• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Charley Davis - which 3C rim?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brassmoose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Charley Davis - which 3C rim? Reply with quote

I’m really enjoying the Marcinkiewicz E3/3C rim, which is the Charley Davis model. Does anyone know which Bach era 3C rim this is based on? I’d like to get a 3C to compliment it when I need a deeper cup since the E3 is fairly shallow. Thanks!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you reach out to Marcinkiewicz directly? Their website has their email address and phone number. They should be able to answer your question.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
brassmoose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Why don't you reach out to Marcinkiewicz directly? Their website has their email address and phone number. They should be able to answer your question.

Well, long story short, I placed a custom E3 order with them many months ago, and after a number of delays with no ETA it seems that the order has been forgotten. I have since moved on & assembled my own similar version with top/bb parts. I'm also getting an E3 rim threaded, so I will have my own E3/3C rim.

I was hoping some friends of Charley here might know, rather than hassle Graham at Marcinkiewicz with a (another) question & (for now) a cancelation/non-purchase. I may circle back & make the purchase with a modification, but for now I'm a little frustrated & was hoping to find answers elsewhere.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Charey's 3C Reply with quote

I just called Charley and his Bach 3C is from 1962. He still plays that mouthpiece when he has a need for a fuller sound but most of the time he plays a mouthpiece which Jim New made for him based on the old Bach but with a shallower cup and Bob Reeves backbore. The Marcinkiewicz that Joe built for Charley was played for only a very short time and as a matter of fact this mouthpiece was not based on the Bach. Charley was at a trumpet convention where he saw "his" model Marcinkiewicz being displayed and he told Marcinkiewicz to get it off the display immediately (not quite in those words).

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
brassmoose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Charey's 3C Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
I just called Charley and his Bach 3C is from 1962. He still plays that mouthpiece when he has a need for a fuller sound but most of the time he plays a mouthpiece which Jim New made for him based on the old Bach but with a shallower cup and Bob Reeves backbore. The Marcinkiewicz that Joe built for Charley was played for only a very short time and as a matter of fact this mouthpiece was not based on the Bach. Charley was at a trumpet convention where he saw "his" model Marcinkiewicz being displayed and he told Marcinkiewicz to get it off the display immediately (not quite in those words).

Tony, this is above & beyond! Thank you! Just the info I needed... I have been a customer of Jim New's for quite some time. I just checked out the scan of his Davis Lead Line model (J5F-7-2) on his mouthpiece viewer page & it confirmed some things so I put in an order for one. I assume this is the same piece he made for Charley, that Charley is still using. I do like the Marcinkiewicz model and will likely use it in certain situations, but the Davis Lead Line model has a slight difference that I have been searching for, and you can't beat Jim's service & prices. Thanks again for this great help, Tony!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: