• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rap isn't "music"... But could it help repopulariz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

furcifer wrote:
As the previous examples show, jazz is impervious, fundamental and transcendent to many styles. Rock, blues, pop, R&B and even rap are essentially "excerpts" from jazz.

Did you just say that blues is "'excerpts' from jazz?" Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I'd love to hear more on this when you get a chance.

Also, what death metal bands are you into?

One more thing...allow me to apologize for my snarky post about the wall of text. It seemed a shame to put that much thought into a post and to not hit the enter key a few times (I realize now your tablet apparently made this difficult to format).

Last edited by Fuzzy Dunlop on Fri May 29, 2015 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every tablet I've handled allows you to hit "return" once in a while. It really makes it easier to read.

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not being a fan i don't know how much of the content is one thing or how much is the other.
i heard a couple of black rappers one time going on in verse (?) about radical politics i.e. the overall conspiracy of the rich over everyone else, globalism, bankers, world trade building issues, that sort of thing. it was the greatest thing i had ever heard, eye opening and hugely entertaining. mostly it was the novelty of street type black people talking about issues you don't hear out of the group. it had large social value although there is no danger of black or other americans coming to consciousness anytime soon. don't think that son, only kooks go on like that. mostly it was my wish that the entire group rise up against those who are really the ones oppressing them and for that matter the whites they live among. again not much danger of cohesive social action by any group.
then of the little bit i've heard, glorification of the street drug scene which has no redeeming value including the proceeds which are dirty money and not destined to spend well. you are better with small means than pimping around in some outlandish vehicle. being involved in the trade is a street issue, why someone would wish to hear the story as entertainment is as revolting. playing music describing destabilized violence around your children has as little cheer.
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some more of my friend's in Chicago. If you don't like them, you're wrong.

Link

Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and feedback everyone!

@falado-sure, you can use the video :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the famous line that Wynton said about Rap music years ago? "Rap is just cursing to a rhythm track." Not sure--something like that.

http://www.xxlmag.com/xxl-magazine/2007/05/jazz-legend-wynton-marsalis-calls-out-50-cent-and-ludacris/

I wonder if he still stands by that today, or if he's "evolved" in his thinking like others have done about previously held positions.
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynton's anti Hip Hop stance is still the same.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, got some great stuff from bamajazzlady too. Thank you both.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave!
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
willy66

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rap isn't "music"... But could it help repopul Reply with quote

jazzman99 wrote:
I'm well aware that I've probably opened up a couple cans of worms with this thread, but here goes....
I think that I'm not alone in saying that "Rap isn't music." (Maybe by definition) But it's popular. More popular than jazz. Why? It's a mixture of things right? These "Hippster" kids like the lyrics that a large sum of rap songs seem to agree on: "Smokin weed and... gettin gurls..." Something to that extent.
I'm aware that a lot of what I've just said and will say is going to sound ignorant.

It probably also has something to do with the bass lines and drums, right? (Seems ignorant sounding, huh?)
All of us have heard some car 23 blocks away cranking the bass line to rap at some point in time. Some people really like that bass...
There's also the kids who think that they're "Thugs and love the thug life." and all that buncha horse haucky. While wearing their bandana or durag they got from this website. That helps with popularity

Bear with me, I'm getting to my point now... or soon enough...

People think jazz and think "EW." I've been around people who say they hate jazz, listen to some of it without knowing it's actually jazz, and they LOVE it. With that being said, I'm sure the same applies to rap also, but can rap help repopularize jazz? If some brilliant composer were to "borrow" a rap bass line and put it into some jazz charts that he/she composes, I think it could really help bring jazz back, especially funk.

Am I just crazy, or do you guys think that this could be the start of something?

It's understandable that you may not find Rap to be "music" by definition, and it's true that it is more popular than jazz. However, I don't necessarily think that it's fair to say it's popular because of the lyrics. Sure, many rap songs can have lyrics that discuss topics such as smoking weed and getting girls, but there's so much more to the genre than that. Rap is often a way for artists to express themselves, their stories, and many other emotions. The bass lines and drums are also a major part of the genre, and they have a huge impact on why people like it.

Many people may think jazz is "ew," but when they actually listen to it they may change their minds. Similarly, rap can also help repopularize jazz, as long as the composer borrows elements from rap and incorporates them into jazz charts in a tasteful and respectful way. Jazz and rap may seem like two very different genres, but they can be blended together in interesting ways.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rap is only missing the C in front of it-it's a cancer-it's disgusting, stupid, crude, vulgar, worthless-and insulting to anyone with intelligence above that of a cockroach...then again, so is Grunge Metal...equally as destructive. Real music IS out there though...sometimes ya gotta be an archeologist and dig for it...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody actually resurrected this?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm old and opinionated. That said, there are forms of music that I simply
prefer not to listen to. As an example, I will simply leave the room rather than listen to Bette Midler. This is exactly the way I feel about rap.
I am definitely NOT saying that it "isn't music". I just don't like it.
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I real meeting of the minds here on TH huh?

Y'all are goofy.
Bach 183 Flugelhorn
Bach LB 229 Eb/D Long Bell
Bach 184 Cornet
Kanstul 920
LadFree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill: Very nice stuff.Especially enjoyed your work with the Harmon on the first tune;
Actually met you one time; You were touring with the Santana band,and after a concert in Poughkeepsie I was playing with a salsa band at the after concert reception down the street from where you played(Bardavon);
Didnt catch the Santana set,but I know thats gotta be pretty loud!!
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oof 🤦‍♂️
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My musical tastes are 100% objective and complete and anyone who disagrees with them is axiomatically wrong!"

- people who are cranks
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes, the ol (insert example of something that's definitely music) isn't music // "here's my opinion on a genre i truly don't know much of anything about" post.

also ps: jazz is popular, maybe y'all just don't go out & support local artists very often.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: willy66 Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Somebody actually resurrected this?

A first post by who I assume to be a brand-new member. Dug back deep, nearly eight years. I'm almost impressed. Whoever willy66 is, they took the time to look through the archives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: