• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thomann ETR-3300S Eb Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Thomann ETR-3300S Eb Trumpet Reply with quote

https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_etr_3300s_eb_d_trumpet.htm

I asked about this 2 years ago and didn't get any feed back concerning the horn itself so I'm gonna throw this out there again. Does anyone have any experience with this horn or Thomann brass instruments in general? The reviews on the Thomann website are quite positive.

I'm dying to get my own Eb/D trumpet, a Stomvi Elite or a Shires 6MS8 would be ideal but I don't have the kind of disposable income to drop on one and I haven't seen any used ones of either available for sale.

Thanks ya'll
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play Thomann instruments but I have bought multiple MP from them. I can certainly vouch for their return policy--they took a return on a fluegel mp no-questions-asked even though it was either my mistake or a mutual misunderstanding at worst (*sigh* ye olde Shank size).

The reviews are good--Why not give it a shot?
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that it's a stencil made by Jinbao or a similar company. They can be quite good instruments. You could look for reviews of other d/eb Chinese trumpets and that might give you an idea (John Packer, etc.).Samuel Plays Brass has a review of what I assume is basically the same trumpet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQAojGhlsDA

In the low brass world, Chinese stencils have become the default step up instrument. I don't know d/eb well enough to know how much of a gap there is between the stencils and professional models. Piccolo seems to be like one where the stencils aren't quite there, but on flugelhorn and euphonium (it sounds like) they're pretty good.
thejoed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Thomann Flugabone that I bought new as B stock, and a Bb rotary that I bought used - they're pretty alright, they look nice and play well but have a very fragile feel to them.

I've also made school purchases of the ACB Flugel, Wessex Flugabone, and Mack Brass Bass Trombone. They all hover around the same price and quality, the last three have the advantage of state side QC after arrival from the East. The ACB is the best.

I've looked at it all and I would go for the Wessex Eb over the Thomann.
Eterna
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Thomann baritone (technically my wife owns it ) and while generally it is an OK instrument to just fool around and play some Christmas carols with buddies and family, some notes are quite out of tune and the first valve slide is too short. Even after a few years, the first valve tends to stick or at least return slowly. As you have a 30 day return policy I’d say go for your Eb/D but just in case make sure to not miss the 30 days.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with cheapo instruments is that if anything goes wrong (e.g. valves becoming unreliable), repairs do not make them better because the material/coating/craftmanship was never good in the first place. On the other hand, I can always take a 50-year-old Conn/Getzen/Bach/ ... to my local workshop and have it repaired, even restored as new.

Have you looked around for, say, an old Getzen Eterna Eb or the like? It might come up used in an acceptable price range and serve you better in the long run.

Also, be advised that Eb Trumpets can be tricky animals. I had a perfectly acceptable Yamaha 6610S (which might also be a good buy if you get one used for a nice price) and realised after some years that I could play everything better on a Bb, C or Piccolo that I might have played on an Eb/D ... but that might just be me or my preference for heavy instruments. I have also never tried an expensive top grade Eb. Good luck whatever your choice comes down to!!!
Realt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,
I bought a Thomann trumpet b stock last October. Lovely looking instrument and great feel to it - to beginner's eyes and to my teacher's initial cursory review of it. However after a few weeks my teacher had a closer check of it and advised that some partials were very out of tune, especially low E, Eb and C all very flat.
The problem with chinese stencils is that there is large element of pot luck as to the quality of the instruments, from my experience with chinese products in the construction industry their quality control procedures are in general (there are always exceptions) way below what would be expected in Europe or the US.

That said, on the positive side even though it was outside their normal free return period Thomann immediately agree to refunding my payment upon return of the trumpet.

So depending on Thomann's return policy for the US, you could buy a trumpet from them, then have it checked out by a teacher or someone with some expertise. Then return the trumpet if it doesn't meet expectations. I would keep any packaging the trumpet comes with for ease of return.

Finally while the Thomann trumpet may not have been up to standard, I had a great experience with their customer service and would use them again.
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Martin re: customer service. And others about the quality

I bought a fairly high-end Thomann cornet a few years ago...looked great - on the outside. Not so much on the inside, so I sent it back and bought a Carol instead. I had no issues with the store/customer service.

I have bought the 900 'Jazz' flugel - the older version. I sold it and wished I hadn't. That was a great playing flugel - seriously good, without any of the issues the cornet had.

Sorry, no specific feedback on the Eb - I have tried other similar Chinese stencils and my advice is that they can be anywhere from OK, through to difficult, to borderline unplayable with other musicians.

My advice would be to keep your eyes peeled for a good used model.
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Thomann FH 600 flugelhorn since two weeks.

I like it. The valves go very well, I like the trigger for the third slide and it sounds in tune enough to play it with other musicians. And it obviously sounds like a flugelhorn.

Maybe I'm undemanding, but for me, it's a good enough flugel.I am not a professional, and the trumpet is still my main instrument.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have mentioned I've put time on 2 different Eb/D trumpets in university. Mostly a Stomvi Elite for orchestral and recital stuff and it was fantastic. One of those experiences where you can feel the magic from the first note. (I've also experienced this with a professor's French Besson Bb and pretty much every Shires I've tried.) The other Eb/D was a Bach conversion by a highly regarded trumpet maker, who's name escapes me at the moment, and it was awful, a complete pain to play. Stuffy, dull, wacky tuning issues.

It's wishful thinking I know but seeing the Thomann ETR-3300 have the same bore size as the Stomvi gives me hope. I'll also look into a Wessex R320 P as someone mentioned above. I'm also wondering if it's worth paying more for silver plating, afterall, if I get lacquered I could always have it stripped to make it raw brass. I've heard mixed things on whether plating or lacquer actually effects timbre anyway.

Something important I should mention is whether standard sized mutes would fit an Eb/D? I do a lot of playing with a Yamaha Silent Brass with the output fed through guitar pedals and amplifier. I guess you could say I play a lot "electric trumpet". Perhaps I could just get an autotune pedal and let that compensate for things.

Anyway thanks for the input so far guys!
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that instrument is in relatively good tune, it's a steal.
imccready

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Thomann flugelhorn 600. It's a copy of the Yamaha 631 and it's a good horn, especially for only costing $270. I put Yamaha springs in the valves and use a Denis Wick mouthpiece, both improving the horn quite a bit.

I also have a Schiller Eb/D trumpet (tuning bell configuration). The Wessex, Thomann, and Schiller are identical. They come in the same cases and include a counterfeit Stomvi 5C mouthpiece, so I assume they are out of the same factory. The Schiller is your best bet for the money (about half the price of the others) but the quality control is likely non-existent. Thomann has a 30 day return policy, no questions asked, and Wessex does good quality control from what I understand. Regarding the horn, it is reasonably in tune and is fun to play. It seems well enough constructed. I did have to replace the corks on the water keys.
Schiller Eb/D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: