• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New JEDI MOuthpiEce Maker: DONAT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

annvill wrote:
Donat's site says Touvron = Monette B6S1
It seems to me that the closest to the Monette B6S1 is the Donat 168D.
Can anyone make a comparison between Donat and Bach and Monette?

The B61 is the updated ‘slap’ cup version of the B6, which was modeled after the modern Bach 3C.

Note that historic Bach 3C sizes varied in dimensions - for example, the original Monette B4S was designed after a Mt. Vernon Bach 3C played by Lew Soloff (hence the ’S’), but this is closer in size to a modern Bach 1.5C.

I hope the above about the size equivalence of the Monette B6 and Bach 3C is helpful.

When the B6 was updated to the B6S1, the shape of the cup was updated with what Monette called his ‘slap’ design. This wasn’t a change to one universal new cup design, but a redesign of all Monette cups (sometimes several variants of depth and ‘slap’ shape per rim size) to improve articulations, clarity of sound across the registers, responsiveness, etc. Part of this being a direct result of the onset of CNC technology and the embrace of these components in the design and manufacture of Monette gear.

Best,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
enrico

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested in this Donat Touvron. Is it good for jazz? For lead? It feels quite U-shaped, very scooped on the sides, doesn't that make high notes difficult?
I had tried the 168D, excellent, but I have a fairly bright trumpet (B&S 3137/1) and the mouthpiece is also bright.
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get on with the size & rim I think the Touvron would be great for anything except lead/commercial playing. He's got a Touvron D and a Touvron E with progressively shallower cups if you need more cut in the sound. But all are extremely easy to play in all registers and the stability in connecting registers is addictive.
enrico

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowave wrote:
If you get on with the size & rim I think the Touvron would be great for anything except lead/commercial playing. He's got a Touvron D and a Touvron E with progressively shallower cups if you need more cut in the sound. But all are extremely easy to play in all registers and the stability in connecting registers is addictive.

I thank you. How similar is the Trouvon to the Monette B6S1 ? (Donat considers them similar)
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi enrico -

I've owned both, but not at the same time, so take this for what it's worth.

The Touvron rim is quite different... flatter and a touch fatter. I think it must have more cup volume than the Monette, and the undercut almost seems like it scoops inward, as if a smaller-diameter rim is blended with a larger cup. Not sure if that's true but that's what it feels like on my face. Medium-sharp bite.

I like the Touvron and the B6S1 but aside from general size they're not very similar. I prefer the Touvron but as always YMMV.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to play a Touvron recently. I really liked the rim, the sound, and the articulation for the classical and Christmas music I was playing.

However, the mouthpiece stopped me at high C. Even A over the staff was harder to play than it should have been, and this bothered me at the end of the performance. Though I rarely use high notes, I am comfortable up to F over high C on my GR 66MS in a big band setting.

So, the Touvron will remain in my case for gigs where I need a nice, clean sound and notes above the staff will not played.
enrico

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end I bought a Donat Touvron and a 168D. The 168D is brighter than the Monette B6S1, and much brighter than the Bach 3C. The Touvron is hard to play high, very hard. This doesn't seem like much news to me.
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have to say after a honeymoon, they are nothing special. The Touvron has a very strange cup, otherwise very difficult to play above high C. The 169C in my opinion is too deep, too dark sound for me. The 168D is perhaps the best, but the sound is certainly not that of the Monette B6S1
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask Larrios for a comparison between the sound of the Bach 3C and the Donat 168D, on trumpet?
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I never owned a Bach 3C. I do have a cheap Arnolds&Sons 3C. Compared to that, the 168D is brighter, in Classic blank. The Massive is darker and more agressive than the Classic blank, the Light even brighter than the Classic blank, but I don't have them here to compare to the 3C. Personally, I prefer this model in Classic blank. I consider it an all round mouthpiece.

Ko
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone compared playing the Touvron with the Touvron-D? I just looked at the 2023 catalog and it appears that the Touvron-D might have the same feel but a slightly better high range. I'm not talking about any kind of lead piece here; I just want a bit more assurance above the staff.

This is catalog I looked at. Page 6: https://balanced-embouchure.eu/onewebmedia/Catalog2023EN.pdf
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larrios wrote:
Believe it or not, I never owned a Bach 3C. I do have a cheap Arnolds&Sons 3C. Compared to that, the 168D is brighter, in Classic blank. The Massive is darker and more agressive than the Classic blank, the Light even brighter than the Classic blank, but I don't have them here to compare to the 3C. Personally, I prefer this model in Classic blank. I consider it an all round mouthpiece.

Ko

Don't you find that despite a throat of #23 it seems to be a bit stuffy? The 168D massive has very good intonation, but seems to be harder on the high notes than the Bac 3C or Monette B6S1.
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALETRUMPET wrote:
Don't you find that despite a throat of #23 it seems to be a bit stuffy? The 168D massive has very good intonation, but seems to be harder on the high notes than the Bac 3C or Monette B6S1.

I don't have any problems with it, nor with the Touvron for that matter. For me, they both play very well. As I mentioned earlier, I do find the 168D best in Classic blank, but that's just a personal preference.

Ko
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
Has anyone compared playing the Touvron with the Touvron-D? I just looked at the 2023 catalog and it appears that the Touvron-D might have the same feel but a slightly better high range. I'm not talking about any kind of lead piece here; I just want a bit more assurance above the staff.

This is catalog I looked at. Page 6: https://balanced-embouchure.eu/onewebmedia/Catalog2023EN.pdf

Answering my own question:

Yes! I took a flyer - why not?

The Touvron-D is a similar feeling mouthpiece to switch to from the regular Touvron, and it eliminates the high C limit easily. The tone is not quite as brilliant because of the more V-shape cup rather than the regular Touvron's more C-shaped cup, but it's all around very nice to play. Note: I will use this in church with more confidence since it removes the concern I had with the regular Touvron about notes over the staff. For big-band, though, I'll continue to use my GR 66MS Sanborn.
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems nobody plays the 168D. Larrios and the seller of the mouthpieces Donat, perhaps his judgment is not very representative.
The Touvron is a mouthpiece however with big limitations.
Perhaps copies of the Monettes remain, but only copies.
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

annvill wrote:
It seems nobody plays the 168D.

For what it's worth, all piccolo playing here is on the 168D in Classic blank:

https://www.balanced-embouchure.eu/donat-mouthpieces/video/video-piccolo-trumpet.html

Ko
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to have videos on Bb trumpet
enrico

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the Touvron Classic to be more difficult to play than the Touvron Massive. With the Touvron Massive there are fewer problems on the high notes. Does anyone have experience with the Touvron Massive?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in this Donat Touvron Massive version. I tried one for a few minutes, the profile is very similar to the Holton Heim 2. It sounds good, but what has been written worries me that it is difficult to get on the high notes. Anyone else have experience with this Massive version mouthpiece?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can neither endorse nor dis the Donat, and I have another model than what you are concerned about. But FYI, mine sits in my closet. Not a bad mouthpiece, just no value added to what I already have.

If it were me (and you're not), I would either save my money or spend it on something else.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: