• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why is cornet easier to play than trumpet (for me)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Pricey https://www.inderbinen.com/en/maroon-en

Expensive no doubt.
But I love my Basso and find an excuse to play it every day.
Wish I could easily afford more of their pieces.
They have an eight-month waitlist and by my experience it's not for nothing.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have been looking at the Maroon and the Rondo lately but with family and so forth, the prices are clearly out of my range these days. I can still look at the pictures and hope someone posts a sound clip can’t I Also, I generally agree that buying quality is worth it.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kanstul cornet that uses a trumpet mouthpiece and can say many positive things about it, but it does lack that certain charm one gets from playing a standard cornet.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldblow wrote:

You will secretly come to feel that trumpets are strident beasts, best muzzled by large diameter, deep throat, large drill mouthpieces, to give them a voice fit for civilized music.

When I first began regularly accompanying/performing with vocals (female in particular) with both Bb and C trumpets, I found a complimentary voice with larger throat, deeper V cups but still using my regular Reeves 41 rim (41C2J). That piece also seems to work well when playing a supporting role to other trumpets, particularly in many Chamber Orchestra situations. I find a very pleasant (at least on my side of the bell) voice in my Solo C trumpet applications as well (mostly Preludes and Offertories at my home church).

That dawning in my mind led me to my first ever fairly recent cornet experiences. I have found an even more striking blend (and ease of execution) using my Bach 184 and a Wick 5 (much more cost efficient than ordering a Reeves 41C2J cornet shank for experimentation). I like the setup very much! I am, admittedly, new to the cornet world but have become addicted to choosing my cornet over the other voices very often (maybe because it is still a fresh and thrilling relationship). Therein lies, at least for me, a fascination with the many subtle and very desirable differences from my other horns. I pray that this newfound attraction never pales…

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Destructo wrote:
I've honestly started wondering... Are there trumpets that are large bore cornets in disguise but with a receiver to take a trumpet mouthpiece? If so, I'd love to try one.

My initial thought would be maybe something akin to either those old Conn’s that came in both trumpet/cornet version, or something like Adam’s Coppernicus maybe?

The Coppernicus came to mind for me as well, but it's also an unconventional looking instrument.

You're right, some of those Conn "Long Model" cornets sound exactly like what I had in mind. Fascinating!
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Yeah, I have been looking at the Maroon and the Rondo lately but with family and so forth, the prices are clearly out of my range these days. I can still look at the pictures and hope someone posts a sound clip can’t I Also, I generally agree that buying quality is worth it.

I've been drooling over a Rondo lately. It's an incredible looking horn, and I'm sure it plays nicely as well...

'47 Martin Committee Deluxe #3
'06 Monette B993
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weezintrumpeteer wrote:
Brassnose wrote:

I've been drooling over a Rondo lately. It's an incredible looking horn, and I'm sure it plays nicely as well...

This reminds me some of the Schagerl "Raweni" / "Raven" they developed with James Morrison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjkCB_37PBY

Have always wanted to try one of these!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as I keep having left hand issues, any lightweight shorter instrument is interesting. But then I look at my bank account Still, the Raven is on the want-to-try-list as well.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: