• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen 800DLX - Review

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredChops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Getzen 800DLX - Review Reply with quote

I recently took delivery of a Getzen 800DLX cornet and I thought I would post a review of that horn for anyone who might be interested. The horn is on trial, and I have some time before I have to commit to purchasing it.

For some background, I’m in a Brass Band and I’m currently playing a Bach 184G cornet with an XL bore. I really like the Bach, but lately I’ve been wondering about my sound. This Bach sounds very dark and full within the staff at moderate volumes. But, as one plays it higher and louder it starts to get an edge to it that I think is inappropriate for a Brass Band. Thus my quest for a new cornet is all about achieving the proper sound for the ensemble.

First, I’ll make some general observations about the Getzen that would not affect my decision to purchase the horn.

The case is tiny. In fact, when I unboxed it I feared that the vendor had shipped me an Eb cornet by mistake, but it was indeed a Bb. The case is just barely bigger than the cornet, and it doesn’t even have a spot to hold a mouthpiece. There is a small storage compartment under the cornet, but even that doesn’t have a mouthpiece holder. At best one would have to have a mouthpiece pouch to hold a mouthpiece. If I keep the cornet I’ll be purchasing an aftermarket case.

The leadpipe spit valve works well, I haven’t had any problem completely draining the water, as I have had with other cornets. However, the 3rd valve water key is so close to the bell that it’s cumbersome to get your finger in between the bell and the water key. I would imagine that all 800DLX cornets will have the finish worn off the bell near the 3rd valve water key . I would have preferred and Amado water key on the 3rd valve slide

The finger buttons are polished metal, and they are very slippery, especially if you get some valve oil on them. If I keep the horn there is a real possibility that I will rough up the surface of the buttons so my finger tips feel confidently secured to them while I play.

The lower valve caps are very difficult to take off and put on. Note how the leadpipe is canted around the bottom of the horn.

There is almost no room to get your fingers on them. If they get a little stuck after time passes it could really be difficult to get them off. And even though they are now new, it’s tough for me to get my sausage fingers on them to screw/unscrew as needed. If I keep the cornet there is a chance that I will take a Dremel tool and cut some slots in the bottom valve caps so I can use a screwdriver to get them off.

Also, a pet peeve that I have with a lot of horn makers is that the threads of both the upper and lower valve caps are entirely too fine of pitch. It makes it way too easy to cross thread them and just plain isn’t necessary.

OK, enough of that. I hope that I have not given the impression that I don’t like the cornet because that isn’t true. It’s a wonderful horn and the build quality is impeccable.

So now let’s cover some more important details.

The Getzen cornet is physically lighter than my Bach, and it plays lighter also. It is very nimble. I find it easier to get around on, and it slots better than the Bach. Some of the interval jumps that I struggle with on the Bach come out clean and without nearly as much effort on the Getzen.

The high range on the Getzen is also easier than the Bach. On the Bach high B’s and C’s are really stuffy and difficult to play. They sing much easier on the Getzen.

So now we get to the important part, how each cornet sounds. You will remember that was the primary reason I was looking at a new cornet.

When I first started playing on the Getzen I noticed that at medium volumes in the staff it was not as dark as the Bach, and my immediate reaction was “nope, this Cornet is not going to work”.

But, as I continued to play it I started to notice a few things. While the Getzen isn’t as dark as the Bach in the low range, as you move up the scale and increase volume it retains more of it’s lower sound and ends up being not as bright as the Bach does.

As I continued to work with the Getzen I did some real soul searching about what a cornet should sound like. Slowly I started to feel that a Cornet should not necessarily be just “dark”, a Cornet should have a sweet lyrical sound. And the more that I played the Getzen the more I started to like its sweet sound. I have never played the Getzen and thought “that sounds like a trumpet”, I always knew it was a cornet. I can’t say the same for my Bach, when it’s high and loud I think “this sounds like a trumpet”.

Before I make my final decision I would really like to compare the 800DLX to a Getzen 3850, but alas, I can find one in stock anywhere.

So, this has been quite a journey for me. At this point I plan on keeping the Getzen. I think it is a wonderful cornet and will serve me well.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like there are a few things that irritate you about the horn. Keep in mind that because of the design of the cornet with the underslung tuning slide and long valve cases, an aftermarket case that fits it may be very difficult to find.

I’ve never played that new model, but I have played both the older Eterna 800 and the 3850, and I easily prefer the 3850 over the 800.

Last edited by Dale Proctor on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
TiredChops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Sounds like there are a few things that irritate you about the horn. Keep in mind that because of the design of the cornet Edith the underslung tuning slide and long valve cases, an aftermarket case that fits it may be very difficult to find.

I’ve never played that new model, but I have played both the older Eterna 800 and the 3850, and I easily prefer the 3850 over the 800.

Hmm, I hope I didn't dwell too much on the negative, because I really do like the cornet. I was only trying to make a few observations.

Yes, I will try the 3850 whenever I can get a hold of one. If I like it better I'll buy one.

Life is too short to skimp on Cornets...
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the valve block on yours is a little shorter than on the older 800 models. The bottom caps on those were well below the tuning slide loop. The older 800 I played was a bit heavy and clunky, and had some slight intonation problems, but that could have just been me…lol. Your cornet is a real beauty, and as long as you love the way it plays, I suppose you can overlook the nitpicks you noted.

I don’t have much playing time on either the 800 or 3850, so take my impressions with a grain of salt. Each trial was the result of trading cornets with a couple band mates for about an hour’s worth of a brass band rehearsal. The 3850 just seemed lighter and easier to get around on, had a gorgeous sound, and a “normal” short cornet wrap. I also had an older Getzen 850 on trial for about a week and gave it back. The 3850 was a much better instrument than the older 850 version.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would caution you against modifying your cornet in the ways you describe. You could add more grip to the waterkey by gluing a small piece of cork to the top side of the lever (like those little cushion corks that some techs put on the underside of the waterkey lever). This way you're not roughing up the lacquer or metal of an otherwise pristine instrument. For the slippery valve caps, keep a pair of rubber gloves in your case. The extra grip should be more than enough to unscrew the top and bottom caps when necessary (and they work great for unsticking 2-piece mouthpieces).
TiredChops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm worried that I left people with the wrong impression, I absolutely was not trying to bash this cornet. I apologize if I gave anyone that impression.

Here are some quotes from my original post. I want to repeat them to put a positive spin on my evaluation:

Quote:
"I’ll make some general observations about the Getzen that would not affect my decision to purchase the horn."

Quote:
"I hope that I have not given the impression that I don’t like the cornet because that isn’t true. It’s a wonderful horn and the build quality is impeccable."

Quote:
"At this point I plan on keeping the Getzen. I think it is a wonderful cornet and will serve me well."
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 800DLX is a fantastic horn; easily the best cornet I have played. Love the sound for just about any kind of playing.

I agree with you about the valve caps. I also find them more difficult to put on/take off compared to just about any other horn I've owned. I also agree about the third valve slide (though I prefer lever keys to Amado-style) being a nuisance. To me those are acceptable compromises for that wonderful sound and easy versatility, but they are legitimate (minor) gripes.

Quote:
I would really like to compare the 800DLX to a Getzen 3850,

I found the 3850 to have a darker/warmer tone. It is an excellent horn, and I played one for several years, but the versatility of the 800DLX makes it (for me) a better match.
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention what type of mouthpiece you are using. I prefer a very deep, V-shaped brass band mouthpiece on my Getzen 800DLX and the tone is absolutely gorgeous. Having played quite a few cornets over the years, the 800DLX is my favorite.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would chime in quick on a few of the "negatives". First let me say I completely understand and we have heard these before.

In regards to the case, it was modeled off of an old 80 Deluxe cornet case from the 1950's and made to be intentionally small, but (unlike the original) still protective. I would check with whoever gave the horn on trial because every 800DLX case comes with a zippered mouthpiece pouch that fits nicely in the compartment under the horn.

I know the case isn't everyone's cup of tea, but no case is. By that I mean, no matter what we do someone doesn't like it. Either too big, too small, too heavy, too weak, etc... I made the decision to go for a stylistic approach on the Deluxe cases knowing full well that some would end up in closet somewhere.

As for the third slide positioning and cap removal, you are spot on with both of those critiques. I will just say that when designing the cornet, play and performance were our number one concern. This led us away from the long casings on the original 800 and the "canted" tuning slide design. Unfortunately, that meant things got a little tight with the caps and third slide. The only way to "correct" those things would be too alter the design of the cornet's body at the expense of the way it plays.

Despite all of that, I'm glad you're happy with how the 800DLX plays. That is the most important part afterall.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
TiredChops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brett,

Thanks so much for your comments. I've considered deleting my post because it seems like my "negative" comments have garnered all the attention.

That was not my intent, and I wouldn't really consider them "negatives" but more like minor annoyances.

This is a really nice playing cornet, but I am still anxious to try a 3850
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't delete it. They are all valid points. I'm annoyed by the caps as well, but I heard the prototype with the long style casings with easy to reach caps.

The 3850 is a completely different animal. Much more of a brass band style cornet. The 800DLX was, from inception, intended to be an American style cornet... like the original 800. I will say, do not judge the 3850 if you have only played a pre-2020 version. Starting just before Covid, we upgraded the 3850 from a plated, seamless copper bell to a sheet and sheet copper bell similar to what's used on the 900DLX trumpet. It made a world of difference.

Again, I say leave this up. There is nothing wrong with not liking something. It is an honest, first hand review.

Follow Getzen on:

mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you see this again, Brett, what a great response by you. Well done, sir!

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
…In regards to the case, it was modeled off of an old 80 Deluxe cornet case from the 1950's and made to be intentionally small, but (unlike the original) still protective. I would check with whoever gave the horn on trial because every 800DLX case comes with a zippered mouthpiece pouch that fits nicely in the compartment under the horn.

I know the case isn't everyone's cup of tea, but no case is. By that I mean, no matter what we do someone doesn't like it. Either too big, too small, too heavy, too weak, etc... I made the decision to go for a stylistic approach on the Deluxe cases knowing full well that some would end up in closet somewhere…

Speaking of cases, I was really disappointed with the case my Bach 184 came in. Yes, it has a couple mouthpiece holders and a small open area for stuff, but I can’t even get a cup mute in that spot because of how narrow it is. Would it have killed them to have made the case about an inch taller?…lol

I do get where you’re coming from with the retro case, though…it’s very cool.
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 800DXL just before Covid locked down the venues. I could see some solitude on the horizon and decided that I'd need an incentive to practice and a new horn seemed called for. (I rarely buy horns new so this was a bit of an adventure.) So I've had plenty of solitary time with the horn and in recent times, play it on gigs. My lane is strictly trad jazz and it's a fine horn for that type of playing. It's light, nimble and plays evenly across its range. You can play it softly and it speaks, push it and it lights up and command a room. (In general, I do not have a huge sound and this horn delivers for me.)

I did spend some time dialing a mouthpiece to get a sound that would work in a trad ensemble. My current choices would not work in a Brit Band setting but I might select a deeper v-cup and use it in a concert band. When I play in big concert settings or outdoors, I use a trumpet but in a restaurant or smaller venue where I'm not miked, I use the 800DXL.

The case gets compliments on its vintage styling. The horn itself is beautiful and I chose the lacquer so I can enjoy the multi-metal combination. The valves are buttery and the workmanship excellent. A classic horn from Getzen. Try one.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the trumpet version and did find that several of the things you noted I also noticed. The case on mine is a very form compact double case. It feels very solid and I actually like it because I travel a fair amount and I think I could pack it in checked baggage or carry it on more comfortably. The valve caps I also like--they're very distinctive. Anyway... truly fun instruments and a nice contribution to trumpeting in the 2020s.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Speaking of cases, I was really disappointed with the case my Bach 184 came in. Yes, it has a couple mouthpiece holders and a small open area for stuff, but I can’t even get a cup mute in that spot because of how narrow it is. Would it have killed them to have made the case about an inch taller?…lol

I do get where you’re coming from with the retro case, though…it’s very cool.

As a fellow Bach 184 player, I'll echo Dale on the Bach case. You can't get a mute in there. I feel like slightly older case that the band 184 had was slightly bigger, but I still don't think one could fit a cup mute. I didn't have them at the same time, so can't compare.

Either go small, like Getzen did with a nice compact, minimal case - or go big enough for a few mutes - like my old Yamaha 6335 case did.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
As a fellow Bach 184 player, I'll echo Dale on the Bach case. You can't get a mute in there. I feel like slightly older case that the band 184 had was slightly bigger, but I still don't think one could fit a cup mute. I didn't have them at the same time, so can't compare.

Either go small, like Getzen did with a nice compact, minimal case - or go big enough for a few mutes - like my old Yamaha 6335 case did.

I solved the problem by finding a nice Jakob Winter case that was on close-out for a great price. It’s not a lot larger than the Bach case, but look at the difference! There’s even a compartment for sheet music in the lid.

Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up to anyone reading this interested in an 800DLX, we just listed 3 B stock 800DLX's for sale on Reverb. There are two silver and one lacquer. All three have blemished engraving and couldn't, in good faith, be sold as first run.

Check them out at https://reverb.com/shop/getzen-company-factory-direct

There are also two 3003 trumpets in satin lacquer up there with surface pits on the bells that are worth a look.

Follow Getzen on:

bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: 3850 Cornet Reply with quote

I love my 3850. It is however a gurgle fest. I am constantly draining the water or else you get a gurgling. I was actually thinking about installing Joykeys on the leadpipe.

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I solved the problem by finding a nice Jakob Winter case that was on close-out for a great price. It’s not a lot larger than the Bach case, but look at the difference! There’s even a compartment for sheet music in the lid.

Looks nice!

When I played in cornet-only situations, I rarely had any mute needs - and I don't recall ever anything other than a straight - so it wasn't a big concern for me.

That does look like a great case, though.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: