• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke "fixed bell" vs. "tuning bell"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Schilke "fixed bell" vs. "tuning bell" Reply with quote

I have had several Schilkes in the past and really liked all of them.

As I am getting back into regular playing now, I am getting the itch to purchase a Schilke again.

My question: "If you have played the same model with and without the tuning bell, e.g. B1 vs B1L, how would you compare or differentiate your experience with each?"

Of all the Schilkes I owned, only one was a tuning bell. To me, there was a noticeable difference, so am asking for other's experience.

Thanks,
LDWoods
kgsmith1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you call the shop, they'll probably give a better explanation of this than I can. But there are two main differences: the bell and leadpipe are fixed to the instrument in different (fewer) places, and there's more mass required to fix the tuning bell. You can buy a temporary brace to simulate the effect of a permanent brace to an extent.

With the tuning bell... To me, the extra weight took a little edge off the sound, and what was left was a bit warmer. I also felt like the slots were less defined, maybe because there are fewer points of contact. I haven't gotten the chance to really dial in a sweet spot for where I put the bell. Apparently some people leave the bell all the way in and only tune with the slide, and others leave the tuning slide all the way in and only tune the bell. And all the combinations in between.

I'm actually a little fuzzy on whether I was literally able to try the exact same model with and without a tuning bell. But at the least, I tried a S32HD and S33HD side by side and liked the 2 bell, but when they reconfigured the Faddis floor model for me as a standard S43HD-L, and then swapped the 3 bell for a 2, in the medium bore 4x I liked the 3 bell. So my preference for one bell over another changed when I had the tuning bell. With the tuning bell, the 3 bell was warm enough that I wanted the agility I felt on the 3. So in the end I got the S43HD-L without the Faddis tweaks.

Sound and slotting are both relatively subjective, so your mileage may vary, but apparently the tuning bell can affect these for others too. Some players apparently develop a preference for tuning bell even though they never actually tune or change out the bell, they just like the difference in bracing. I do wonder if after acclimating for a few years I might end up preferring a fixed bell S42HD to a tuning S43HDL. For me personally those two might subjectively feel more similar than the S43HD vs S43HDL.
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a B1 and a B2Lb with an extra #1/“A” bell, i.e. a B1L.

For me, I like the fixed B1 better than the B1L. The tuning bell models’ obvious advantage is the ability to buy other bells with different tapers and materials. The other subjective advantage could be feel, as you can tune with the bell, the tuning slide, or some of both with the tuning bells. But apples to apples, the fixed B1 seems to project better to me. It definitely projects differently, so perhaps other players would prefer the tuning bell.

In my opinion, the tuning bell option slots looser, which could be a pro or con. But use your ears to discern subtle differences in sound, too. Tuning with the slide on an L model gets closer to the feel and sound of a fixed model. But it’s not identical. The prior poster mentioning small weight changes is spot on as well.

Good luck - Schilke makes fabulous horns.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting article:

The Bell-Tuned Trumpet, by Dr. Colin Bloch

https://everythingtrumpet.com/schilke/Tunable_Bell_Trumpets.html

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned both a B1 and B1L at the same time a couple years back before I switched to a B5. The tuning bell horn had more flexibility and felt like a more relaxed blow, at the expense of projection and a little core.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it, very helpful.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Schilke Fixed bell Reply with quote

Hello all,
As WFUnix and F.E. Olds Nut said. I have owned a B1 , B1L, B2L and B2. I have experienced the same looser slots with the tuning bells over fixed belled horns. Having a tuning bell horn did allow me to discern differences of bell flares, which was helpful in the end. The end which led me to really liking the #3 bell over the #1 and #2 bell.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will agree with the tuning bell having looser slotting. In addition, I think a tuning bell Schilke has a less dense core sound, but is more playful.
ronnyc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have large bore and med large bore tuneable bells in the B series and an S42 and S42L. I agree with the comments above about the slotting and core, and like Sharks description of the tuning bell being a bit more “playful”. When accuracy becomes paramount, I do find I reach for the fixed bell.

Although you didn’t ask, I’d like to add that moving to the med bore S series improved my accuracy and endurance, something to consider as you get older (I’m 60), but I’m not sure how much is due to the S series difference and how much to attribute to the smaller blow.

Ron in Youngstown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: