• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Equipment Issue or Chops (can't reliably hit A above staff)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prinmancz52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Equipment Issue or Chops (can't reliably hit A above staff) Reply with quote

When I want to start on High A, I invariably miss it. I have no problem doing the same with G, B, C, just A. Could this be my valves being out of alignment with my slides, or is it just something with my chops? It is really frustrating when trying to play the beginning fanfare of Lonely Bull!

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

King Super 20 Silver Sonic Symphony (1965)
Reynolds Silver Bell and Lead-pipe 1938 Cornet
CTrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck,

There is a great exercise in the Augie Haas "Build Your Range" book that deals with this exact idea and might be helpful to you.

This is how he wrote it; in 4/4, at a tempo of 96 bpm, you attack one accented quarter-note on the downbeat of each bar, at a 'mp' dynamic (though you could experiment with dynamics as needed). Do this for five bars in a row, breathing in on beats 3 and 4, then rest five bars, repeating the exercise three times.

Perhaps it's the muscle memory of the chops, or you just need to find the sweet spot for your particular horn. Sometimes it can be equipment based, so you could also try alternate fingerings for it.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Equipment Issue or Chops (can't reliably hit A above sta Reply with quote

prinmancz52 wrote:
When I want to start on High A, I invariably miss it. I have no problem doing the same with G, B, C, just A. Could this be my valves being out of alignment with my slides, or is it just something with my chops? It is really frustrating when trying to play the beginning fanfare of Lonely Bull!

A lot of practice from various angles. The exercise above sounds good.

Try playing an A scale up to the A. Then try to pick off the A with that same setting.

If you're talking about the Tijuana Brass "Lonely Bull" by my reckoning the fanfare starts on an F and goes to Bb.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say that you "invariably miss" the A, do you mean that a note doesn't come out, or do you overshoot or undershoot it?

Can you play the A solidly if you slowly play F-G-A or G-A-B? If you can play the A under those conditions then the issue probably isn't with your horn, especially if it is otherwise in good mechanical condition.

I find two related issues often contribute to a challenge like this. First is hearing the note. It makes it much easier to play a note if you know what pitch you are trying to reproduce. Use a keyboard to get the pitch in your head. The Augie Haas exercise already mentioned (#3 from his book) is really useful, but a modification might be called for initially. If you are working on the A, for example, play a one or two octave A scale and then play the quarter notes as described in CTrumpeter's response. That way the sound of the A will be in your head.

Second is that notes in the upper register come closer and closer together in the harmonic series. You can play the G under that A 1&2 and the B over that A 1&2. So if you don't have a good sense of the pitch you are trying to play, it is quite easy to miss. You might already have encountered how close those partials are together if you've played out of a book of flexibility studies like Colin's "Advanced Lip Flexibilities" or Irons' "27 Groups of Exercises."
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be valve alignment ...

Carefully play all the various valve combinations and LISTEN to the sound quality of the notes. If some combinations result in noticeable 'quality differences' then alignment might be off.

Each valve's alignment might be fine when only that single valve is used, but some multi-valve combinations might not.
Best valve alignment is finding the alignment that gives good results for all combinations - and that requires careful play testing and likely adjustments.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring out the tuner. Play the A and check. It is so common for that note to be quite off with some horn and mouthpiece combinations. When it is, that makes it much more difficult to play accurately. That's one of my checks for whether the mouthpiece works with that horn. Is it gap? Or is it just the architecture of the cup and throat/backbore? Not sure but once found, that A slots accurately and in tune.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the horn and/or mouthpiece. I spent a few decades as a one-Bb horn/mouthpiece guy (Bach 37, 1 1/4c), and I had always had occasional issues with D and E at the top of the staff. Not missing the notes necessarily, but having to be more deliberate in hitting them than I needed to for notes under or over them. Over the pandemic I went on a horn buying spree, and something of a mouthpiece safari. Now I know that it was something about that specific horn/mp combo, and the issue vanishes with others. It wasn't me! I now play that horn with a Curry 1.5c and it dances right over those notes.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some folks struggle with A because it's naturally so out of tune. When you simultaneously tighten your chops to get above the staff you also intuitively try to pull down to correct the intonation. That's not always easy to do.

What's helped me is to play A with the 3rd valve which automatically makes it play lower. Either that or get into the habit of throwing out the first slide a good bit. It might take a while for you to stop over-compensating.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
prinmancz52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Trouble with "A" Reply with quote

Thanks for the great ideas. I think, with your help, I will figure this out!

King Super 20 Silver Sonic Symphony (1965)
Reynolds Silver Bell and Lead-pipe 1938 Cornet
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I think some folks struggle with A because it's naturally so out of tune. When you simultaneously tighten your chops to get above the staff you also intuitively try to pull down to correct the intonation. That's not always easy to do.

What's helped me is to play A with the 3rd valve which automatically makes it play lower. Either that or get into the habit of throwing out the first slide a good bit. It might take a while for you to stop over-compensating.

+1. I find that note is often better with 3rd valve, and if I don't play it with 3rd valve, I always try to use a bit of 1st valve slide extension. It's high enough that it's treacherous to try to bend a sharp note down to pitch without sliding into something else by accident.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lead part for April in Paris starts on A. We played it recently and if I was really focused I would clam the entrance. Treacherous is a good word to describe it.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
chameleonj04

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a comeback player after about 5 years of no playing. I always played off to the side of my chops on the right side and could play up to double G but I’ve had endurance issues with that setup. I’m thinking of changing my chops to be more centered in hopes of addressing the endurance issue. Any feedback on whether or not I should try this would be awesome. Thanks!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chameleonj04 wrote:
... I’m thinking of changing my chops to be more centered in hopes of addressing the endurance issue. Any feedback on whether or not I should try this would be awesome. Thanks!

---------------------------
Has the reason for playing off-center changed?

If it's a matter of teeth or lip structure, then 'just maybe' you might find a different mouthpiece that both works and allows a more centered position.

Do you get any lip bruising or injury?
Is the endurance issue because of 'lip muscle' fatigue, 'lip control lost' due to rim pressure, or something else?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A soprano cornet trick to help with an A above the stave (D above top C on a Bb instrument) is to play it on third valve only. It may help, but it's a fickle note because it's close to other partials so sometimes these aids are more of a mental thing than physically making it easier.

I try to concentrate on getting the tongue position right and hearing the note, and as suggested above, work up to the note, and try to figure out what you're doing when you attack the note then, and work on replicating that when you take the instrument off your lips. Practicing without tonguing to initiate the note is also something worth working on. Long tones and lip flexibilities are also things to work on to strengthen your embouchure.

On initiating without the tongue, an exercise I've seen which I felt helped me was to start blowing for a few seconds, like as if you're about to play, but then initiating the note say 2-4 beats after, on a deliberate beat. Also, these exercises also work best when you work on being able to come in at a softer volume.

Maurice Andre, when he would get asked about how he is able to hit notes with excellent precision, his comment was that he spent 5 years to learn how to attack the note. So also prepare yourself for the long term.

The tl;dr of this is, you need to work on your muscle memory, to do everything you need to do, very consistently, so that the note is a reliable part of your range. Since note attack is a very wholistic thing (from your breath, tongue, lips and instrument pressure, basically everything), you need to work on figuring out what are you doing that is holding you back, and then work on improving that, and then making it an automatic and very relaxed approach.
Cuso

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the horn.
Could be the chops.
Could be between the ears.

When I was playing in the circus, there was a number where we had a 10-11 minute pause because the clowns were clowning around. Then the orchestra had to come in out of nowhere with a big chord for effect. I had a written high C#.

At the beginning of the season when I was fresh it was no problem, but after 2 months of 2 shows a day that C# got bigger and bigger in my head. As the chops got stiffer and stiffer, I was doing everything to set that #&%§' ing C# up: playing it sotto voce beforehand, scooping into it etc.

I'm sure every player whose ever sat in a pit somewhere waiting for an entrance has gone through this issue, so I wouldn't sweat it. If you have a friend who plays ask them to check your horn. Even the local repair shop probably has a person who can play an A and you'll see/hear if that's the problem.

I'm a "Restarter" myself and the last thing I want to do is start adjusting my setup just to improve my accuracy on individual notes. I'm not playing with the Chicago/Boston/New York Symphony Orchestra and if I fold on an entrance nobody is going to shoot me, but if you let stuff like this get into your head you'll be fighting an uphill battle which will set you back.

I myself practice Irons interval studies for confidence, and picking up the cold horn and hitting any chosen note. Set & hit, Set & hit, Set & hit. Works for me, maybe not for you.
Yamaha YTR-9820 Piccolo
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Equipment Issue or Chops (can't reliably hit A above sta Reply with quote

prinmancz52 wrote:

A quick way to check if it's you or the equipment would be to get your hands on a couple of other trumpets and mouthpieces and try it on those.

With that said, I'd be willing to bet that it's you and not the equipment. There was a time for me clear clear back when I'd have a hard time nailing that A. The G below it was easy, but the A seemed like a much smaller target. Once I got to my first Army band assignment and started playing all the time, my accuracy greatly improved - it almost had to with the amount of time I was putting in on the horn. I remember thinking one day, "Wow - I don't seem to have any issues picking off that A anymore."

Try some other horns first though.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: