure "tweaks" that I've seen/heard Tom Hooten discuss in some of his YouTube videos. This past fall, I received a Stomvi Upsound* with a used horn purchase, and it does provide a very similar resistance and sensation to playing the horn but without locking you into notes/harmonics we get in playing the instrument. I now use it to get my day started and find it very useful. It's pricey to purchase, I know, so you might ask if I would have bought one outright after spending time, say, at a trade show? Not sure. I spend so little time on it, I know I could do without, especially since I did without for years. I'd say if you have the extra $$, then buy one. I do believe it is tons better than regular mouthpiece buzzing, because it does approximate the resistance and feel of playing the entire system of tpt & mpc.

One caveat: Be sure to watch the video on the Stomvi, USA, website entitled “Usage Tips (Includes how to clear the resistance). This shows you how to "empty" the device from built-up condensation in the porous, ceramic-like (my wording) “membrane" filter that creates the main part of the resistance. It is frustrating at first if all of the sudden you can barely get a sound to come out, and then you spend time doing searches all over the Internet, trying to figure out what is wrong! Ha! All you have to do is remove your mpc and separate the mpc "receiver" section from the bottom/resonator part of the device. I like leaving the bottom/resonator loosely "cupped" over the end of the filter, so that droplets of condensation don’t go everywhere. Then you start blowing fairly vigorously through it to blow out most of the moisture. That's it. Takes less than five seconds, and you’re back up and running.

*This was not an advertisement and was certainly NOT paid for by the originators of the Upsound...unfortunately.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
...One caveat: Be sure to watch the video on the Stomvi, USA, website entitled “Usage Tips (Includes how to clear the resistance). This shows you how to "empty" the device from built-up condensation in the porous, ceramic-like (my wording) “membrane" filter that creates the main part of the resistance. It is frustrating at first if all of the sudden you can barely get a sound to come out, and then you spend time doing searches all over the Internet, trying to figure out what is wrong! Ha! All you have to do is remove your mpc and separate the mpc "receiver" section from the bottom/resonator part of the device. I like leaving the bottom/resonator loosely "cupped" over the end of the filter, so that droplets of condensation don’t go everywhere. Then you start blowing fairly vigorously through it to blow out most of the moisture. That's it. Takes less than five seconds, and you’re back up and running....

I'm not sure my description is entirely clear, so watch the video on the Stomvi-USA website on how to clear the condensation build-up.
richardpeck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: To each his own Reply with quote

Lots of different comments, and different takes on buzzing. For me, Buzzing without mouthpiece to loosen up - time varies on how strenuous the day before was in playing! - and then 5-10 minutes of mouthpiece buzzing seemed to help me in centering the sound. So much of it is mental and routine dependent.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne Bergeron on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzB7r9C_LrU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: