• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where do I start? (again)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Where do I start? (again) Reply with quote

I have played trumpet from middle school through college and somewhat after. I've had a couple of private teachers over the years. At my best, I was a decent player in my college jazz band and orchestra. Aside from randomly picking up the horn here and there over the past 10 years, I haven't played in any serious way.

I've never had a good range, having capped out at high C on a good day. I've also struggled with throat tension / pain when playing higher, as evidenced by some of my previous posts from years ago. I'd like to correct that and start playing again.

Where do I start?

I'm not sure that I'm serious enough to get a teacher (and frankly have a million other things happening in life right now), but I realize that's probably the best course of action. Anyone to recommend in the San Francisco area?

Aside from a teacher, what should I start with?
'47 Martin Committee Deluxe #3
'06 Monette B993
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I start? (again) Reply with quote

weezintrumpeteer wrote:
I've never had a good range, having capped out at high C on a good day. I've also struggled with throat tension / pain when playing higher, as evidenced by some of my previous posts from years ago. I'd like to correct that and start playing again.
Aside from a teacher, what should I start with?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Your mention of range, tension and pain makes me think that your 'embouchure technique' might be holding you back - maybe you relied too much on strength and pressure.

I suggest you spend some time thinking about whether some of your old habits and methods need improvement.

I've written about MY thoughts regarding 'basic embrouchure concepts' - it won't tell you what to do or how to play, but might help get you thinking about what you currently do. And it will also give some info about ideas concerning embouchure.
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.docx
or
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.htm

A good teacher who could evaluate and help you improve your basic playing fundamentals would be the quickest way.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You care enough about your trumpet playing, and are frustrated enough by it to post this. Those are good signs that you could use a teacher. There are plenty to choose from in the San Francisco Bay area. Eric Bolvin teaches out of San Jose, and offers online lessons in case San Jose is too far.

Meanwhile, getting back into a steady routine will help with some of the issues you've raised. Harold "Pappy" Mitchell's "Mitchell on Trumpet" consists of a series of fairly comprehensive, progressive lessons from absolute beginner to the very advanced level. If it has been 10 years since you've played much, volume 1 is a good place to start. Good luck!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend posting video of yourself playing - scales to the top of your range, lip flex, long tones, different volume levels, different articulations. Ideally with a clear view of your embouchure.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key word to all of this is "commit."

If you aren't sure you can commit to an ongoing relationship with a teacher, don't start. If you aren't sure you can commit to an ongoing relationship with the HORN, don't expect to get much out of it. Because the horn is not an "every once in a while" instrument.

You can extend range painlessly above high C without a teacher, but it takes patience and a spirit of experimentation. And maybe an acceptance that at some point you will reach a hard plateau to rise above if you ever do. But guys on here with decades of professional experience don't have reliability over E above high C. That should be adequate for any hobbyist. That said, I still try to extend that like the little engine that might be able to some day, slowly and steadily.

Just try to pick up the horn every day like an athlete. Some days you can push it a little, some days you just have time or energy to keep the base solid. If you were in a college jazz band you know the drill.

Play the basics. Play music by ear. Buy a new horn every now and then if you have the money. Find some great talented players and see them live if you can.

It's trite, maybe, but the journey IS the destimation. If you love music enough and trumpet is the way you share that love, you will find a way.
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the replies!

I've got the bug to play again, but as I mentioned, life is a bit nuts right now. I'm not sure that I can really commit long term, but I'd like to start off on the right foot so that if it starts to go well, I'll be more inspired and motivated to keep with it.

@JayKosta - thanks, I'm sure this is the case. I'll take a look at your site!

@Dayton - I ordered volume 1 and 2, thank you! I had never heard of this method in the past.

If I'm going to go the teacher route, I think I'd really like for it to be in person, and San Jose is a bit far for me unfortunately. Anyone closer to San Francisco that you know of? I have to keep my time dedicated to the trumpet efficient, hence not wanting to spend time driving far.

@Robert P - that terrifies me. Maybe I'll work up the courage and do it!

@Croquethed - thank you, I know you're right!
'06 Monette B993
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd reach out to one of the colleges/universities/maybe even high schools near you in the city to see who they recommend for lessons. SF State has a long tradition of good trumpet teaching (Joe Alessi, sr taught there for many years ) and may be able to help you.

If you're north of SF I have a few other folks that I can probably look up the info for
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to get a teacher, I would hold off on buying any printed material. Your teacher will probably have his/her own recommendations.

Absent that, I really like Harold Mitchell's books; progressive and balanced. The only comment I have about Mitchell is that I feel that the learning curve is a little steep, at first, for some beginners.
LINK

You might also like 100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet by David Hickman which is written specifically for comeback players. Written for a lesson a week, if you're advanced, you might tart with a lesson a day. (Then a lesson for two days etc).
LINK

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bagman - great idea, thank you. I did not realize SF State had such a good reputation...I live right up the road!

@kehaulani - it's unlikely I'll get a teacher in the next month or two, so I figured a couple books can't hurt. I already have many others. Thanks for the recommendations!
'06 Monette B993
Big C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the SF Bay Area, can anybody recommend a good teacher (or several possibilities) across the bay in the Oakland area? This would be for my 10 year old daughter, 6 mos. in on trumpet, and also myself (an "occasional/comebacker"). Thought we could "double up" to make it more worth the teacher's while.

I always see the "get a good teacher" advice here (good advice!), but I know some teachers are better than others, as I am a teacher myself (non-music).

Unfortunately, we are too busy to travel further than 15 min. for a lesson, so a lot of it's about location.

Thanks in advance.
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any suggestion for jazz songs / solos that don't go up into the upper register above top space e or so? I'm trying to be cautious about my upper register progression considering the throat tightening issues I've had in the past and would love a few songs to keep me going. Chet Baker, ballads, etc. Thanks!
'06 Monette B993
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weezintrumpeteer wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestion for jazz songs / solos that don't go up into the upper register above top space e or so?

If you look hard enough you will find plenty, but in my case I tend to transpose many of those song well up because they just sound better in a higher key.

A couple of lead sheets you may find in a low enough key ( nothing above top space E ) that come to mind are Watch What Happens, and Where Or When.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strongly recommend you get a teacher to assess your level and help you design a path forward. Hopefully TH members from Northern Cal will have suggestions.

Until you find a teacher, I recommend you log onto www.qpress.ca and spend $22 for Chris Gekker’s book, “Slow Practice.” It contains everything you’ll need to improve your playing in many ways.

While you’re poking around on qpress you’ll also find tons of jazz tunes to play including a lot of Chet Baker transcriptions that are relatively easy and fun to pkay.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weezintrumpeteer wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestion for jazz songs / solos that don't go up into the upper register above top space e or so? I'm trying to be cautious about my upper register progression considering the throat tightening issues I've had in the past and would love a few songs to keep me going. Chet Baker, ballads, etc. Thanks!

Look at things by Shorty Rogers. They might go a little higher than third space E but while he was a good jazzer who played some nice, lyrical lines he was no high-noter, not sure if I've ever heard him play a high C. He had an unusual, locked-in horn posture.

Interestingly despite having no high chops to speak of himself Shorty wrote one of the most iconic high-note trumpet charts of all time - "Maynard Ferguson" to feature Maynard when he was with Stan Kenton.

Here's an example of Shorty. Hits a few As, one Bb toward the end.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: