• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Special Tongue Type ,Reinhardt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokopelli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Special Tongue Type ,Reinhardt Reply with quote

Do you have more information on the tongue type Mr.Reinhardt suggested for people with small lower teeth and a big lower lip ?
I have very,very small lower teeth and (because of that) a very long lower lip.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to give 'Reinhardt' info or advice, but I think the first thing to do is find the lip setting and mouthpiece placement that fits you and gives good results. You should be able to do decent 'breath attacks' (not tongued) for most of your playable range.

For tongue position and method - a lot has to do with the particular size, shape, and how well you can control your tongue. Then figure how you use your tongue position throughout playing range.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J've read enough about Reinhardt to conclude that it would be dangerous for me to give Reinhart technique information without my having studied with a first-generation, long-time Reinhardt disciple.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kokopelli, how are you currently using your tongue while slurring and sustaining? Are you finding problems with your articulations or something else related to your tongue arch that way?

Whatever tongue type a brass musician finds works best seems to be more related to the size of the mouth and tongue than the relationship of the teeth and gums. Players with shorter lower teeth and a bigger lower lip, for example, might be more likely to play best with a mouthpiece placement with more lower lip inside, but there are so many other factors that contribute to embouchure type that I would hesitate to recommend that to you without watching you play.

If you're really interested in Reinhardt's tongue types and trying to apply one of those to your playing then you might try to grab a lesson with a former student of his. I don't think even Reinhardt would try to give you advice on a tongue type without watching and listening to you play.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: