• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Happy with a Bach 37

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gradyfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Happy with a Bach 37 Reply with quote

A few years ago I bought my first Bach 37 and found it very stuffy. I tried for about a month to adjust to it but ultimately I gave up. What a disappointment that was.

Afterwards I read on this website that it is not unusual to find the same make and model differ in playability, sometimes significantly. And so I decided to give another one a try.

This new one I have, manufactured in or around 1995 as far as I can tell, is such a delight to play. From the start, it just felt comfortable. I've had it for about a month now and enjoy it more and more each day. I'll be holding on to it for a very long time.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on finding a horn you enjoy!
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all different. And I think some of the stuffiness most people experience has to do with a few little things that can be tweaked. One significant thing is how tight the water key screw is, believe it or not. Try loosening that screw so that the head of the screw is not touching the saddle. Give yourself a couple days to get used to it.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bach 37 didn't become a good player until it was damaged and had some work done to it. I had to replace the leadpipe and went with a Melk MTV-525, which opened up the horn a lot. A lot of braces had to be unsoldered to straighten the bell and realign the third valve slide. Also, I added an Amado key to the dump slide (after flipping it upside down and moving the pull nib to the other side). It became a great sounding horn after all that.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: