• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

thoughts on Getzen 300 series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graysen Winters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: thoughts on Getzen 300 series Reply with quote

Hey TH,
I got a Getzen 300 series from a thrift store yesterday for $30 in pretty good condition, but I don't know much about it. I figured even if it's not that great, then just the mutes and mouthpieces make up for it (came with 3 mouthpieces, a harmon and straight mute). I dated the serial number to the early 70s. What do you think about these horns?
atrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never played one, I know Getzen has great valves and this horn is a very solid playing horn. For $30, I think you got a steal!!

Mostly musicals and church gigs with the occasional jazz jam
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen 300 what? Is it a trumpet, cornet, Eb trumpet, trombone, Frumpet, etc. Many many brass models in the Getzen catalogue are so stamped. I assume you are either looking for a markup sale (a "picker") or it is possible you want a horn to play. Most pickers can't tell one instrument from another, so I seek honest info.

Getzen 300 is their basic beginner line. Usually, if in good condition, very good equipment. But like all things, condition is foremost. And some condition issues are obvious, many are not so obvious.

As for mouthpieces, information and condition are vital. Honestly, there are rare jewels, true. I have retrieved black tarnished blobs of metal that cleaned up to rare $300 high demand players from $40 thrift buys, but I have quite literally hundreds of carefully cleaned, repaired, and shined up mouthpieces that are really just scrap.

Same with mutes. I replace corks, clean them up, and occasionally throw a "Mute Madness Garage Sale" on the TH Marketplace. Most aren't worth shipping. Some sell for hundred$.

So, if you want clear info on value, pictures, maker names, etc. are vital. If you just want to play it, take it to a shop or knowledgeable friend of teacher.

Best advice I can give, after horn trading and playing for 62 years.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should have admitted that I just gave $10 each for a set of 3 bottom valve caps, so yes, your investment is soild at least if you want to just recover it. It is at least worth the sum of its parts..... a lot more than you gave.
Graysen Winters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="huntman10"]Getzen 300 what? Is it a trumpet, cornet, Eb trumpet, trombone, Frumpet, etc. Many many brass models in the Getzen catalogue are so stamped.

Sorry for the confusion i didnt know there were different 300 series horns. Its a Bb trumpet.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's in good shape and plays well, you got a good horn. Would be a good daily driver or backup, depending on your needs. You could also flip it for a lot more than you paid for it.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the Getzen 300 trumpet series, but I know a lot about their 400 series, which, by some, are considered better quality student horns, and others due to their $2000 Canadian price tag, consider them intermediate horns. I just call my 400 a damn good Bb trumpet that stands tall among my collection of professional Bb's. I bought it in 2020 for $1200 as a new, slightly used, rental trumpet.. So I'd say the 300 for what the OP paid was indeed a steal.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe I've played a 300-series Getzen from that far back, but the contemporary 300/400-series trumpets from Getzen are high-quality instruments. They are a terrific option for beginners and intermediate players (student or adult) and a reliable back-up for advanced players.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have messed with a wide range of Getzen 300's. Worst problems I have seen is that they are so good and solid they get played a LOT. Valves and slides just keep right on working. IMHO with ordinary maintenance, it is hard to wear one out. They are better quality than most other beginner lines. They just go till something bashes the ever living daylights out of it. Or get put in the closet.

I guess the worst thing I have seen other than mechanically smashing them, are a few horns that got stored in really damp conditions They red rotted badly. You can't fight chemistry.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run my brass inst. repair shop for 40 years. I have seen MANY Getzen 300s. They are in my opinion the best student horn made. If it is in good shape I would not hesitate to play it on a gig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: