• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton Galaxy Trumpet?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:

Thus far, I'm finding the Galaxy to be a blast to play. I'll probably post a vid on YouTube within a week or so.

Just acquired an early 60's Galaxy a few weeks ago, and thought I'd chime in that I, too, have been enjoying it. I don't have a lot to add to what's already in this thread - everyone's response to a horn is different. I've been playing a Getzen 700 Eterna II and have no problems with it. But I just might make the Galaxy my primary horn. A little heavier; slightly darker, smoother tone (as it sounds from my end of the mouthpiece, anyway). I haven't had a chance to play them both for someone else to compare and give an opinion.

But I can add to the chorus of those touting the Galaxy as an underrated bargain if you're in the market.
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Holton Galaxy Flugelhorn in nickel in my teen years and it had a very smooth and by flugel standards centered tone with only 1 quirk of pitch on 2nd line A. It did not feel as comfortable to hold as a Getzen or Selmer flugel but it certainly made up for that with the centered and velvety tone. I used the Holton mouthpiece that was provided with the horn.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:

That is marketing bull.

I am getting pretty damned sick and tired of people classifying vintage horns by marketing.

There is no such thing as pro, intermediate, and student in the old days. Never was. You are doing yourself a disservice by insisting on classifications that the manufacturers didn't make themselves.

Instruments were produced for a price point so retailers could sell you a lower-priced horn if you couldn't pay a lot... or sell you the top of the line, if that's what you wanted.

Well, I have different experiences. (forgive my bad Englisch since Dutch is my mother language...) I owned once a Buescher True Tone Custom Made as well as an The Elkhart by Buescher. Both where nice horns, both had a great build quality, good valves, no red rot (the instruments where both at least 60 years old) and they shared the same bore size.
The True Tone however had a far better sound and was far easyer to play -in tune- since it had a trigger on the 3th valve rather than the Elkhart which had far less overtones in sound (a dark sound can also be the result of lacking high frequenses in the sound!) and the Elkhart didn't have a trigger on the 3the valve.
For everything in mechanics is a reason, you get what you pay for. I presume the True Tone was at least double prized as the Elkhart when she was new so you can expect a better horn for that money. If you call this 'Pro' 'Intermediate' or whatever it's fine with me.
As a matter of fact I still owne a Conn Victor 22B and a Director 17B. Same story. Both nice horns but the 22B is superior.

I now play a Getzen Eterna 700S, a so called 'a great intermediate level trumpet at a very reasonable price'. Not because she sounds the best (that is to me still my 70's Vincent Bach Stradivarius 37 but just because this particular Getzen made me the last 5 years a better trumpetplayer
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Holton's rule. I love my B47 and both my collegiats, I've been eyeing the galaxy's myself. All my Holton's have awesome valves and sound great and are easy as sin to play. I love to see talk about Holton. I agree with Tom about the whole student intermediat crap if a trumpet plays good then it's a winner
Basmundi66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a Holton galaxy off eBay. It looks absolutely mint condition. I love these Holton horns . They all seem to play so well. I've just sold a T101 that was brilliant . I've got a ST 555 that plays really nice and I've just bought this for £200 . I just love Holton great workmanship and sound and all the ones I've played the valves have been immaculate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: