• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

chris botti on playing the flugel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go: the final top act of a three days pop festival in Holland, one of the most popular festivals around:

https://youtu.be/F3xr4bJtxhg

It’s a hiphop orchestra, did you notice the low brass?
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked that.
Kiteman is an amazing player, considering how much I dislike his poor posture.

But get a look at the audience, Who says young people don't like brass?
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Here you go: the final top act of a three days pop festival in Holland, one of the most popular festivals around
. . .
It’s a hiphop orchestra, did you notice the low brass?

GeorgeB wrote:
But get a look at the audience, Who says young people don't like brass?

I could try to make the specious point that here we are dealing with a European venue where tastes are more sophisticated, but I am running out of energy.

My previous posts along this line were primarily an attempt to challenge the idea (raised based on a misremembered snatch of dialog from a fantasy film, no less!) that the flugelhorn in particular is viewed as a "nerdy and uncool band instrument." My point was simply that a lot of pop music fans who hold an opinion along those lines would probably see all wind instruments in that light, not just flugelhorns.

And the funniest part about all this is that I don't even really care about my point!

You're right about this thread, delano -- I can't make chocolate out of it either.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:

I could try to make the specious point that here we are dealing with a European venue where tastes are more sophisticated, but I am running out of energy.

And you would probably be correct if you did try to make a point.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. All this because of Botti's comment?

Chris Botti plays one trumpet in one style and one tone colour. He's a minimalist.

I don't see the relevance of comparing that with the needs/goals of a generalist who may play lead trumpet, then combo jazz, section flugelhorn in a big band, maybe even some classical repertoire.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Wow. All this because of Botti's comment?

Chris Botty plays one trumpet in one style one tone colour. He's a minimalist.

I don't see the relevance of comparing that with the needs/goals of a generalist who may play lead trumpet, then combo jazz, section flugelhorn in a big band, maybe even some classical repertoire.

Good point, kehaulani.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Brams

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether i play Cornet, Flugelhorn, Trombone or even Tuba i do always
end up sounding like a Tin can Trumpet player with false teeth and too
much high register ambition.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
I wonder how a dude like Al Hirt would have done if he had gone Chris Botti's route.

The entertainment/music world was very different in Al's heyday but he played a wide variety of music. While Al could shake the rafters like few others he could also coax a more subdued sound out of the horn. Keep in mind he's doing it on a Jet-Tone.

Al on Desafinado.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al may have played a variety of music but not all of it with the same level of quality. He had completely different musical and entertainment goals than Botti. Apples and Oranges.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chase1973 wrote:
Al Hirt never would've done Boti's route-he was happy w the career he had, I'm sure. We each choose our own musical paths...Chris is a fantastic player, though I don't care for his music, I would NEVER put down his playing. He has his "bag" as it were and that's HIS bag...Chuck Mangione had his...Maynard had his, etc, etc. follow your heart and play the music YOU love-regardless of what others think.

This is it.

There seems to be a great need on this forum to bash players with great popularity. Botti should be a lousy player, And that his sound is in fact made by technicians or comes out of a pedal. Only reverb, I read somewhere. Obviously some accusation of cheating. (Are trumpet players playing in a church cheating?) Have these people heard him playing live? I doubt it. I did. And I read, heard and saw several interviews with him, he is a nice, honest, modest guy. So why call his comment part scold and part brag which should make his comment a 100% lie? He is too nice to scold and to confident to brag. And why see his comment as an attack on the flügelhorn? His comment is not about the instrument but only about SOME players who use that instrument in an in his opinion dubious way. It’s of course about soloists. They have a certain sound but they want for some music, let’s say ballads, a more mellower trumpetsound. But they can’t. And then they switch to the flügelhorn. But that is second hand, a flügel sounds obviously mellower but it’s not a trumpet. So in the end they don’t get what they want. So Botti invites them to work on their trumpetsound, to make that more mellow if they want that.
BTW I write this from my balcony overviewing the Nam Ou river in Nong Khiaw, northern Laos, great landscape, tomorrow travelling on so I am not sure I can react here, WiFi, electricity both unreliable here. Greetings and the best to all of you.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
BTW I write this from my balcony overviewing the Nam Ou river in Nong Khiaw, northern Laos, great landscape, tomorrow travelling on so I am not sure I can react here, WiFi, electricity both unreliable here. Greetings and the best to all of you.

Enjoy your travels!

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Al may have played a variety of music but not all of it with the same level of quality. He had completely different musical and entertainment goals than Botti. Apples and Oranges.

Their approach to the horn and style of music they play(ed) are very different but it seems their goal is about the same - play to a receptive audience and get paid. They both played at NFL games!

I just checked and it seems another similarity they share - apparently neither play(ed) flugel. I hadn't been aware that Chris doesn't. At least I can't find an example of him playing one. Never saw Al with anything but a trumpet.

Hey and they both wore their hair about the same.

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Over the years I've been on TH, threads periodically pop up that criticize Botti for being "too commercial" and not that much of a musician. That's Bolshevik! Like Kenny G and Herb Alpert before him, Chris knows that musicians are poor and the money to be made is with in a largely female audience not made up of musicians, but everyday ladies. They like a sexy looking guy and will spend money to get as close to him as their pocket books will allow. The LOOK is far more important than what the flugelhorn has to offer.

Yep, Chris is a great player. And he has developed a beautiful, warm, dark tone that pretty much negates the need for a Flügelhorn. I believe he plays an old New York Bach 3 mouthpiece - practically a Flügelhorn mouthpiece!

And everything you say regarding his marketing of himself and the gender of the majority of his fans is true. Hell, I think he's my WIFE'S favorite trumpet player. I'm a distant second at best.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
Over the years I've been on TH, threads periodically pop up that criticize Botti for being "too commercial" and not that much of a musician. That's Bolshevik! Like Kenny G and Herb Alpert before him, Chris knows that musicians are poor and the money to be made is with in a largely female audience not made up of musicians, but everyday ladies. They like a sexy looking guy and will spend money to get as close to him as their pocket books will allow. The LOOK is far more important than what the flugelhorn has to offer.

Yep, Chris is a great player. And he has developed a beautiful, warm, dark tone that pretty much negates the need for a Flügelhorn. I believe he plays an old New York Bach 3 mouthpiece - practically a Flügelhorn mouthpiece!

And everything you say regarding his marketing of himself and the gender of the majority of his fans is true. Hell, I think he's my WIFE'S favorite trumpet player. I'm a distant second at best.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Great post, end of discussion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: