• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

dealing effectively with a layoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: dealing effectively with a layoff Reply with quote

i didn't play for over half a year while dealing with health issues. i kept at it however with the PETE device, and as a result did not lose all my embouchure strength. the PETE, or a pencil, or similar, doesn't seem to cover all your embouchure needs, but it is good for the most of it.
the mistake most of us make is living through our travails, but that's another story.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw James Morrison once say that he doesn't need much warmup and that when he takes extended time off he plays about the same coming back, but with just terrible endurance. I think I'm kind of that way too. I do best if I play steadily and get regular long plays, but taking time off isn't horrible for everyone.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PETE has helped me greatly during my comeback and after breaks. It's a very underrated tool and, IMO, is a big step up from the old pencil trick. Because I do my PETE work in the car, I wish I had opted for the synthetic version, but a few minutes in the hand or dangling in the AC vent makes things right.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in retrospect, i should have handled the layoff with the PETE exercise, but also added this mouthpiece buzzing routine that i do, matching pitches on a keyboard. when you are ailing your mind and judgment are somewhere else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: