• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opinions on Monette C trumpets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogzstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Opinions on Monette C trumpets? Reply with quote

What are your opinions on Monette C trumpets, especially older C993 models? How do they compare with "traditional" C trumpets? Are they generally "rounder/darker" sounding and/or do they follow known characteristics of C trumpets -more controlled/safer/brighter etc.? And lastly, would you consider a C993 as your "main" horn for jazz solo work, or it will be always a "speciality" horn?

I have the opportunity to buy a C993 for a very reasonable price second hand. I don't need another Bb trumpet (I have a Taylor and Van Laar Oiram) but I can justify buying a Monette C, IF it's suitable for jazz solo work. I am not a purist at all and have no problems bringing a C trumpet to a jazz gig, and actually I think I can benefit from a brighter horn as both of my Bb horns are on the darker side. I won't have any use for it other than jazz solo work though, maybe some Latin and experimental stuff up and then, -but never orchestra work. I know that many people here find it weird to play jazz on a C horn, but I guess Marsalis is playing a Monette C cornet, -well a C cornet should be a different animal than a C trumpet.

Overall, I find it exciting to broaden my sound palette and to own a Monette. It is considerably cheap but I could invest that money to upgrade my flügelhorn and I would still have some money left to get a nice cornet, -a used Adams F1 plus Adams CN1 is cheaper than the Monette C993 but let's say money is no issue here, I just need your help to understand what I could expect from a C993 as I have no chance to play it.
Eclipse Flügelhorn (under construction!)
Martin Imperial Trombone 50s
Monette STC3 C1-2FL Prana, STC1 BL2, STC3 B4FL Prana & Taylor mouthpieces
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a brighter Bb? The Van Laar Chuck Findley model would qualify, as well as the B1 and B2. For bright C trumpets the standard Schilke (C6 C7 C2 C3 C5) would fill that bill. But if you have played the Monette and love it, go for it.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My high school teacher had an early Monette C trumpet (made sometime in the early 90s or before). He used it more to play out of Real Books in C than for any classical work That being said, the horn had a bit of a split personality: with the right mouthpiece and playing technique, it could sound quite like a traditional C trumpet, and I borrowed it to record a few pieces for college admissions purposes. But with other mouthpieces and playing styles, it could sound just as fluffy and warm as Wynton playing a ballad. I would argue the horn was more suited for jazz than for classical, to be honest. I would easily say it's one of the best horns I ever played, maybe even the very best, though I recognize all such statements are subjective and I've only played a fraction of the horns that many others on this board have.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago while at Dillon's, I played a very early (Chicago) Monette C. It played well, was in tune, and the sound was unique. My experience with playing in a section with someone who is playing a Monette Bb is that the Monette just doesn't blend well with more "traditional" horns.. My guess is that in a section of Monettes, it would work much better. If you have a chance to try the Monette C and seem to like it, I would suggest, if at all possible, to try it out in a section first before making a decision to purchase.
dogzstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
That being said, the horn had a bit of a split personality: with the right mouthpiece and playing technique, it could sound quite like a traditional C trumpet, but with other mouthpieces and playing styles, it could sound just as fluffy and warm as Wynton playing a ballad. I would argue the horn was more suited for jazz than for classical, to be honest. I would easily say it's one of the best horns I ever played

This! If the C993 (or any Monette C) has also this "split" personality, I would definitely prefer it to a brighter Bb horn.

I wish I could test the horn, but impossible.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogzstar wrote:
That being said, the horn had a bit of a split personality: with the right mouthpiece and playing technique, it could sound quite like a traditional C trumpet, but with other mouthpieces and playing styles, it could sound just as fluffy and warm as Wynton playing a ballad. I would argue the horn was more suited for jazz than for classical, to be honest. I would easily say it's one of the best horns I ever played

This! If the C993 (or any Monette C) has also this "split" personality, I would definitely prefer it to a brighter Bb horn.

I wish I could test the horn, but impossible.

You'll make your own choice, of course, but if it were me I would buy it immediately. It's a fabulous horn. Did a Google Image search on C993 since I wasn't paying attention to trumpet naming systems back in the day; it is the model my teacher had. Combine it with a deeper mouthpiece - I used a Monette C11 (pre-Prana) - and it will just sound like honey all day long.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
dogzstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll make your own choice, of course, but if it were me I would buy it immediately. It's a fabulous horn. Did a Google Image search on C993 since I wasn't paying attention to trumpet naming systems back in the day; it is the model my teacher had. Combine it with a deeper mouthpiece - I used a Monette C11 (pre-Prana) - and it will just sound like honey all day long.

Thanks for the tip, I bought the horn! I will write a review when I receive it!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz on your new purchase . Looking forward to that review.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogzstar wrote:

Congratulations! I hope it everything I remember it to be Aside from the lingering taste of coffee, with which my teacher's was permanently infused...
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I had the opportunity to try a Monette C trumpet, I had rehearsels with a symphonic orchestra, the guy besides me had one.
Compared to my Courtois C trumpet I was not very impressed. The Monette was a fine instrument, nothing outstanding. No worth the money they asked for it
dogzstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
Years ago I had the opportunity to try a Monette C trumpet, I had rehearsels with a symphonic orchestra, the guy besides me had one.
Compared to my Courtois C trumpet I was not very impressed. The Monette was a fine instrument, nothing outstanding. No worth the money they asked for it

That sounds disappointing, but honestly I paid for it not more than the new price of a Bach C 180SL, I suppose the Monette can't be worse than that.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogzstar wrote:

My suggestion after 35 years of using Monette mouthpieces and more than 20 years of owning his instruments is to contact Monette, have them take a look to see what mouthpiece was ordered for and fit this trumpet when new, and then if it is close to what you play, find one and play it. If it is not, tell them what you currently play on your traditional equipment, and have them match you with a mouthpiece for the horn. I would also send it in to them eventually for an adjustment and clean-up, new springs and valve felts, etc. The horns play completely different (and substantially better) once adjusted to work with your playing style and mouthpiece choice.

But get a Monette mouthpiece you like and that seems to work well for you with this instrument first. They can guide you and it will be the best thing you can do to guarantee the value and quality of the horn purchase you have made.

I owned a 993 Bb for a while, and while the instrument was too heavy for my preferences in a classical setting, it was wicked awesome for combo jazz.

My 149XL and 61X are great instruments, though I play and prefer the Bach trumpets for my daily work, I respect the qualiy and love the sound of my Monette trumpets as well.

Hope this helps,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
dogzstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
My suggestion after 35 years of using Monette mouthpieces and more than 20 years of owning his instruments is to contact Monette, have them take a look to see what mouthpiece was ordered for and fit this trumpet when new, and then if it is close to what you play, find one and play it. If it is not, tell them what you currently play on your traditional equipment, and have them match you with a mouthpiece for the horn. I would also send it in to them eventually for an adjustment and clean-up, new springs and valve felts, etc. The horns play completely different (and substantially better) once adjusted to work with your playing style and mouthpiece choice.

But get a Monette mouthpiece you like and that seems to work well for you with this instrument first. They can guide you and it will be the best thing you can do to guarantee the value and quality of the horn purchase you have made.

I owned a 993 Bb for a while, and while the instrument was too heavy for my preferences in a classical setting, it was wicked awesome for combo jazz.

My 149XL and 61X are great instruments, though I play and prefer the Bach trumpets for my daily work, I respect the qualiy and love the sound of my Monette trumpets as well.

Hope this helps,

AL

Thanks for your comments doc! Sadly the seller sold the Monette C mouthpiece which came with the C993 before, so I will need to get a Monette piece for the horn as I understand that mouthpiece selection is even more tricky with those horns than traditional instruments. This is why I wrote to Monette for guidance immediately after I bought the horn with the serial number, still waiting for their recommendations One problem with buying a Monette (or any boutique instrument) second hand is that they supposed to be individualised instruments, so I'm buying into sth. which is not built for me and according to my preferences. But it's an exciting challenge I welcome to find the "right" mouthpiece, right setup etc. for my needs. I just wish I could try several Monette mouthpieces before I order anything, but I'm pretty much settled on a Prana C2S3 STC, which I believe should work well in a jazz context with the C993.

If anybody has MP recommendations for the C993, it would be very much appreciated!
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogzstar wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:

Hope this helps,

AL

Thanks for your comments doc! Sadly the seller sold the Monette C mouthpiece which came with the C993 before, so I will need to get a Monette piece for the horn as I understand that mouthpiece selection is even more tricky with those horns than traditional instruments. This is why I wrote to Monette for guidance immediately after I bought the horn with the serial number, still waiting for their recommendations One problem with buying a Monette (or any boutique instrument) second hand is that they supposed to be individualised instruments, so I'm buying into sth. which is not built for me and according to my preferences. But it's an exciting challenge I welcome to find the "right" mouthpiece, right setup etc. for my needs. I just wish I could try several Monette mouthpieces before I order anything, but I'm pretty much settled on a Prana C2S3 STC, which I believe should work well in a jazz context with the C993.

If anybody has MP recommendations for the C993, it would be very much appreciated!

I used a Monette C11 and it worked beautifully for a dark, rich sound. It was before their Prana mouthpieces were introduced, and it was in their "standard blank" that is a little less mass-y than a Bach Megatone.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogzstar wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:

Hope this helps,

AL

Call Monette and ask for BJ Cord. Tell him I sent you, tell him the serial of the 993 you have purchased, and they can look up the instrument and find out what it was made to receive and what balances the horn.

What is your current mouthpiece?

All my best,

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
dogzstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Call Monette and ask for BJ Cord. Tell him I sent you, tell him the serial of the 993 you have purchased, and they can look up the instrument and find out what it was made to receive and what balances the horn.

What is your current mouthpiece?

All my best,

Al

Thanks a lot Albert for the tip!
B.J. was very helpful and attentive, together we chose 3 pieces which could work for me. Unfortunately delivery times for STC3 pieces are up to 6 months, but luckily an online shop has several used STC3 C mouthpieces from my list.

Last edited by dogzstar on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dogzstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Monette C11 and it worked beautifully for a dark, rich sound. It was before their Prana mouthpieces were introduced, and it was in their "standard blank" that is a little less mass-y than a Bach Megatone.

That sounds interesting! The 1-1 series has the biggest rim size of all Monette varieties, correct? I thought everything under 2 as an orchestral piece, therefore I was settled on a C2. Not looking for a lead mp anyway, but do you think a C1-2FL for example would work as a jazz combo piece? If those are similar to Bach 1 or 1X, I may have issues with the high register though.

I understand that it's a very rare combination, but their flugelhorn like "V shaped" FL cup on a C trumpet piece may be very interesting, a C2FL for example.
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully not bumping too old of a post here...

OP, looks like you got your C993 based on your signature. Curious to know how you like it.

I'm also interested in a C Monette, mostly to be able to play jazz music from real books, etc. I'd be interested in that warm, darker Monette sound and am wondering whether this suited you well for that purpose or not. Also curious what mouthpiece you ended up on.
'47 Martin Committee Deluxe #3
'06 Monette B993
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: