• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 6A4A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Schilke 6A4A Reply with quote

I would appreciate any comments/experience anyone has with this mouthpiece.
How does it rate as a lead piece in general?

I'm finding it very playable and also easier to hear above the band than other pieces I've used for lead.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Schilke 6A4A Reply with quote

TrpPro wrote:
I would appreciate any comments/experience anyone has with this mouthpiece.
How does it rate as a lead piece in general?

I haven't tried that particular mouthpiece myself, but another forum contributor who has been a member for over 17 years said this:

"I'm finding it [the 6A4a] very playable and also easier to hear above the band than other pieces I've used for lead."

You may already be aware of this, but the Schilke website says that the 6A4a is one of their "Artist Models" and was originally developed for Bill Chase. Since Bill Chase was a lead trumpet player for Woody Herman and founder/leader of the jazz/rock fusion band Chase, I would say that the 6A4a is probably held in pretty high regard as a lead piece.

You might take a look at these threads:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63428&highlight=schilke+6a4a

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145967&highlight=schilke+6a4a

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142169&highlight=schilke+6a4a

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like and used the 6A4a for lead for a while but I ended up settling on the Jet Tone BC (Bill Chase) model which in my opinion has a slightly cushier rim. I have the original Jet Tone version as well as Patrick's version and Legends Brass's version. The Patrick version is my favorite of all of them, might be worth a try if you like the 6A4a. I think Patrick calls it the PBC model.

That said, the 6A4a is a great lead piece so if you're happy with it, no need to keep hunting!
Aaronis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6A4a and have used it quite often in the past. Overall, I think it's a great piece. I have small lips so it works great for me. However, for me my sound was thinner and didn't get the projection I liked. I went back to my Marcinkiwitcz Shew E14 as my main.
1955 Mt. Vernon Bach
1947 Olds Super
Holton Revelation Model 48
1964 Holton Galaxy Cornet
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind the 6A4a sold to the public is Not what Bill Chase played. The original designs Mr Schilke made for Bill had a nice undercut on them, whereas the stock models don’t have any undercut to speak of. The original design had a 26 throat entrance which dropped to a 28-30 and was longer in length than the stock 27…also, the “a”” backbore of the early ‘70’s was nowhere near as tight and it wasn’t beveled….luckily, I have acquired a couple of Bills Schilke pieces and they have been copied by Schilke and Derek Saidek of Legends…the BC Master is a copy and from Schilke is Ava as a custom model….yes, the difference is astronomical
barnabas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it too bright as my lead role is often more symphonic, but it could be a great lead for screming stuff.
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chase1973 wrote:
Keep in mind the 6A4a sold to the public is Not what Bill Chase played. The original designs Mr Schilke made for Bill had a nice undercut on them, whereas the stock models don’t have any undercut to speak of. The original design had a 26 throat entrance which dropped to a 28-30 and was longer in length than the stock 27…also, the “a”” backbore of the early ‘70’s was nowhere near as tight and it wasn’t beveled….luckily, I have acquired a couple of Bills Schilke pieces and they have been copied by Schilke and Derek Saidek of Legends…the BC Master is a copy and from Schilke is Ava as a custom model….yes, the difference is astronomical

After reading this post from chase1973 I decided to try the BC Master from Legends Brass. I really like resistance for upper register work and the 30 throat really intrigued me.

It came on Monday of this week and I've had a chance to run it through a theater show I'm preparing for as well as a bunch of charts for a big band I play lead trumpet for. The rim is very slightly narrower than the Jet Tone BC which (for me) actually helps interval flexibility. Just my impressions but I feel like there's something about the combination of the cup, throat, and backbore that provide very even resistance throughout the upper register. I really struggle to slot a double A, G# is there and Bb is there but my A has always had a squirrely-ness like I'm bending the G# up or the Bb down. That challenge is still there but I feel like I can steer the pitch center to A much easier on this mouthpiece than on any other I've tried.

If anyone out there likes the Jet Tone BC or Schilke 6A4a, I would say the Legends BC Master mouthpiece is worth trying. Much thanks to chase1973 for the post and for sharing his vintage Bill Chase mouthpieces with Legends Brass to be scanned.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that there are people that like it, for me it was the worst of both worlds, cup diameter is really small and cup depth really shallow. You really need a steel embouchure to master it.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met just a few players that can do great things on small and/or shallow pieces. Not all players succeed at sounding good on pieces this extreme.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: