• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Backup track for "A Fistful of Dollars"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a__l__a__n

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:01 am    Post subject: Backup track for "A Fistful of Dollars" Reply with quote

I'm looking for a backup track for the trumpet solo in "A Fistful of Dollars". I'm not looking to publish anything. This is mainly for my enjoyment, but my real goal is to make a video recording for my grandchildren.

There are readily available midi tracks, but I'd like something better. Apparently there used to be a better track available which has been taken down. (See Andrea Guiffredi's recording: https://youtu.be/Hnt8M_80udo?t=81 . There are one or two other players' recordings on YouTube which have a similar one, probably the same one.) From the comments on one of those other recordings, it sounds like the backup track was included in a particular recording software package but has been removed. Does anyone know what software package that was?

Any alternate suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was following this thread wondering the same thing.

To the thread author: Was the play along sheet music available for purchase somewhere, or did you transcribe it yourself? I've been wanting to play along with the videos myself.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not identical, but better than midi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMzYuBYTRiM

HTH

Ben
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of accompaniment is that? Is that actually an orchestra? If so, who?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure. I use NotePerformer as a DAW in conjunction with Finale and can get some pretty good sounding tracks. I'd guess it's some sequencing program...
a__l__a__n

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, this showed up about a week ago:

https://youtu.be/QOCWEFNfB0c
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
Not really sure. I use NotePerformer as a DAW in conjunction with Finale and can get some pretty good sounding tracks. I'd guess it's some sequencing program...

Thank you. How does that differ from MIDI sounds?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
a__l__a__n

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought maybe the best option would be to perform the various parts myself as separate recordings and combine them. (OTOH I may just use the YouTube recording I just posted above.) Anyway....

I downloaded a midi file and installed the free Finale Notepad 2012 software. I loaded the midi file into Finale Notepad and saved it as a .mus file. I wanted to see all the parts in the same key, so I used the Notepad feature to display everything in concert key. I then created separate .mus files for each of the instruments, and created a single staff in each for a C trumpet. I then used copy/paste to copy each staff into one of the separate files. The result was separate parts in the same key. I saved each part as a pdf. Playing the parts on a Bb trumpet matches the original movie pitch.

I didn't make any effort to properly label the resulting parts.

I'd post the pdf's here if there was a way to do it.
a__l__a__n

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the audio from the Youtube link above and loaded it into Audible. I did some equalizer adjustments to make it sound better to my ear. I also made some tempo adjustments (Speed up a bit at the start at 64 bpm to sort of match the Giuffredi recording, then accelerate in the exciting middle part to 69 bpm, then slow back down to 64, and even slower in the last measure). The result is pretty satisfactory to my ear. Certainly it's a better match to the backup in Giuffredi than I'll be able to render in the solo!

I suspect there may have once been some professional backup recordings available, and that the copyright owners forced them to be taken down. Otherwise someone would have done it by now, because there are probably hundreds (thousands?) of trumpet players who would buy one. Really the copyright owners ought to give it away. It would be great advertising to draw people to these great old movies.

All of that because I don't have Finale. It could all be done better there, of course!
a__l__a__n

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthes93401 wrote:

To the thread author: Was the play along sheet music available for purchase somewhere, or did you transcribe it yourself? I've been wanting to play along with the videos myself.

You can download a pdf of Giuffredi's solo from the YouTube description.
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a__l__a__n wrote:
matthes93401 wrote:

You can download a pdf of Giuffredi's solo from the YouTube description.

Click on "Show More" in the YouTube description, it's the 2nd download.

Thanks a_l_a_n, great tip on the PDF.
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did YouTube remove the link to the pdf in the description? When I click show more, I see just the text.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
benlewis wrote:

Thank you. How does that differ from MIDI sounds?

As I understand it, midi sounds are a standardized set of sound-card generated files that are usable cross-platform. You used to need a separate piece of hardware for these sounds. I still have a Roland SoundCanvas that was pretty hot stuff in the day. We all remember the cheezy midi files for the early days of the internet. Now the industry is using more realistic sounds that are either sampled real instruments or high-quality computer generated sounds.

Finale and the other major notation softwares started licensing Digital Audio Workstations (DAW) to generate more realistic sound files for their software. Finale currently includes the basic Garritan sounds with Finale. I purchased a separate DAW called NotePerformer which is more realistic still. Then you can get into the very high-end sounds that are available for the professional audio engineer.

I'm sure my explanation is flawed and shallow, but that's the gist of my understanding of the situation.

Ben
a__l__a__n

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthes93401 wrote:
Did YouTube remove the link to the pdf in the description? When I click show more, I see just the text.

Here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ILq7d_tDbrDHhntvy_KpC2qkT-9SXk-/view
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a__l__a__n wrote:
matthes93401 wrote:

Here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ILq7d_tDbrDHhntvy_KpC2qkT-9SXk-/view

Thank you very much. It'll be easier for me to play along now that I can print it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: